SuperCrew

Need Help with Passenger Airbag

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Help with Passenger Airbag

I have a 2001 SCREW and also have a 4 year old little boy. Now that he is getting older, he likes (I like) for him to go on trips with me to the deer lease, lake, etc. Some of these trips are 6+ hours and I hate to have him in the backseat the entire time. Half the time I spend looking over my shoulder taking to him and what not, and the other you have to raise your voice just to be heard. I know that airbags save lives and my son has never been in a moving vehice except for on the lease when he was not securely strapped into a child safety seat.

How can I have the passenger side airbag disarmed. I've called the dealer and they said they would not install a switch like the one that comes in the extended cab versions. Is there a fuse I can pull that would ABSOLUTELY disarm the passenger side airbag for these "special" occasions. If anyone has any ideas, please feel free to share them.

Old 11-15-2002, 03:07 PM
I'm sure there is a way, but I wonder if it's a wise thing to do?

I'm betting that by doing so and putting your 4 year old child in the front seat you will attract the attention of the police.

Old 11-18-2002, 10:42 AM
If your vehicle has a back seat there is no front passenger-airbag disable. NHTSA says to put the passenger in the back seat. Children should not be in the front seat. Buy him a proper booster seat and he should be able to see fine and he will be safe. That is why I bought a screw, to keep my children safe in proper seats. If I didn't have to use the truck for the family I would have bought a Lightning. There may be a wire to unplug under the surfboard on the dash but I would not recommend it.

Quick Reply: Need Help with Passenger Airbag