SuperCrew

Supercrew Options

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2002, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercrew Options

I am going to be ordering a Supercrew in the next week or so. I am 95% sure I am going to get a Lariat. I Want to drive one before I spend that kind of money and they are hard to find.

I was wondering what are the "must have" options for the 2003.

I am thinking:
- 6-Disc Changer
- Rear Defroster
- Captains Chairs

Not interested in the Moon Roof.

What am I missing that I would miss if I didn't have.

Just looking for a little help.

Thanks.

--
Jorge

Old 10-06-2002, 10:48 PM
4x4 or 4x2? Also missing the King Ranch package, hehe.

Old 10-06-2002, 10:53 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
An option that alot of people are going for that I personally wish I had is the power rear sliding window. It's nearly impossible to reach back from the front seat and slide your rear glass. I'm 6'1" and can't reach it. I have to get out, open the rear door, half-way climb in, and slide it open. Same routine to close it.

I'm a fresh air nut though. I love my sunroof and really wish I had the slider...

Oh yeah, and like Daveman said. You're missing the King Ranch Castano Leather. See my pictures of my truck in my gallery for details (link below in sig line). In a word. ADDICTIVE.

RP

Old 10-06-2002, 10:57 PM
Definitely a 4x4!! But not sold on the Fx4 package (about the only dirt/mud this thing will see is the road I live off of).

Was considering the King Ranch but bottom line was that....well the bottom line. Like the KR package just can't justify the bump for what you get. Not really excited about Leather in the first place but everything I have heard is that the leather will wear better than the cloth.

Thanks for the reply.

--
Jorge

Old 10-06-2002, 11:02 PM
Jorge,

Get the FX4 package. You get Rancho shocks, which are much better than the stock ones, skid plates, 3.73 rear, decal, and bigger tires.

Just my .02 cents.

Jim

Old 10-06-2002, 11:12 PM
But with the Fx4 I also get a rougher ride...

Since I really don't expect this truck to see much off road use. It will be used for hauling stuff, getting me to work and camping (maybe a trailer). I just don't know if I need "better" shocks and skid plates. It looks good I will admit that but I care more about function (ie. Ride) than I am what I look like driving down the road.

I am torn on this, like I said I haven't made up my mind. I just need more than "big tires and skid plates" as a reason to put out the money.

Thanks for the reply, I do appreciate your opinions.

--
Jorge

Old 10-06-2002, 11:31 PM
Jorge,

If you get the 4x4, I recommend the AT/S tires vs the RT/S, you'll thank me later if you wait, they're $300 more for all five.

Check out the thread in this forum that indicates available options for 2002 and 2003, the PDF files tell you everything that can be ordered and what's compatible with what.

As for the King Ranch, it's about $500 more than a comparably equipped Lariat, no kidding and worth every penny. For sure get the 3.73 gearing and don't want to advise you on the Limited slip as I'm a little suspicious right now on that unit cause a thunk in the drive line but it's just my theory so don't put too much stock in it.

IMO, 4x4 without skid plates isn't complete as the underside is vulnerable to damage and it's only a couple hunderd bucks if that much. These trucks ride like a dream even with the off road package so my advise is if you're gonna get the 4x4, build it like a 4x4. Just my $0.02.

Later and good luck,

~DM~

Trending Topics

Old 10-07-2002, 08:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Daveman... you're slipping dude....Get the 5.4L... haven't seen a single "wish I had gotten the 4.6L" comment here, vice versa I haven't seen.... drive both.

If you haven't already, drive the FX4 and compare the ride. It is not that much different, and the stock shock absorbers will last about a year and you'll be replacing them. The Rancho's will last much longer. With the Lariat, you already get the 17" wheels and tires that come with the Off Road.

Personally, I like the moonroof, and if you are thinking about the power rear window, I would choose the moonroof, the price difference is worth it.

If you are ordering, look at nerf bars, they look much better. The factory steps are nice, but collect alot of dust and dirt and almost always look dirty. The Westin Stainless Steels are nice and rust resistant.

Go with a sprayed in bedliner, LineX is great, the Rhino is nice too, but shows scuff marks. Both are lifetime warrantied. If not a sprayed in, the BedRug is very nice too.

Tow package is nice, depends on what you tow whether you need it. Transmission cooler, class 3 hitch and 7 and 4 pin wiring harness.

3.73s are optional, better acceleration/towing, less fuel mileage.

60/40 or captains? I like the captains although the 60/40 will allow you to seat 6. 60/40 the 6 disc changer goes in the compartment behind the passenger side rear seat. Captains it is in the center console (convenience).

Old 10-07-2002, 09:01 PM
JR,

Actually I didn't want to steal your thunder...

I figured you'd be right behind me with excellent advice as it appears that you've done, good job old boy!

I haven't been myself lately, I'm not real sure why though, you? Hell, maybe I am slipping or is it my transmission

Jorge,

Just order a damn King Ranch with every available option and you can't go wrong. Based on my own suvey of 51 King Ranch trucks owners from this website, only two were equipped with the 4.6L engine.

~DM~

Old 10-07-2002, 11:23 PM
Let me second RockPick's comments about the power sliding rear window. My 2003 SC is full loaded and this is probably my favorite feature (had one standard on my Sport Trac).

I have the FX4 package and I like my ride. I drove the 4X2 and it seemed awfully "soft" in my opinion, more car like. Can't really compare the 4x4 vs. the FX4 package as I didn't do that kind of comparrison. I wanted a KR, but ended up with my truck instead. Like you said, the bottom line IS the bottom line. Even if you get an XLT, get a power sliding rear window AND the sunroof, it makes a great combo!!

Old 10-07-2002, 11:29 PM
FX4

My mom drove my truck, which has the FX4 and to make a long story short, she says it rides like a really tall Caddilac... This coming from a woman that drives a Suburban with the Anaheim Conversion... You don't get much nicer in the way of Anaheim... Too bad they went belly up!

My wife loves it also.. She didn't like to drive my 1994 Bronco because she thought is too big and rode too rough.. She's right about the ride but when she compares the size, I just laugh beacuse there is no comparison between a Bronco and a SCrew... It has everything to do with ride and perception...

Good Luck and either way that you go, you won't be sorry!

Chris (ReelWork)

Old 10-08-2002, 06:42 AM
Limited slip and towing pkg.

Old 10-08-2002, 08:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes TNBigAl, you are right, I forgot that, I'll never have 4x4 without limited slip. Get two wheels off the ground and no LS, you might as well have 2 wheel drive....

Old 10-08-2002, 08:13 AM
Heated seats if you are someplace with four real seasons.

If I had it to do over again I'd order w/o the rear slider rather than the power slider. The non-power slider is useless and just blocks the view.

Old 10-10-2002, 02:28 PM
Thanks for all the advice.

Hopefully I will get this thing ordered in the next couple of days!

--
Jorge

Quick Reply: Supercrew Options