Lift without kit...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2000, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TAKE YOUR BARS ALL THE WAY UP AND STICK AN ADD-A LEAF IN THE REAR AND THERE YOU GO. I DID MINE AND ADDED A 2" BODY LIFT W/ 35'S AND IT SITS AS HIGH IN THE FRONT AS A 99 CHEVY Z-71 W/ A 4" TRAILMASTER AND 295'S!!!! THE REAR ON THE CHEVY IS TALLER, BUT MINE SITS LEVEL!!!! YOU GAIN AROUND AN INCH AND A 1/2 OR 2....DEPENDS ON YOUR TRUCK...

------------------
TIM WEIGEL
1998 lariat 4x4
bright red-silver metallic frost
grey leather
2"cepek body lift
torsion bar adjusted up
add-a leaf in rear
35-12.50R16 SWAMPER SSR'S..(SOON TO BE SOME NEW COOPER DISCOVERER A/T'S IN A 315, IF YOU CAN FIND 'EM)
16x10 american racing baja's
westin chrome grill/brushguard
westin chrome nerf bars
q-s chrome double/single rollbar
six cepek 135 watt chrome lights
custom made spare tire carrier in bed
body colored factory skidplate
body colored interior panels
5% tint..(5 and factory on the rear)
enough to keep me busy for a long time.

Old 08-09-2000, 03:02 PM
TIMSBIGRED.

You definitely don't want to max out the torsion bars. One inch is all you want to push those torsion bars. If it's just a 2" lift you want. Some of the same companies that design the 3" body lifts, also make 2 inch body lifts. (As far as I'm aware, no one makes a 2" sus lift for the new Fords)One of the best things about the new Fords is: most of the frame is sucked under the body already, unlike the chevies. So if you just go w/a 2" body lift, you won't show too many guts. Still even the 3" is pretty well hidden on the new Fords.

Now be aware that a body lift separates the body from the frame. A suspension lift (like tightening the torsion bar for one inch, adding a leaf in the rear, and the standard sus lift) all increase the space between the frame and the axles, hence more wheel *and* frame clearance. The body lift will give you no frame clearance, only tire clearance (larger gap in fenders only).

------------------
1999 Red F150 4x4 5.4L XLT X-Cab
Towing Package
Corporate 9.75 Rear Axle, 3.55 Limited Slip
Corporate 8.8 Front Axle, 3.55 Open
K&N Generation II
Jet Chip
32x11.50 Super Swamper SSR
coming soon
Gibson Headers
40-Series Flomaster exhaust

Old 08-09-2000, 05:35 PM
RED BULLSR,
DON'T REALLY UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE GETTING AT, BUT I ALREADY HAVE A **** CEPEK 2" BODY LIFT INSTALLED AND HAVE THE BARS ALMOST ALL THE WAY UP...PLUS AND ADD A LEAF IN THE REAR. I HAVE GOOD CLEARANCE OVER MY 315'S.....MY TIRES NEVER RUBBED WITH THE 8 INCH WHEELS, BUT DID WHEN I GOT MY NEW 10" WHEELS. I HAD TO DO SOMETHING QUICK, AND THE BARS WERE THE QUICKEST WAY TO DO IT. I JUST NEVER CORRECTED IT. I LIKE THE FIRMER RIDE, ANYWAYS. IT BOUNCED TO MUCH WITH THE SWAMPERS AT STOCK SETTINGS. IS IT DANGEROUS TO HAVE THEM ALL THE WAY UP?

------------------
TIM WEIGEL
1998 lariat 4x4.
bright red-silver metallic frost.
grey leather.
2"Cepek body lift.
torsion bar adjusted up.
Rough Country add-a leaf in rear.
315/75R16 Cooper Discoverer A/T.
35x12.50 Swamper SSR's for spares.
16x10 american racing baja's.
westin chrome grill/brushguard.
westin chrome nerf bars.
q-s chrome double/single rollbar.
six cepek 135 watt. chrome lights.
"CUSTOM" spare tire carrier in bed ($3.50 worth of scrap metal, looks like the $250 ones!!!).
red factory skidplate.
red colored interior panels.
5% tint..(5 and factory on the rear).

Old 08-09-2000, 06:36 PM
TIMSBIGRED,

Did you have any problems with the 315's on 16x10's after you cranked the torsion bars? Are they hitting the rear of the front fenders? I have a 3" body lift and want to run 35's, do think I will have a problem?

cpdice

------------------
1997 F-150 Lariat ORP ext
cab 4.6 auto, 3" body
lift, westen nerf bars,
tube bed rails, custom
dual exaust w/ 3.5" X 24"
ss t

Old 08-10-2000, 12:49 AM
Post Lift without kit...

Question to my F-150 brothers, Is there any way possible to give my truck about a 1 inch lift, front and rear with out spending lots of $$$ ? I have a 2000 F-150 4x4, I alreeady adjust my torsion bars to level myself off. Thanks for aany input...

------------------
Thanks....Nick0202

Old 08-10-2000, 10:27 AM
TIMSBIGRED,

Oh yea! It's almost a sin to adjust the torsion bars any higher than an inch over stock. To be honest, I have trouble understanding the science of the stress on the rest of the steering/IFS components.

As far as the torsion bars, think of it like this: point your arm out parallel to the ground and hold a steel rod in your hand. Then let someone grab the pertruding parts of the bar on both sides of your fist and twist, twist, twist. That's what your doing to your torsion bars.

Now, it's true, the ride is going to be a little rougher (and some do like it this way as you have stated, I too hate the sloshy bouncing and threat of bottoming out and damage to front end components), why? Because you have almost no negative travel. You have taken away near all comfort zone for the IFS components to move freely. (again the science is very fuzzy) This is torture to your ball joints, tie rod, pitman arm, drag link, components of the IFS, etc.

Now, we probably have different views on maxed out, so you may be ok. As long as you didn't go *too* much over an inch, you can relax. As posted elsewhere about this topic, these are "height adjustable torsion bars." Just don't overdo it.

Old 08-10-2000, 11:55 AM
cpdice,
when i first got my truck,(a graduation gift 2 years ago) i went to work and done all the add-ons. i put 305/70r16 goodyear m/t's and the belts busted 3500 miles into them. weak weak tire. i then replaced them with 35x12.50 super swamper ssr's on 16x8 centerline hellcat wheels. they barely touched the factory flare when turning. they did not touch inside the fender at all...(frame, torsion bar, ect..) in may i bought my 16x10's and they rubbed bad, bad, bad....i trimmed a bit more of the fender..still rubbed. i then adjusted my bars up 4 complete turns. no rubbing...it sat a bit high in the front..kinda pre-runner, so installed an add-a-leaf. perfect. i just installed my 2" **** cepek body for some extra height. to answer your question, yes, you can definitly run 315's on 10" wheels with a 3" body lift. i ran 35" swmaper on 8" wheels at factory heighth for almost a year and a half. you will have no problem...depending on your back spacing. mine still touch the frame at full, complete steering lock. what wheels are you looking at or have?

redbullsr,
thanks for the info....i am going to have the local 4x4 shop take a look and see what they think..maybe i went to high? don't really know. i love the firmer ride, quick steering, just feels alot better. i just don't know!!!!!!

------------------
TIM WEIGEL
1998 lariat 4x4.
bright red-silver metallic frost.
grey leather.
2"Cepek body lift.
torsion bar adjusted up.
Rough Country add-a leaf in rear.
315/75R16 Cooper Discoverer A/T.
35x12.50 Swamper SSR's for spares.
16x10 american racing baja's.
westin chrome grill/brushguard.
westin chrome nerf bars.
q-s chrome double/single rollbar.
six cepek 135 watt. chrome lights.
"CUSTOM" spare tire carrier in bed ($3.50 worth of scrap metal, looks like the $250 ones!!!).
red factory skidplate.
red colored interior panels.
5% tint..(5 and factory on the rear).

Old 08-10-2000, 02:59 PM
First of all, nick0202,

I completely missed the fact that you were talking about a *1* inch lift. How I missed that, I don't know. How come no one told me! Turning the TBars up ONE (give or take a little) inch is fine for the front. Then it will probably be level. As far as the rear, you can leave it alone if you want to. But some people will add an extra leaf to the pack to bring it back like it was first of all.

TIMSBIGRED,

Please, don't give any more money to a 4x4 shop. If all you EVER did to the Torsion Bars was turn the adjuster bolts 4 (give or take a little) complete turns, then you're fine. I was worried I'd make you sweat and that's exactly what you're doing. I just want you to be cautious that there's a fine line existing on that torsion bar. Once it gets too stiff (maxed out torsion bar), you will have problems in the future. Hell, I had plans to crank up my torsion bars, but only 4 complete turns. I just don't have the money to do the realignment right now. Your setup sounds just fine.

[This message has been edited by Red BullSr (edited 08-10-2000).]

Old 08-10-2000, 03:31 PM
I should have been more clear. I raised the front about 3/4 ", and I wanted to raise the rear about an inch. I can't go with a full blow suspension lift or my wife would kill me. I had a 4 inch lift on a wrangler w/ 35's and she hated it. So, I must do something that isn't too noticeable, but will give a little lift over the stock boys...

Nick0202

Old 08-11-2000, 12:44 AM
Smile

Thanks for the input. I will be considering my options in the coming days.

------------------
Thanks....Nick0202

2000 BLACK XLT, 4X4
SUPER CAB, 5.4 TRITON
TORSION BARS ADJUSTED
FLOWMASTER 40 SERIES, DUAL OUT THE REAR
K & N AIRFILTER.....MORE TO COME..

Old 08-11-2000, 07:56 AM
Question

TIMSBIGRED,

Thanks for the info!

I am planning on running 35x12.5x16.5 BFG AT's on 16.5X9.75 wheels. I already have the 3" body lift. I just want to make sure that they will not rub on the rear of the front fenders. The valance can be trimmed easily.

Any one out there know how much more road noise that BFG MT's make over the AT's? 99% of my driving of my driving is on the pavement. I had some General Grabber MT's in the past and the road noise drove me nuts. Are the BFG MT's as bad as the General's I see a majority of people running MT's, but I'm leaning toward AT's. Any advise?

------------------
1997 F-150 Lariat ORP ext
cab 4.6 auto, 3" body
lift, westen nerf bars,
tube bed rails, custom
dual exaust w/ 3.5" X 24"
ss tips

Old 08-12-2000, 12:35 AM
Talking

Hey guys, Red BullSr...would you please check my thread here about torsion bar adjustments? Thanks.

-AR

Old 08-14-2000, 02:40 PM
Jackal,

Thanks for the added info. I checked it out. But none of the replies seem to be like mine: Fairly new truck (20K miles) wanting more lift (1") from adjustable Torque Rods. I understand I will be putting my IFS in jeaprody ONLY if proper adjustments AREN'T made succeeding the modifications to factory specs. That's the most important thing.

I actually spoke with a mechanic (in College Station, TX) at a Ford dealership (Varsity Ford, CS) and explained my vehicle, concerns, and hopes to him. He told me it was ok and that I would not be hurting anything as long as I don't go much more than an inch and ALSO, bring it in for a realignment.

I tell you guys what, I will take it to another Ford dealership (where there are a bunch of OLD, WISE, professional mechanics) for a second opinion. Mainly for me, but for the rest of us as well, I want to hear it again. And I will take his suggestion seriously. Intentions will be like this: I want just a little more ground (not tire) clearance. I care very much about the integrity of the suspension and ride quality and don't want to put any (even if minute) strain on any of the components. Can I tighten the Torsion Bars to aquire this extra clearance; and if so, what (even if not terribly necessary) adjustments should be made afterward?

I'll ensure to him, that I realise this adjustment (TBars) probably isn't necassary and probably also foolish, but I want an inexpensive (but correct) way to gain minor lift... just so he'll think I'm immature. I'll come back with his/her words as soon as I can. Sorry for the short story, long.

Quick Reply: Lift without kit...