SuperCrew

sunshade doesn't stop

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 01:10 AM
snj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sunshade doesn't stop

I have a problem with my sunshade on the moonroof not stopping at the back of the opening. There is a crossmember back there and it constantly comes loose. Is there supposed to be another stop further back? The cross member has 2 screws that hold it in place but they just snug down in the slots which are facing forward, so they tend to slip out real easy. Anyone else have this problem? I took it to the deal once already and they charged me $50 for the "adjustment". Since this wasn't considered broken they wouldn't cover it under the extended warrantee.

Argh.

Scott

Old 11-27-2002, 04:15 PM
I have this same problem!

I posted a question in Aug and didn't get a reply
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=87218

Maybe if we team up we can figure it out. The dealer charging you $50 is total effing b.s. if you're still under warranty.

I was wondering if I loosened the 4 screws that appear to hold the sunroof glass in, maybe I could lift the glass out and get a screwdriver in there to remove that screw. If I could get the screw out, I'd try a starwasher and see if it held the bracket in place better.

ANYONE OUT THERE?

Old 11-27-2002, 06:11 PM
snj
I ended up getting rid of the POS black philips screws that Ford had in there and replaced them with a same diam. sheet metal screw, this was easier to get a grip on. If you silde the the shade forward and disconnect the 2 slide wires/bars you can side the carrige forward to get at it by putting the sunroof in the up position. I will give the star washer a try. The dealer dropped some silicone adhesive to hold it, but that didn't last long. I am really surprised this is the only bump stop in the roof. Oh well, we'll see what happens this time.

Old 11-27-2002, 10:19 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My shade has a tendency to want to 'slide forward' while driving but, it's minimal (like an inch or so) thus, I haven't really worried much about it and certainly haven't gone through the trouble of trying to fix it...

If it gets worse, I may check it out but, until then, it's fine as is...

RP

Old 11-27-2002, 11:48 PM
Thumbs up fixed it

First of all, if anyone else experiences this problem, they better get it fixed! The "crossmember" in question is serves two purposes.

The first and most important being the drip tray for the rear edge of the sunroof. If its not in place, water that leaks past the gasket (and it will) drops into this tray and is routed back outside. Without this tray in place water will run inside the roof eventually causing rust and damage to the cloth sunshade.

The second purpose is for a backstop for the sunshade when the roof is closed or popped up in the back. It is because it is used as a backstop that it gets knocked loose by those slamming it rearward to hard.

You'll know if its loose if the shade goes back farther than the handle or you hear rattling from the roof.

The 2 coat hanger sized bars on each side is what pushes this drip tray back into the roof along with the sunshade when the glass roof moves rearward to the fully open position.

I fixed mine permanently by removing the 4 T20 Torx bolts that hold the roof glass. I marked their locations and took them out. After the glass is removed you can clearly see everything. Near the screw that holds the drip tray is a small rectangular hole. Directly beneath is the plastic piece that is screwed to. I drilled a small hole near the inside edge of the rectangle thru the plastic beneath. Then I used a tiny screw to lock it in place like a pin. Now for the drip tray to slip out from underneath it would have to shear the screw or break the plastic . Plus I retightened the original screw. I used red loctite on the 4 torx screws holding the glass in because that's what was on them when I took them out.

Quick Reply: sunshade doesn't stop