SuperCrew

stock airbox

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock airbox

how u doin all,

I want to upgrade my intake, but I hear such controversal things.
I was originally going to go with the K&N system, but I heard it does not really give you any gains. Then I was thinking of just getting the K&N airfilter and puttin some holes in the airbox to improve flow.

What dou you guys think? Which option would be better?

Old 10-23-2002, 05:30 PM
Hello X,

There is a poor man's mod for the stock airbox that you can combine with a drop in high flow filter like the K&N. You can search for it on this site and get good instructions.
The basic concept (what I did) is to cut the airbox back to the clamp leaving enough for positive seal and the bottom mount pins for stability. I noticed a nice under hood sound and a perceived improved throttle response. I think that it is as good as buying an actual FIPK, but that is just me.

Old 10-23-2002, 08:01 PM
The bottom line is to:

1. Remove as much restriction from the air intake as possible.
2. Prevent any dirt particals/dust from getting inside the engine.
3. Pull in the coolest air possible.

Regardless of how you do this is up to you. If you are lucky enough to be talented in building things then maybe you should build your own box with a scoop of some kind that will pull air from the outside. As long as you don't get water in that scoop when it rains or you drive though a puddle. If you pull air from under the hood it is going to be hotter so its best to pull it from the outside or at least as far from the engine/radiator fan as possible.

I have a K&N FIPK as I am not good at building things and K&N has been around quite sometime so I trust there products. I had one in my last truck and several of our other vhiecles have them too.

Luck to you.

Old 10-23-2002, 10:21 PM
I agree that the goal is to increase cold air flow. I have a Volant FIPK and am NOT happy with it. If I had to do it all over again, after reading tons of posts from other's experiences and based on my own, I'd buy a WMS Velocity tube to replace the stock air tube, replace the stock MAS with a Granetelli, put a K&N filter into the stock airbox and find a way to increase the size of the wheelwell air connection. The Velocity Tube is cheaper than the whole Volant system and from seeing one I know it's higher qualtiy. Who knows about the actual plusses and minuses of the K&N filter over other aftermarket high flow filters but I do know that replacements and cleaning kits are available all over and not just on the net. The stock airbox is not a factor in airflow and only serves to hold the filter....big and clunky but it works. The Granetelli MAS is without a doubt a good upgrade; a bit pricey but that should be a wash with the savings from not buying a hot air FIPK. The air from the wheel well is the only source of that cooler air unless you get real creative with plumbing and I have to think that a larger hole and some ducting to the front to create a "ram air" effect would be a good thing. I'd want to use 4" flexible pipe but it would be interesting trying to route it without too many bends etc. JMO....... Don't expect miracles from a FIPK......you won't get it. Good luck !!!

Old 10-23-2002, 11:48 PM
Also when you use a tube, don't use metal as it conducts heat, plastic will act as a shield from heat.

Old 10-24-2002, 07:14 AM
Thanks for all the responses, I'll keep looking into it.

Quick Reply: stock airbox