SuperCrew

Rim's on A Screw-Stock or aftermarket ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rim's on A Screw-Stock or aftermarket ?

What look does everyone prefer ? Stock or Aftermarket rim's on Screw's ? Some people put on larger tire's on stock rim's , some put diff. rim's on stock tire's & some put a whole different package of both on . SHOW SOME OF YOU PIC"S AND WHAT YOU LIKE BEST !

Old 11-17-2002, 03:17 PM
Well I would say that there is more than just looks.

First of all the stock rims (some of them) look pretty good. But the stock rims are not very wide and so they limit what larger aftermarket tires you can use.

Second, rims are expensive so many people like myself will stick to tires that will fit the stock rims. The nicer tires really improve the look of the truck.

Third if you can spend the extra dough the aftermarket rims will let you put on a larger tire and may ride nicer, look better, and may even last longer (steel can rust).

I have the stock (upgraded) aluminum 10 spoke rims that I think look very nice (clean). They are a pain to clean but when clean of all that dirt and break dust they really look good. I have aftermarket tires on (the largest I could get for these rims, 285/70/17) Any larger and the rim would need to be wider. These rims are only 7.5" wide.

So if you got the money and dont like the look of your rims now/want bigger tires that won't fit on them then theres your answer. Also when you put on larger tires you WILL notice a loss of power due to the 3.55 rear end on these trucks.

Old 11-18-2002, 10:02 AM
Yeh, I know it's all personal preference . When I got my truck I had the 10 spoke's like you have. Then I switched to the FX4's that I have on now . Much easier to keep clean than the 10 spoker's . If I order this new truck it will come with 10 spoke's on it . Although I did notice something different on Saturday when I was looking around at dealer's. I found a dark shadow grey non FX 4x4 that had the older style off road package saw blade's on it. Seemed to come right off the truck that way. Stange sight. No one seem to know why at the dealer.

If I get this new truck I will probably put a set of 285/70/17 BFG's on it right away. One nice thing is that I can order the new one with a 3.73 ls axle. I have BFG AT/KO's on my truck from day one and it does make the truck look alot different than the stock tire's.

Last edited by FALLSCREW; 11-18-2002 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by dcovell
Also when you put on larger tires you WILL notice a loss of power due to the 3.55 rear end on these trucks.
The 3.55 rear end has nothing to do with it, it's just a factor of putting larger diameter wheel/tire combination. 3.55, 3.73 or 4.10s, it doesn't make any difference, larger tires, same thing.

Old 11-19-2002, 12:36 PM
I prefer stock (kinda of)........

Old 11-19-2002, 04:36 PM
Well yes your right you will notice a power loss with larger tires but by changing the gears and larger tires your final drive ratio will be about the same or better. Basically it depends on your final drive ratio.

I got a rough quote for parts and labor on getting 4.10s on my 4x4 and it was around $1500 owchhhhhh! This may not be happening, ever...

Quick Reply: Rim's on A Screw-Stock or aftermarket ?