Add-a-leafs worked!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2001, 01:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Add-a-leafs worked!

Hello, all

Just to let you know that I added custom-made add-a-leafs in the back of my 97 4x4 SC. The previous owner had a 5th wheel in the back of this truck at one point. It did sag the rear leafs a bit. The truck sat level, and sagged with any kind of load on the back. The left rear actually was 3/4 inch lower than the right when measured to the bottom of the fenders directly above the tires. Now, both sides sit nearly equal in height, the actual height increases being exactly one inch on the right, and 1.5 inches on the left. So now, both sides sit almost equal. It gives more clearance, better height between the tire and fender, stiffer springs ( I could tell the difference right away when I bounced on the rear bumper), and a bit of a rakish tilt front to back. Some guys don't like the "tilted" look, but I do!

The customs leafs and new center bolts were made up by a heavy equipment shop in town. They were 3/8 thick, and made to fit between the stock 1st and 2nd leafs. They are nearly as long as the top springs. The fellow at the shop said this would give the most lift and payload increase, while still keeping a decent ride.

I may eventually get 1 or 2" taller lift blocks than the stock 2" blocks, and new u-bolts, of course. Next, I will give the front a bit of a boost with a torsion bar tightening, no more than 1 inch, or max of 2.5 turns. This will be followed shortly by new Rancho 5000's and stabilizer shock. All in all, a pretty cheap but effective suspension upgrade.

I hope this helps any of you who are considering something similar. If any of you have any useful tips or advice, I am all ears.

Old 04-12-2001, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey JimW,
How much did the local shop charge you for the "custom" leaf spring? You should ask the local shop to see if than can make you a custom set of arched rear lift springs for a 4" lift. Custom rear leafs are far superior to rear blocks. Anyways....I bet it sure is great to have a shop like that in town.

g-luck,

-jd

Quick Reply: Add-a-leafs worked!