AXLE WRAP

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2000, 11:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only time I really have this problem is on full acceration, or power braking. Screwing around mostly, but on ocassion is happens on hills, I guess where more than usual pressure is applied to the rear differential. If I power brake hard I can watch it happen under the truck...The f150s 4x2 only have like 2 leafs in the springs and a little short thing they might count as a 3rd..I think the traction bars will take care of the problem for me...(crossing fingers)..DAVE

Old 05-05-2000, 12:24 AM
Dave, before you spend the money on the bars you should look into an add-a-leaf. It will lift the back 2 to 21/2" and it will replace the blocks. They are only $50 or $60. Call 4wheeldrive wholesellers, they know about these add a leaf. Another plus, it will give some needed strength to the rear springs. Just a thought. I might go that way myself.

------------------
Black 99 xlt sc flairside,4.6 2w.d.,50 series flowmaster catback,
superchip,
RS9000 shocks,
3" lift procomp spindles,A/R Phyton 285/75/16 A/T B.F,
Ford 9mm sparkplug wires.
Snug Lid.2 KC daylighters.

FUTURE MODS: LS AND 4.10 GEARS.

Old 05-05-2000, 08:21 AM
I happen to have an add-a-leaf like veloci mentions as well as the 2" blocks. I got my leaf from 4 wheel parts but it only gave me a lift of 1", no more! That's why I added the blocks as well. There may be different brands of add-a-leafs that add more height, but I only got 1".

I'm not sure if this is why I haven't heard a problem...Thanks.

Old 05-05-2000, 11:26 AM
Davensa,
I'm not sure, but I don't think an intermittent clunk is wheel hop or axle wrap.
Wheel hop is a rapid fire type of thing caused by the axle wrapping the leaf spring until something gives, which is usually the traction of the tires. A clunk would be slop in the drivetrain somewhere. I think too much lift causes the slip yoke of the driveshaft to be pulled away from the tailshaft of the transmission. This would put additional leverage on the tailshaft & if theres a little slop in the tailshaft bearing, maybe thats it. I guess you could check it by grabbing the driveshaft @ the slip yoke & see if it wobbles around a little bit. Another indication would be if that seal around the slip yoke @ the end of the transmission is leaking. Hope this helps.

I apologize for not having a signature, but I've changed my mind so many times about what tires & lift to go with I figured I'd wait until I actually got the mods done.

Old 05-05-2000, 01:30 PM
Actually I have had the slip yoke problem from day one....From the factory..The axle wrap not hop..is when the differential is actually twisting the leaf springs, I can watch the differential actually starts to twist up towards the bed of the truck, and when I let off the gas "cluck" it pop back into place. It is caused by weak springs, I can add a add a leaf but the traction bars not only stop axle wrap, but helps in stopping side to side movement (dont have that yet) Havent made up my mind on what to do yet, still researching......Thanks again, for everyones help.....Dave

Old 05-06-2000, 09:43 PM
OK ordered the traction bars from superlift yesterday, hopefully they will be in on Thursday....Will let you know the outcome and cost.....Dave

------------------
1998 F-150, SC/Flairside,oxford white 4x2,4.6,auto,3.55s,nerf bars,cls 111 towing,bed liner w/mat,atlas polished wheels w/285/75 R/16 BFG A/Ts (black side out),all plastics guards/bug shields,air raid/k & n filter, superchipped, duals out the back corners, flow master 3 chamber, snug top lid, f-150 online sticker back window-honk if you see me!!! Fabtech 3 1/2 lift .coverking dash cover, Lumi Logo's (front and rear), clear front corner lenses, muth mirrors,3" bullseye spindles, dash mounted CB, (TX Chapter requirement,lol),personalized license plates.

San Antonio
DWESSELS89@AOL.COM

Old 05-07-2000, 12:55 AM
Dave-
Post some pics after you get it on. I'm interested to see how it looks installed. Good luck, I hope this helps the problem.

Old 05-07-2000, 02:07 PM
Red face

Davensa,
Can you take a look at your rear wheel and see if it is centered in the wheelwell. I just noticed my wheel is sitting more towards the rear and not centered in the well. Just a thought. Didn't know if this was normal. Maybe do to this axle wrap it has somehow rocked the axle to the rear??? Anyhow, I'm trying not to hear the noise anymore, stereo works great! I think I'm going to wait and see how your set-up goes before I go and try anything else. Guess that would make you the ginny pig!!! LOL!

99' F-150 XLT Flarside S/C
Harvest Gold V-8, Auto, CD
CHANGES (or) MODS:
17" ORP Chrome Wheels & GY AT/S Tires
Lumar Tinted Windows, Bugdeflector II, Pendaliner SR, Clear Corners, Bullseye
3" Spindles w/ 3" Block & U-Bolt.

Old 05-08-2000, 07:47 PM
OK will check, its pretty centered. I can put a fist between tire and rear fender, and 1 fist between tire and front fender...Will post a picture for the traction bar set up..Hopefully it will be installed by Saturday......Dave

------------------
1998 F-150, SC/Flairside,oxford white 4x2,4.6,auto,3.55s,nerf bars,cls 111 towing,bed liner w/mat,atlas polished wheels w/285/75 R/16 BFG A/Ts (black side out),all plastics guards/bug shields,air raid/k & n filter, superchipped, duals out the back corners, flow master 3 chamber, snug top lid, f-150 online sticker back window-honk if you see me!!! Fabtech 3 1/2 lift .coverking dash cover, Lumi Logo's (front and rear), clear front corner lenses, muth mirrors,3" bullseye spindles, dash mounted CB, (TX Chapter requirement,lol),personalized license plates.

San Antonio
DWESSELS89@AOL.COM

Old 05-19-2000, 05:02 PM
CCLA,
No it hasnt come in yet. Ordered 2 weeks ago today and still hasnt come in. Seems there is a long back order, go figure. Guess we arent the only ones that found out about Fords weak springs.......Dave

------------------

San Antonio
DWESSELS89@AOL.COM

Old 05-20-2000, 12:33 AM
Question

Did you ever get those Bars installed ????

Pics????
Efectiveness????

Old 06-14-2000, 10:20 PM
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!
Well I got my superlift traction bars today and they are installed..They work great and I will post pictures as soon as I can..To dark right now....Will try tomorrow. (no more axle wrap)Dave

------------------

San Antonio
DWESSELS89@AOL.COM

[This message has been edited by DAVENSA (edited 06-14-2000).]

Old 06-16-2000, 10:18 AM
Talking

WELL???????

Old 06-16-2000, 02:45 PM
Sorry was out power washing mine and my dads driveways....Got the photo though...Here it is,, photo is from the rear - forward..DAVE [img]//albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=688963&a=5018230&p=22845851&Sequence=0[/img]

------------------
1998 F-150, SC/Flairside,oxford white 4x2,4.6,auto,3.55s,nerf bars,cls 111 towing,bed liner w/mat,atlas polished wheels w/285/75 R/16 BFG A/Ts (black side out),all plastics guards/bug shields,air raid/k & n filter, superchipped, duals out the back corners, flow master 3 chamber, snug top lid, f-150 online sticker back window-honk if you see me!!! Fabtech 3 1/2 lift .coverking dash cover, Lumi Logo's (front and rear), clear front corner lenses, muth mirrors,3" bullseye spindles, dash mounted CB, (TX Chapter requirement,lol),personalized license plates, Superlift traction bars.

San Antonio
DWESSELS89@AOL.COM

Old 06-16-2000, 02:55 PM
Talking

So you can't see the bars from outside the truck??? like from the side? Like fordmans.

Quick Reply: AXLE WRAP