How do I raise my torsion bars?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-1999, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TimC: Welcome to member status! Keep posting, maybe you will attain the long sought after "Golden Member" status.

Old 11-17-1999, 12:20 AM
Thumbs up

I did it last weekend. Used the jack that came with the truck. I didn't get it completely off the ground but enough to get pressure off the torsion bars.
Turned it one complete crank on both sides. By my measurement it gave me about 3/4 to 1 inch. I like it, I think I'll keep it there.

Also, why does it still say I am a new member? I've been a member for almost 2 years now.

-Tim

------------------
1998 F-150 4X4 ORP 4.6L
Dark Toreador Red

Old 12-06-1999, 06:43 AM
My 98 SC long bed 4x4 sits crooked (side to side). This is the 5th of 6 Fords I've owned that leaned one way or the other. When I was under my truck today changing the oil, I checked out the end of the torsion bars to see how hard it was going to be to raise the front end, like the others above are talking about. when checking the adjusting bolts I noticed that the are not turned even. Is this why my truck leans? Would it be prudent to try and level the truck, not just front to back, but also side to side with these adjustment?

------------------
Rooster
98 F-150 XLT SC, Styleside Long bed, Black, 4x4, 4.6L , 3.55 limited slip, fog lamps, sliding rear window, Load lock bed liner, Aerovisor window deflectors, Lund Eclipse Cutout side window covers, GTS Sunflector rear window sun visor, GTS Carbon Fiber Headlight covers and taillight covers, Vanity Plates : 4DIVE4

Old 12-09-1999, 10:34 PM
Question

I have a 99 2x4 and was wondering if I had the bars, and if you tighten them it raises the truck, so if you loosen them will it lower the front end?

------------------
99 black f150 ext. cab sport w/4.6 V8. external mods. include:
k&n air filter, headlight/taillight covers, wiper schroud, shadeblade, ventshade, bug deflector, bed liner, tonno cover, and custom exhaust.
internal mods. include:
Pioneer indash cdplayer, 2 12" subs in custom built boxs, and 400 watt amp.

Old 12-10-1999, 09:12 AM
As far as I know, no 2X4 has torsion bars.

Old 12-10-1999, 10:58 AM
Thumbs down

Caution!

I would not recommend changing the torsion bar setting too much. Increased angles shortens the life of the CV boots tremendously...and they aren't cheap to replace unless you fix them yourself!
In addition, the idler arm wears prematurely!

I definately don't recommend adjusting without jacking the front end! You may be able to get them turned up, but good luck taking them back down...thread sieze!!!

My experience was not on a Ford but the design is basically the same...

I toyed with the torsion bars quite a bit with a Toyota 4 Runner (I know...thats cuz it was a Toyota...but) I replaced about 3 sets of CV boots, 1 idler arm and 2 adjustment bolts when the factory ones broke trying to free the threads and lower the bars...oh yah...and filled two holes in the floor pan when the bolts broke and shot through the floor into the bottom of the seat.

All this and I only raised it an inch!

Just thought I would share my experience

Erik

------------------
Jacked '97 Expedition XLT 4x4,5.4L,4" Trailmaster lift, 315-75-16's on 16x8 ASA rims, K&N filter, Smittybuilt sure steps, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X811 CD w/ 10 Disc Changer, Zapco amps, KEF seperates, Boston Acoustics Pro-10" sub and lots of future plans...will work for truck parts!
For truck photos see...
"EX" Files

Quick Reply: How do I raise my torsion bars?