SuperCrew

Questions from a New Screw owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions from a New Screw owner

Well after months of compairing vehicles. I got rid of my Camaro and bought a 2001 Screw Lariat.(New Baby kind of forced the move) So with this being my first Ford, as well as my first truck, I have a few questions I hope you all can help with. Thanx in advance for any help and info.

1. The truck has 39,000 miles on it. Is it worth trying to buy some kind of warranty for it. Or are they trouble free enough to pay as I go?

2. If I put some 18's or 20's on it. Will it effect how much weight I can put in the bed?

3. I want to drop the truck, just alittle bit to give it a better stance. What is the best way to go. And will it effect the alignment?

4. Whats a good exhaust, with dual pipes. That will sound good but not upset the neighbors?

5. Has anyone had any problems with the lid on the center console. It seems kind of cheap feeling?

6. Whats a good bright white bulb. For the headlights with out going HID?

Sorry for all the questions, just a little excited about the new ride.

Billy_Blazes

Old 10-23-2002, 09:59 PM
Cool Good Questions

My Screw only has 16,000 on it so I have much of the same questions. Got rid of my Mustang to get the truck and love it!! The only thing I have to say is the center console lid on mine feels tight and I've had absolutely no probs with my Screw. I can't wait to see the answers to your questions since mine would be similar!

Old 10-23-2002, 10:30 PM
Welcome to the world of Ford trucks !!! You've addressed a variety of concerns in your questions but the great thing is that if you can think it up someone around here's probably already tried it. I'd recommend going to the various topic threads and reading for a good long while before doing anything expensive to your truck.
By the way, with 40,000 miles on my 01 Lariat Screw I've never had a single problem with the console lid. Solid and reliable.
Good luck.

Old 10-26-2002, 09:03 AM
If you put 18's or 20's on your truck it will not affect the load capacity unless you go with a really low profile tire that doesn't have a similar load rating to your stock tires. (tire shops can give you load ratings) I've got about 39K on my Screw as well now, and have had no problems and I couldn't see getting any extra warranty, geezz the truck's practically new right? and as for the exhaust I have just removed my stock muffler and had a piece of pipe replaced in it's place, and it sounds excellent! not very loud at all idleing but if I really rev it up IE; 4500-6000 rpm it will make a head turn. I have a 5.4l

Old 10-26-2002, 11:21 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll answer #6.

The bulbs that I would recommend would be the Sylvania Silverstars. They run around $25/per but, these are the brightest bulbs that I've seen without being HID. Plus, as you can see in the chart below that I nabbed from Sylvania's website, the Silverstar bulbs aren't too much less on the Kelvin scale than the HID.

If you have any additional questions about the bulbs or some of the other offerings from Sylvania. Check out the website at:

http://www.sylvania.com/auto/silverstar.htm

Good luck and enjoy your new truck.

RP

Old 10-26-2002, 12:33 PM
Rock,

Thanks for the link, I think I'm going to pick up some silver stars today from either Auto Zone or Advance. $25 each is worth getting in my opinion, $600 on the other hand for HIDs is for the guys that have more money than they know what to do with, not me.

Later Dude,

~DM~

Old 10-26-2002, 03:12 PM
Welcome

1.Get the Extra warranty,anything can happen!I did

2. You can put 20's on it.

3.Beltech

4. Due research on the exhaust, lots of it.

5. No problems with the LID. Not as cheap feeling as something in a Chevy!

6. Sylvania Silverstars! Advance Auto has them for $21.88 on sale now. It is Bright White

Trending Topics

Old 10-26-2002, 04:03 PM
Thanx, for all the info everyone. I have been scanning through alot of the forums, the last few days. And I am amazed at the info that is on here. I will being visiting very often. As I plan on doing alot of upgrades to my new truck.

Thanx again

Billy_Blazes

Old 10-27-2002, 01:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless the previous owner extended the the factory warranty (3/36) and did not transfer it, you won't be able to buy a Ford ESP warranty. Once it expires, aftermarket warranties apply. Check with an aftermarket warranty company (Insurance, like CDLIC - Commonwealth Dealers Life Insurance Company is one of the aftermarket warranties sold by dealers here). I believe they have a variety of different coverage packages from major drivetrain only, as well as packages that cover other components as well, I do not think they have a bumper to bumper coverage.

As I mentioned, dealers sell these as well, but have some mark-up. These usually have some limitations regarding service shops (who will honor them, ie - shop takes your warranty vs you pay and get re-embursed), check and make sure, especially if you travel.

On the 18-20" wheels tires... I believe the load rating will change some based on the change in torque... but it will mostly affect towing. It will also decrease fuel mileage.

Last edited by jryager; 10-27-2002 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-27-2002, 01:48 PM
At 26,000 miles I have not had one issue with my truck. (knock on wood!) The only thing that has had to be replaced was the front break pads. Other than that, oil changes and the occasional washing is all the truck has needed.

I don't know if I am going to get the etended warrenty but around 34-35k miles I will ask myself this question again.

I also have the SilverStars and love them!

Quick Reply: Questions from a New Screw owner