Squeaking Front End

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 04:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Squeaking Front End

I have a 2000 4x4 with about 56k miles, and am having a problem with the front end on the passenger side almost constantly squeaking on while over minor pot-holes and bumps, and its getting worse. I have taken it to a dealer and another shop and they said the both tie-rod ends and suspension seamed tight and could not pin-point the noise.
I know that the tie-rod ends can dry out, does anyone think that this could be the cause even if they are not very loose, what about replacing all the busing on the front end?

Old 08-12-2003, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it could be the pitman arms. mine squeaked all the time until i greased them

Old 08-12-2003, 04:56 PM
Hello footwart,

Thanks for the reply, I do grease the pitman arms every other oil change.

Old 08-13-2003, 12:52 AM
I had the same problem on my old 99. A bad ball joint.

Old 08-13-2003, 10:21 PM
rkjerue--there is no grease zert on your pitman arm. The only way to grease it is with a hypo needle hooked to a grease gun. (or replace the pittman arm with a new one that does have the grease zerc). Sorry if you already know that but just wanted to make sure there was no confusion on that point. To test for squeaky pittman arm, with engine idling in your driveway, turn steering wheel slowly left to right. If you hear squeaking noise, probably the pittman arm. Just get a $3 grease needle, a grease gun and shoot some grease thru the pittman arm rubber covering. (pittman arm is on drivers side). Best to dab some silicon over the hole to keep out dirt. Has worked for me and i have over 150,000 on my 97f150 with zero squeaking.

Old 08-21-2003, 11:01 AM
In case anyone is interested,

I found it, the hard way, the reason why I was getting a squeaking noise from my front end. It took 4 trips to various mechanics and dealers, replaced a perfectly good set of shocks and spend over $500. When I had my first set of new shocks installed, after a week or so the bushing got dry squeaked, that was it, all that money and trouble for a little grease on the bushings. So save your self some trouble, especial if you live in a dry climate like my, Southern California, if you get new shocks have them lube the bushings when they are installed.

Last edited by rkjerue; 08-21-2003 at 11:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Squeaking Front End