Helper Springs???

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 08:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helper Springs???

I was wondering what helper springs would be best to go with for price and load capacity? I pull a 27 foot camper around in the summer but drive it around empty the rest of the time. So I think progressive type springs are my best bet but was wondering what you guys/gals think. Price is always a major factor so any help would be greatly appreciated.

1997 F-150
4x4
4.6l
mods

Old 03-13-2003, 10:43 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

I really like my Hellwig LP-25's. They are a "progressive" rate spring, but you do have to set them kinda "tight" to keep them from rattling when you hit bumps. I would say the ride is firmer, but not harsh by any means...... It corners much better and can handle actual weight now. It is NOT like the "stock" ride, which was too mushy for my taste anyway. I bought a truck to haul and tow stuff.

I tow a 22', #4500 camper with a tongue weight of around #550. It drops about an inch before the weight distribution bars are set. When I toss in a #1000 load in the bed, it only drops 2", compared to hitting the bump stops stock!

Airbags was an option too, but I didn't want to mess with that and they cost more.... My Hellwigs only cost $150.00 (including the mounting hardware). Got them at a local 4x4 shop that had them in stock. Only took 1/2 hour to install. Have not had to mess with them since.

Old 03-13-2003, 04:32 PM
The install on them looks pretty simple. I'll check around the net for some prices. Info from someone who's actually using them is exactly what I was looking for.

That's a sweet color on your truck. I just wish mine was blue but I guess red is good enough. You wanna swap trucks. Mine has mods and is a extended cab .

Thanks for the reply and once again sweet truck.

Old 03-13-2003, 06:18 PM
Smile

Thanks for the compliment on the truck!

Sorry man, but I will only trade for a Super Duty!

Here's what I'm towing just 'cause I like to show it off too!

Old 03-14-2003, 12:11 PM
I tried, I was wondering if the 3 inch body lift I'm going to put in will make a difference on what helper spring I should go with. If not then the LP-25 seem to be the best.

When we get our camper out of storage I'll have to show you some pics(hopefully the truck will have the 3inch body lift with 33inch thornbirds). Gotta make up for the color somewhere LOL!!!!

1997 F-150
#1 Is the my camper pulling truck and daily family driver with these mods- accel wires and coil packs, power pulleys, electric fans, flowmaster cat-back, microtuner, fipk. I think that's everything. More to come

#2 Is my work truck mods are none except for borrowed microtuner from #1 during work week.

Old 03-14-2003, 01:39 PM
Lightbulb

jeff, I don't think the 3" body lift will matter much, but going to 33" mud tires will. Are you planning on a gear change too?

How much does that 27' camper weigh? Remember, you probably only have a GCWR of around #11,000 with the 4.6 and 3.55 gears. Your truck by itself probably weighs at least #5000.

I have 31" tires and it made a slight difference on my final gear ratio. I still have 3.55 gears, but I would not want to go any taller of a tire, even if I didn't tow.

Another thing, the tread pattern of that mud tire will make towing a very unpleasent experence IMO. Those big knobby cleats will not ride too well on the pavement with a load on them. Will be really 'squirly' (sp?) feeling, especially with a 27' camper in tow.

Just my initial thoughts on that. The other mods you have in mind won't hurt, but you really should reconsider your tire choice if you want to tow.

Old 03-14-2003, 03:34 PM
I would like to do a gear change but I kinda live in bum-screw-egypt(no offense to anyone from egypt) and have yet to find anyone that I could trust to do the gear change. If I do find someone what should I expect to pay to get them put in?? What gears should I go with? What brand? Because it's a 4wd I have to put them in the front too right????

I'll have to get back to you on the exact weight of the pull behind. I've pulled it a couple of times now with stock tires and it wasn't too jumpy but you definitely know it's there.

The reason I'm choosing thornbirds is for the aggressive look but more of a street tire. If you look closely at them alot of there agressive tread is on the outside of the tire and they are pretty flatspotted in the middle. They can easily be sipped(I think that's how it's spelt) to handle better in the winter and rain. And darn it they just look mean. I may be getting older but I still have some of that young kid in me yet.

Sorry about all the questions

Thanx
Jeff

Old 03-19-2003, 03:03 PM
Mitch150,

I have been looking into getting the hellwig HP-25's or the supersprings. i like the supersprings, becasue they don't engage when you don't have a load, but i also like the fact that with th hp-25's there is more than one leaf. I guess my question is, did the hp-25 raise up the back and of your truck, if so how much, and is there a big big difference in the ride and handleing after the hp-25's.

the hellwigs are way cheaper than the supersprings and I like that about them!

bigNAnative

Old 03-19-2003, 10:03 PM
I myself also tow a boat and I installed a Roadmaster Active Suspension which is a pretty sweet setup it helps control axle wrap while at the saem time works as overload springs it also helps control body lean. Go to: www.activesuspension.com

Richard D.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=2479

Quick Reply: Helper Springs???