SuperCrew

Headlights & License Plate Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2002, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Headlights & License Plate Bracket

Hey Guys,

Two questions.

1.) Are there any after market mods to add to the Screw so that when you put on your highbeams that both the low and high beams stay on together? I've noticed the lower beam cuts out and it makes a big difference in seeing down the road. Or should I try to get brighter bulbs? Ive also heard something about 9005 fog lights? Is that just a brighter bulb? What is involved in the cost/installation? Also, is there some way that I can have my fog lights on the same time as my parking lights?

2.) I live in PA where no front license plate is needed. Any idea on how to get the damn thing off? It seems as if the top is riveted on or something? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

P.S. I know I asked more than two questions! LOL

Old 10-06-2002, 10:24 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It is truly amazing how often this topic comes up...

Here's the link to do the parking light/foglight modification.

http://www.svtlightnings.com/svt/how...s/foglamps.htm

As for the 9005 bulbs, YES, you can use 9005s in your fogs. A simple snip of a flange on the bulb is all that is necessary to make your 9005 bulbs like the 9145 bulbs that are in the fogs currently. VERY VERY VERY VERY SIMPLE.

Do a search for this. You'll find oodles and oodles of comments/replies/statements/tips/underwater basketweaving tricks/etc... etc... etc... etc...

The license plate bracket has been discussed in great detail as well. Do a search. You'll find that too... Yes, it can be removed. It requires getting rid of the rivets that you mentioned that hold it on. Very cut and dry.

Good luck. God speed.

RP

Old 10-06-2002, 10:59 PM
Rockpick,

Thanks you are the man! Very informative link. Now Ive got a techie question for ya. How do I get the link to my gallery to look like yours???

Thanks,

Jim

Old 10-07-2002, 12:47 AM
snj
You can also use a hack saw blade in a handle (not sure what they are really called) to cut through the top rivets on the license frame bracket. Costs like $5 at any home depot.

Old 10-07-2002, 10:54 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Jaguar
Rockpick,

Thanks you are the man! Very informative link. Now Ive got a techie question for ya. How do I get the link to my gallery to look like yours???

Thanks,

Jim
Visit this link:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/mi...bbcode#buttons

Everything you ever needed to know about code.

RP

Old 10-07-2002, 02:24 PM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Jaguar,

I didn't like my lic. bracket either. Decided the easiest way was to use an exacto knife and wiggle it through the plastic mounting straps. Took about 4 minutes and the plate bracket was off. Only sign it was ever there is the two small slots in the bumper where it went through.

Old 10-08-2002, 09:59 PM
Lightbulb Headlight mod/relay

Here's a cut and paste from an earlier post for the headlights

FedexPilot,
Thanks for the great how to manual You are composing for me. I printed the "Expy Console and Sub" and saved it to reflect as I do not have my truck yet but I am completing these mods in my head (until Ford delivers my truck...Maybe by Christmas).
There is one mod or add on that you might also want for the lights. It allows your Low beam to remain on when the High beams are activated (much like when you pull the stalk back to "flash to pass"). In the stock mode the High beams come on and the Low beams and Fog lights are deactivated leaving only a High beam light pattern in the distance and a grey dimmly lit area infront of the vehicle.
With this addition ALL the lights stay on giving a much more vibrant light pattern. You can make it yourself or buy it from Summit Racing Equipment 1-800-230-3030 Part # SUM-G6219 $14.99 + $6.95 Handling..Shipping is free so if order more than one unit (2 cars in the family or friends) it's cheaper per unit. I ordered 3...2 for me one for a friend. Works great on my wifes 97 Maxima SE and My 97 Mountaineer (which will be removed and installed in my Screw)

Trending Topics

Old 10-08-2002, 10:05 PM
Smile Fellow Pa. guy!

Wassup fellow Pa. person? Where ya from? Pittsburgh here. SWEET looking truck you havew there. As for the info. you asked about, i have a few pics in m gallery with the difference of 9145 vs. 9005's. As for cutting a tab, i sure didnt have to, i wouldnt recommend it, you may damage the bulb. But, i do recommend the 9005 replacement, in the Sylania SilverStar bulbs, they are sweet! Hope you are able to do this, take care, lemme know where you are from.

medic

Old 10-08-2002, 10:26 PM
Moderator &

I'm pretty sure, on mine, that I had to cut that tiny flange off of the blub. It's a plastic piece. Not going to damage the internal workings of the bulb itself.

I tried to put the 9005 bulb straight into the housing but had zero luck in doing that thus, that's when I discovered that you had to snip that flange.

Holding the bulb side by side with the 9145 that you'll pull out of the fogs will show you exactly what needs to be snipped.

Maybe Ford has changed the housing for the fogs slightly as mine was an early 01 production.

RP

Old 10-11-2002, 06:21 PM
Rockpick,

Thanks for the link on the vb code, I should be all set now.

PGH_MEDIC,

I am in Bucks County PA, about 45 mins to 1 hour NE of Philly. I do get out to Pitt a few times a year, usually for Steelers or Pens games.. Go figure I know but Im not an Eagle or Flyer fan.

Thanks for your input on the lights, I need to check them out. Are the 9005's really that much brighter?

TIA,

Jim

Quick Reply: Headlights & License Plate Bracket