SuperCrew

Keep factory bedliner??

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep factory bedliner??

My SCrew Lariat came with the factory bedliner. Can't decide if I should keep it, take it out and use a bed mat, or do a spray in? Would like some feedback on the first option, keep it in or no. My truck use is light duty, occasion trip to Home Depot for lumber, nails, tools, potted plants, and bags of mulch and potting soil. And of course, my black lab always rides with me.

Your thoughts and feedback appreciated.

Old 10-21-2002, 10:41 PM
I went with a spray in bed liner. I did not even bother asking for a bedliner.

If my next truck comes with a plastic bed liner ... I will let it scratch up my bed for a few years and then get a Spray-in liner installed. I have had it installed in two trucks and it does take a beating.

Old 10-21-2002, 11:20 PM
I had a factory bed liner in my 87 for 5 years before taking it out (just because I could) to see what was underneath. I'd hauled firewood, minus gravel from the quarry, round bales, etc over those years and pulling the liner out I found some rub spots down to primer in the bed but no rust, no bare metal, and not a single dent. The bedliner never once cracked or broke. I was amazed really. I'm a believer in the things. I know the paint-on variety liners are good for normal wear and tear but if you ever have a frontend loader dump a load of creekgravel in your bed I'll bet you wish you had more than painted on protection.

Old 10-22-2002, 09:33 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's my plan... I'm going to keep my factory liner until I scuff it up to the point that I can't stand it anymore. For what I use it for, it will be SEVERAL years before I can justify replacing it under those circumstances.

Once it's scuffed so badly that it's bothering me to even look at it, I'll definately go with the spray-in type and, any scuffs/scratches that the plastic liner has caused will definately be covered up by the spray-in.

Oh yeah, about the dog. You might want to get a piece of old carpet or a carpet remenant and lay it in the bed of your truck so that the dog doesn't become a projectile every time that you take off or come to a fast stop. In short, give the pooch a little grip back there because he/she has little of none on the plastic.

Good luck Marc! Talk to you later

RP

Old 10-22-2002, 09:36 AM
LOL. That is what my dogs do everytime they ride around in the bed. I cut a piece of tan berber rug up to fit the bed's contours and that problem is solved. It also matches the tan bedliner, which is a plus. Of course the black and white dog hair is kind of a nuisance.

Old 10-22-2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by momule
I know the paint-on variety liners are good for normal wear and tear but if you ever have a frontend loader dump a load of creekgravel in your bed I'll bet you wish you had more than painted on protection.
I had it done all the time with a 96 Dodge with a sprayed in liner. No problems. I was not careful with the shovels getting the gravel out either. Before I got the cap in the supercrew I hauled a pallet of river rock. The forklift driver put it down on the back of the truck [most of it was on the tailgate (4x4 was a lowrider)] and he slid the pallet to the front of the truck bed. I thought I was going to have to make a trip to have the scrates taken out of the sprayed-in liner. Not one scratch.

Before I purchased the Dodge I borrowed my brother in-laws' F-150 that had a plastic liner ... I had to take the damn thing out to clean out all the gravel that got underneath. What a pain. The other pain was sliding out of the truck while trying to shovel the last of the gravel out.

You were lucky it did not scratch down to bare metal. I had a Ranger that was scratched to bare metal in less than 3 months. It did not have a cover and I drove mostly on the highway > 60mph. But like I said if my next truck comes with one I will leave it in until it looks like sh t. Then I will go with a sprayed-in bed liner.

Old 10-22-2002, 11:18 PM
I appreciate hearing more details bout how your sprayed in liners worked for you. I've always been impressed with the quality of that stuff, how it sticks and all, but always kinda thought that, because it's connected to the metal, that the metal would still dent even though it's covered with 1/4 inch of rubber. Wonder how the truck would look if I just had the whole damn thing covered with the liner spray.......probably pretty weird but it'd make parking lot dings and my kid's bicycle scratches a thing of the past for sure !!! (wonder if it'd be more stealthy to the police radar gun???? wonder if Rhinoliner would pay me to do it to my Screw as a promo for their company???)
One other thing.....I have to use a rubber mat on the bedliner or a sheet of plywood just to keep things from sliding around. The plastic liner is slicker than owlsh_t.

Trending Topics

Old 10-23-2002, 02:54 PM
Keep it if it fits.

When i got mine in the beginngin of 2001, i went through 2 Frod drop in liners before i finally said screw it. The sides kept bowing out away froim the box and it just didn't fit right. I think they were having some problems fitting the screw's box correctly. After round 2, i got a Line-X and love it.
Tony

Old 10-23-2002, 03:21 PM
If your going to keep the truck for a while I Suggest you have the dealer keep the drop in (give you credit of course) and get a sprayed in liner. Rhino or Line-x are both great.

Drop in liners rub all the paint off paint in the bed big time, are a pain to clean (stuff underneath them) and are slippery and my dog hated standing on them (ridges were uncomfortable)

Old 10-23-2002, 05:24 PM
I wasn't charged for the bed liner and my particular liner has a granular texture (like sand) on the bottom so the slippage is minimal for the dog. The bed liner fits very well on the sides, no problems with the fit and finish. I removed the tailgate piece once and noticed some rubbing on the tailgate paint.

Appreciate the feedback so far and welcome anyone else who has $.02 they want to spend.

Old 10-23-2002, 10:48 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Careful Marc. Ask for two cents around here and sometimes you get a buck fitty.

How are you liking that new truck?

RP

Old 10-23-2002, 11:19 PM
Marc,

Each to his own, I hate bed liners but a mat or a bed rug is my cup of tea. I've got the bedrug and am very pleased and I do what you say you do with your truck, plus...

My $.05, $.03 tip

~DM~

Old 10-24-2002, 12:05 AM
Daveman, thanks! I'll keep the change!

Old 10-24-2002, 12:17 AM
Marc,

I for one like bed liners. I've never had a problem with them. I do take them out once a year or so and wash and wax underneath. I have not had much of a problem with paint coming off and have never had an issue with rust. Paint has come a long way since the old days, as have bedliners.

I myself am currently torn as to what to do with my new Screw. I will go either drop in or Bedrug. Just not sure what is best at this point. The spray-ins to me are just OK, and I dont know how well they will hold up with heavy use. I know two guys that have had spray ins and have told me that they would never get them again. Although if you look on this forum as well as others, there are plenty of folks who love em.

As Daveman said, to each his own. If I were you, I would keep the bedliner until it gets ratty, and then decide on your next step(s).

There's my .02 cents...

Jim

Old 10-24-2002, 06:30 PM
Thanks for all the replies and feedback!! I will probably throw a rubber bed mat in the back of my truck to reduce the slipping, but the bed liner stays. Ford has a lifetime warranty against rust (don't they?) so I'm not worried about moisture or the rust issue. It looks good and it was free. In a few years, I may reconsider. Besides, my next BIG mod is an ARE Z sreies cap!!

Rock, I really like my truck. I have never owned a full size truck and this thing is absolutely LOADED. The only thing I didn't get was the KR package. However, there is no free lunch and it is going to take me a little while longer to adjust to the larger payment. I bought my Sport Trac at a great price and had an easy payment. While I bought my FX4 at X-plan, it still was a pretty penny. I miss the mpg and monthly payment of my Sport Trac, but I like the ride, size and features of my SC.

DM, I like that bed rug and may look that way somewhere down the road. By the way, I need more than that nickle. Inflation you know!

Marc

Last edited by Marc STewart; 10-24-2002 at 09:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Keep factory bedliner??