SuperCrew

Installing Auxilary light switch(s) in overhead (garage dorr opener) compartment?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 11:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Installing Auxilary light switch(s) in overhead (garage dorr opener) compartment?

I was thinking that a really cool place to put switches for backup lights/light bar/grille lights/etc would be to put them in the swing down door that the SCREWs have (no sunroof).

My question is how difficult would it be to run wires to that location, just smaller guage wires to run relays.

Would you have to remove a lot of stuff to get there, theres the temp display up there so wiring must be somewhat easy to put up there.

I would run some Cat5 (4 pairs of wires in one line) then you could put in 4 switches. This way they would be out of site and you could impress people when you open the little door have all these switches like a airplane ****pit. You could even run some low voltage power to them for lighted switches! Then make lighted lettering that is lighted from the trucks interior lighting.

An idea of a switch...

I have never seen anything like this done and was wondering if anyone has taken the roof apart in that area. Would you run the wires over the windshield and then down one of the sides under the molding or what?

If you have taken that part of the roof apart let me know.

Thanks.

Last edited by dcovell; 10-27-2002 at 11:55 PM.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:07 AM
D,

While installing a remote start I ran the wire for the antenna across the headliner, down the forward door molding and behind the dash. I'm sure with a little work you can get the wire from the console to the doorway molding. With a cat5 4 pair, using a common ground you can run six switches and a low voltage line for switch lighting.

Old 10-28-2002, 10:26 AM
you can do it

Yes, you can pack a lot of stuff into the overhead console.
I have my Valentine One power and aux Module in the overhead
one wire goes down the mirror power plastic, and the other goes across the windshield under the headliner, down the a pillar to
the guage area for the remote display.

But in my photos area, I have added three lighted switches in another area, with plenty of open area behind to wire for whatever you need.

Quick Reply: Installing Auxilary light switch(s) in overhead (garage dorr opener) compartment?