SuperCrew

access cover tonneau

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 04:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
access cover tonneau

just had an access cover installed on my 2002 Screw yesterday. It looks great , I like the nice flat look without the bows sticking up like on the previous covers I've had. On area of concern however, are the corners of the vinyl. They just don't look like they are finished. The rear corners especially seem like they should be tucked around the corner. I can stick my thumb in the hole at the top of the tailgate where the corners come together, and see inside the bed. I don't know yet if it will leak since I haven't had it in the rain yet. I know if I point the hose that direction while washing the truck, it will fill the bed. I returned to the installer and he assured me that "Thats the way they are made and I shouldn't have any trouble with it." Hmm, sorta sounds like something a dealer would say. (They're all like that!) Has anyone had a problem with their access cover on a supercrew? I carry my hunting equipment back there and sure would hate to get to my destination and have a bunch of wet gear. I would try to use the hose and find out, but that just doesn't simulate rain, since it tends to blow in toward the tailgate when you are running. I looked at the pictures on the brochures and they all seem to be rounded off. It even looks in one of the pictures like there is a plastic clip on the corner. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-11-2002, 04:57 PM
I have the access and like the cover. I have had no problems with water getting inside the bed. I also like how fast ans easy it is to operate.

Old 12-12-2002, 02:18 AM
I have had an Access cover for the past 2.5 year in Hilo Hawaii which has heavy tropcal rains. There is a gap along the top of the front edge of the bed. I used a gasket that my dealer said came from the manufacturer and it sealed the bed well and it stays alsmost completely dry in the most heavy tropical downpour and also when I wash the truck. I had to use some additional sealer at the corners as well. The gasket goes along the top of the front panel of the bed (that is under the edge of the Access cover) from the edge of one rail the the edge of the rail on the other side.

By the way I like my cover (and have hated the rear corners since I have had it) and still would highly recommend it to anyone who needs flexibility in their usage of a bed cover.

Old 12-12-2002, 02:58 AM
Wish I could afford one

I bought a 1998 F-150 Supercab, and have really wanted a tonneau cover some days. (I go to a college and it would be nice to be able to lock stuff in the bed with the Access Cover and the locking tailgates on our trucks). Last time I was home I priced a Access Cover out at my local dealer but it is just a bit out of range for me right now. I have done extensive research though on different tonneau covers, and I believe that this is the best idea for one with the rolling design. I do not want a hard tonneau with the hydraulic lifts because I have to haul stuff in the bed sometimes that are to tall for these covers and the problem that I have been told about with the button down style of soft tonneaus include the point that you will not want to be buttoning down the cover in the freezing cold or other bad weather conditions. I also like the rolling design of the Access Cover. I have seen the sample in the dealer and once I can afford to buy one I probably will, and from what I have seen I highly recommend one. Owners may have other opinions about them though, but I have only heard good things about them.

Old 12-12-2002, 08:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really like my Access Cover. It is very water resistant, I'm not sure any tonneau is water proof. I also ran a rubber seal along the front of my bed. I just bought a stick-on rubber seal from the local auto parts store. I like the fact that you can adjust the tension so it doesn't get loose and flap in the wind, although I'm not sure this will ever be necessary as the Access Cover's vinly is a lot better quality than other soft tonneau covers.

Old 12-17-2002, 06:06 PM
Pricing

Could you tell me if 489.00 installed on my S crew is a good price or should I shop on line and install myself.A local store has them for this price.

Old 12-17-2002, 06:32 PM
I am from Kansas City and have gotten the same price as Blackson for the Access Cover plus installation ($25 installation cost). This was from Showtime Sport Trucks in Claycomo (a few blocks from the KC Ford Plant). Again, with Blackson's ?, is this a reasonable price?

Trending Topics

Old 12-19-2002, 05:55 PM
PAPADB here again. I called the customer rep at AccessCover. I think they have had these complaints before because the Rep, I think his name was Les, said that nowhere in their advertisement did it state that the cover is waterproof. We got into quite a discussion, since I said it stated that it was a 4 season cover I assumed it would protect my cargo from moisture. He said there was no way to better seal the corners since they had tried several remedies. I argued that since they had been selling the covers for 8 yrs or so they should have fixed what seems to me to be a design flaw. It actulally looks like the rail that the velcro is attached to could be extended an inch or so and champfered to fit the contour of the closing bar, then adding a little more velcro would help. I may try this myself. The Rep said I could purchase a sealing kit from them that might alleviate the problem, but I answered I didn't think I should be required to buy an additional seal to accomplish something that should be done in the first place. The next day I received an e-mail from a lady at the company offering to send me a sealing kit free of charge to try to solve the problem. I have not received them yet. I will let you all know how this works. I have to say I am not totally displeased with the product. The ease of use and flexibility of the cover are great. I wonder if the "Truxedo" cover owners have similar problems. Does anyone have a Truxedo cover? My installer says they may be willing to replace the Access with another make if I can't get it to seal better.

Old 12-20-2002, 05:59 PM
For Greenbuck and Blackson. I paid $434.00 for my access cover installed at Car Toy Store in Medina Ohio. It is the deluxe one with the blacked out metal. Seems like a good price if I can get it to seal.

Old 01-01-2003, 10:39 AM
DR7
I have an access cover for sale off my 01 Screw that I traded on a z71 Suburban. 200 bucks plus shipping. It is perfect.

Kurt

2thdoc@ameritech.net

Quick Reply: access cover tonneau