SuperCrew

'01 to '03 SCREW comparison

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking '01 to '03 SCREW comparison

Hey guys,

After putting almost 1000 miles on my '03 SCREW, here's the things I've noticed most about the differences as compared to my '01 that had 48k miles on it. As a background, both trucks are 4x4, 5.4, lariat, 6-disc, tow pkg, moon roof, etc. Neither truck had the special offroad package (i.e. FX4 or other). Both have the same 17" tires (but different wheels). There may be features described which were introduced in the '02 models - I just haven't kept up with them.

The first thing that is most noticeable is the quietness of the new truck - I never would have believed that the '01 could have gotten any quieter, but when you get this thing out on the highway - it is purely amazing how quiet it is. As a side effect, the audio system sounds MUCH better, especially the clarity in the lower frequency ranges. The sound is much fuller - and even at 85mph you can carry on a quiet conversation with no wind noise. As a side effect, the sound of the engine has changed slightly - you don't hear any exhaust note at all. When you pull higher than about half throttle, there is a meaty gulping-air V8 engine sound that seems a little raspier than the '01.

Even though power is supposed to be the same, the 3.73 gears in the '03 are immediately noticeable via butt dyno. It's not necessarily that it _feels_ faster or more powerful, but that the engine is working easier around town and especially from stoplights. A wonderful side effect of this (and probably through better programming) is that the transmission doesn't aimlessly search for the right gear. This is particularly noticeable on the highway - the truck tends to stay in overdrive more going up hills, rather than constantly switching from OD and 3rd. This is a much welcome change.

On to the suspension which has had obvious changes... the most apparent of which is the steering feedback. The steering in the '03 is much lighter - more car-like. I actually prefer the older steering with more feedback, but once you get used to the light feel, it's OK. Also at a minimum the shocks have gotten significantly stiffer on both bump and rebound. They may have also increased the front (and possibly rear) spring rates and anti-roll bars. The net effect of the suspension changes is a more deterministic, truck-like ride that is more what you would expect from a 4x4 F150. Taking turns at the same speeds as with the '01 I've noticed much less body roll and better grip. This is also a much welcome change.

Ergonomically and interior-wise there has been a clear effort on ford's part to make the F150 more truck like... mostly by squaring-off many of the subtle design elements in the cabin - including the "oh crap" handles, surrounds around the audio and climate controls, the glove box
handle, etc. The seat leather has obviously changed, but I can't really comment on how comfortable they are until they get a couple years old. Overall with the seats you can feel there is more defined support for the driver as well as passengers, especially in the butt area. There is also now lumbar for the passenger. The "feel" of anything that moves has also changed slightly to produce a tighter, firmer feel - the glove box, doors, console, blinker stalk, etc all close or operate with a very european "ssshunk". The new truck also marks the reappearance of the cool under-the-steering-wheel cubby - which makes a perfect home for a trailer brake controller. The '97 and '98 trucks had this cubby, but it disappeared in the '01. Also of note is the mysterious compartment to the side of the glove box behind the glove box door is now gone.

One of the new items that I mark under the useless gimick column is the auto-dimming rear view mirror. My perception tells me that it is mounted lower on the windshield (so the electric eye can sense headlights), which is probably fine for most drivers. Being 6'5" tall, it tends to obstruct part of my view, even when it is raised as high as possible. It also dims via some sort of liquid crystal-like masking of the viewing area which tends to cast an unnerving blueish tint to cars and headlights at night.

Climate controls are all-new, no longer controlled by the three simple *****. I'm pretty agnostic on this new feature - I thought the old simple controls were fine. The new controls took some getting used to, but are functional and straight forward. You can either operate them manually (like the old *****), or put the system into an automatic mode where it knows best on how to achieve the desired temperature and air-quality levels.

The 6-disc in-dash receiver works very well... switching discs much faster than the old clunk-o-matic in the older trucks. The audio sounds much better- probably mostly through better sound control in the floors and door panels, but also possibly through better audio components.

The moon roof has been improved in some ways; opening and closing the roof is much quieter than before. Also, the tendency of the pop-up wind deflector to vibrate at speed seems to be defeated in the new truck. It is still possible to generate standing waves (i.e. a low-frequency sort-of humming sound) by having the windows up and moon roof open, but this seems to be much less noticeable than the '01.

The creepy feature of them all is the little black box. This thing is much like the flight recorder in an airplane - it records all pertinent data such as speed, throttle position, sensors, etc. This to me seems like only a lose-lose situation for the consumer. Best case it is harmless... worst case it can be used against you by Ford in a warranty claim or by public officials in a civil or criminal case. Bleech. If anyone figures out how to disable this invasion of privacy device, let me know.

There are a few other features that are obvious, like headrests for the rear passengers, that don't need mentioning... and I'm sure I'm forgetting something else. I was very apprehensive about going ahead and getting an '03 when the new '04s are just around the corner... but after figuring all the manufacturing and little design bugs have been worked over for several years, this should be a quiet and reliable truck for many years and miles to come. Just what the doctor ordered.

Hope this helps,
jC.

Last edited by jCAkers; 10-17-2002 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:41 PM
Wink

Have you considered doing vehicle reviews for a living?

Old 10-17-2002, 01:48 PM
you pay me a good salary and I'll write about any car or truck you want!

jC.

Old 10-18-2002, 04:16 PM
Thanks for a great narrative. I am considering the same for next March. I am trying to figure out if the '03 model Lariat 4x4 with the 3.73 has a higher GVWR and towing capacity than a similar '01(with 3.55). Do you have a brochure giving the specs? All info I have seen is frustratingly vague on this. ie. Do I have to get an XLT 4x4 to get 16 inch tires to increase GVWR? My '01 is 12,500. I saw one site that said you could get 13,500 and 13,000 on a Supercrew.

Old 10-18-2002, 05:23 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That was a very well written piece. Thanks for all of the pertinent information!! Great job.

RP

Old 10-18-2002, 07:49 PM
Old 10-18-2002, 08:32 PM
JC

Nice post. I agree with much of what you said. I did not have an '01, but my '03 sure rocks!

Best of luck to you with your new truck!

Jim

Trending Topics

Old 10-18-2002, 10:42 PM
Question

Thanks for the kind words guys. On the trailer towing, it is definitely a puzzler. My owner's manual doesn't even have an entry in the towing table for the 5.4/3.73/17" wheel combo! The '01 was rated for a 12,500 GCWR, and the link that Daveman posted (the ford '03 towing guide) says that the '03 with 3.73 and 17" wheels should also be 12,500 (with a 7100lb trailer tow). The really strange thing is that in my owner's manual, with 16" wheels (4x4 supercrew 5.4) stepping up from 3.55 gears to 3.73 gears generates a 500lb increase in GCWR. Using that logic, you would think the 5.4 3.73 17" combo would be worth a 13000 GCWR (i.e. a trailer tow capability of around 7500-7600lbs). I know that the '01 didn't have problems burying the speedo with 5000 lbs of camaro/trailer/gear, so the new truck should do really well.

jC.

Old 10-19-2002, 03:07 AM
JCAckers,

Thanks for the great review as it echoes my sentiments exactly. I owned a 2001 SCrew for two years and got my 2003 in August. I could not agree more with your assessment of the improvements in ride, comfort, quietness, and feel. I was extremely pleased with my 2001 when I owned it, and would never have believed they could improve on it as much as they did. I could have jumped on a end of model 2002 closeout or the 2003. I am more than happy I chose the 03 !!

Old 10-19-2002, 03:29 PM
Daveman - Thanks. Looks like an '03 Supercrew with 3.55 and 16 inch tires can tow 7600 and has a gcwr of 13,000# and a 3.73 with 17 inch is 12,500# and can tow 7,100. Doesn't make sense to me. I would have to get an XLT to get 16 in tires .

Old 10-19-2002, 03:46 PM
Another quick update... after filling the tank several times, it looks like the '03 is getting around 2mpg better in the city than the '01... and it's still not even broken in yet. I believe the aluminum wheels and 3.73 gears have really helped the engine work a little easier around town. Thoughts?

jC.

Old 10-20-2002, 10:35 AM
What would be quicker, a F150 Supercab w/3:55 gears, 5.4l 4x2, or a Supercab w/3:73 gears, 5.4l, 4x4?

Old 10-20-2002, 11:49 AM
On pavement or up a muddy trail? Assuming on regular dry roads, the 4x2 would easily be the quicker of the two due to the 400-500lbs weight savings. The effective gear ratio of the 3.73 axle with bigger tires is probably about the same as the 3.55 with the shorter tires of the 4x2... eliminating any ratio advantage the 3.73 gives the 4x4.

jC.

Old 11-14-2002, 03:01 PM
To you guys who traded from an '01 to an '03:

what was your reason for upgrading to the '03? you were leasing, or just wanted the next best thing? I have an '01 XLT 4x4, 31k...it's been solid ever since..they only thing I'd like to change on it would be the front seats to the '03 style.

Just curious, thanks

Old 11-14-2002, 03:07 PM
Talking

I personally prefer driving a new vehicle every two or three years. It's as simple as that. Never had even a minor problem with my 01, and so far can say the same for my 03!!

Quick Reply: '01 to '03 SCREW comparison