SuperCrew

Bed Usability with Hard Tonneau

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bed Usability with Hard Tonneau

When I go hunting or camping, I always manage to fill the bed up. (Why go "truck camping" if you can't bring a pool table?)

I'm considering getting a hard tonneau for my '01 SCrew because I want to secure bed contents and I like the look. I'm curious, however, how easy it will be to pack gear into the bed and/or access gear stored in the bed, especially up in the front, where the tonneau is hinged.

You guys that have hard tonneaus, has this ended up being a problem?

I've heard tat there are some kind of roll-out floors that can make getting to gear easier, but I don't know how one would work with my spray-in liner.

Old 11-13-2002, 04:58 PM
I have a hard tonneau, and stuff in the front of the bed usually requires crawling into the bed to reach it.
I don't like it but I can deal with it.
I like the looks and security of the lid.
You should also note that once you've got the lid installed, you will only have about 20" of clearance under there when it's shut. If your items are taller and can't be laid down you will have to ride with it open or remove the lid.

Old 11-13-2002, 06:37 PM
check out thistopupcamper.com
they are kinda pricey ($1495 for a screw) but pretty cool lookin

Old 11-13-2002, 06:42 PM
I have the ARE LS II tonneau, I've only carried stuff back there a few times...camping trips, concert , etc....luckily everything has been able to fit under.....crawling up to the front isn't the most fun thing I can think of to do, but for the security, and looks, I manage...

If you're gonna be packing it to the gills, maybe look into those retrax or whatever its called, or the ones that flip up on hinges in the middle? regardless..if somebody wanted to get in there....they could. but like they say out of sight, out of mind.

I remember when my older brother was going to UofMI his first year, he filled up the back of his truck and cap with hay bales around all his stuff..lol.....it worked.

Old 11-14-2002, 01:40 AM
I take the bed extender out, and most stuff I can reach from the side of the truck bed. I've got a Snuglid tonneau and the pistons get in the way a little, but it's not that big of a deal for me. I manange to fill the bed up on hunting and camping trips. Leave the bed extender in and it's a little tougher to get stuff out, but still manageable.
BD

Old 11-14-2002, 01:30 PM
one50,

WOW! That TopUp Camper is awesome! Of course, I'll be living in it if I blow $1500 bucks on a tonneau--without the camper package!!!

I think I'll look at the tonneaus with the vertical hinge down the middle, like braboin suggested. If that looks too "work truck" I may end up with a retractable.

Quick Reply: Bed Usability with Hard Tonneau