SuperCrew

Noise Dampning the floor, doors and rear cab wall

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2002, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise Dampning the floor, doors and rear cab wall

I'm going to do a complete noise dampning (Dynamat generic mat) on the door panels, firewall & floor and rear of the cab wall behind rear seat.

Has anyone taken out the storage area snd all the plastic panels behind the rear seats. Any help would be appreciated.

Also anyone pulled the headliner out? Any tips there?

I drove an 03 today and the reduction in noise in substatial. I'm keeping my 01 for a while so I'm going to try and quiet her down some inside.

Old 10-05-2002, 10:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let us know the results and cost...

Old 10-06-2002, 01:34 PM
Picked up 100 sf of noise mat on ebay for $120 with shipping. I hope it proves to be good stuff. Feedback on ebay was good so I'll give it a try.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1384804930

I'm going to do door panels and upgrade speakers first. Will start as soon as the mat gets here end of this week. This is part 1 and the floor and rear wall will be the harder part 2. Don't know if I'll get to the headliner or not.

That areas behind the back seat looks like it is held with a bunch of snap in fastners. Bet I break a bunch in the process of getting all this off. Will make sure I pickup a half dozen or so to be ready.

Still have to track down a t55 torx to get the seatbelt and seat anchor bolts out. Off to track that down now.

Old 10-07-2002, 10:33 AM
KGM
When I had my Lightning I Dynamated the entire cab. I use a speaker phone setup and the truck was noisy running on the freeways around here. Well I did not notice much of a difference, and for the price I was very unhappy. My new '02 Lariat 4X4 is quieter than the "L" with Dyna in it. Maybe it was just the wide tires on the "L", I don't know. Good luck with yours.

Old 10-07-2002, 09:42 PM
That's not good news.

I hope I am a little happier. I'll I have only invested is 120 bucks and a time doing doors (1 day) and then floor (another one day) I figure.

Wish you had better luck. You did up the firewall and the entire floor and rear cab wall and door panels? How about behind the door pillar trim? Did you make sure they had good adhesion on all surfaces covered?

Maybe if I got the OEM dampning pad from an 03 on top of the dynamat. I have FOMOCO buddy and will have him check into part.

Old 10-07-2002, 11:09 PM
KGM
The entire cab, including the roof. The one thing I did notice was guys with big $ stereos next to me didn't rattle the cab anymore. Do you know exactly what Ford did to quite up the '03's?

Old 10-15-2002, 02:24 PM
Well it's done. Almost. Got the back wall floor and two front doors done. Did double layers on the drivers and front passenger floorpan and up the firewall as far as I could get. I Ran out of Dynamat before the two back doors were done. Have to get a little more mat to finish.

It helped quiet it down a lot. Very worth the time and money.

Pretty straightforward. Key tools are a t50 and 55 torx socket.

Here is a run down.

Remove back seats & seat belt anchors. T50 torx.

Remove back wall panel. two outermost plastic rivets / snap fittings pull out but the center 3 ones are threaded. just push your thumb and turn and they will back off. Remove row of nuts along base of wall panel. Grab and pull outward to release 3 snap (left center and right) fittings on panel. Remove row of nuts along bottom

Remove jack box. 2 screws and slide it towards center of truck to release lock tab. Remove black liner (these plastic rivets pull out).

Grab the edge of the rear door kick panel cover and pull up firmly. set aside.

Remove the upper panel for the rear seatbelt surround (grab and pull toward center of truck.)

Remove rivet in top of lower rear seat belt cover (push one side of a needle nose pliers in the center and squeeze and pull out. Remove cover by grabbing and pulling out and up. Notice the unused speaker holes in there?

Repeat on other side.

Remove front seats (t55) Driver electric seats have two connectors (undo with small flat screwdriver to release catches)

Remove center Console ( 4 18mm nuts) 2 are under cup holders (grab center spine between the cup holders and pull up hard) WOW NICE Secret Compartment eh !!

If you have a CD changer pull off trim/surround (pull it straight up) and there are two screws near the top of the changer two remove. Disconnect wire harness quick connector. Remove bottom liner for console and remove the back two nuts. Remove console.

Remove front door kick panels (grab rear edge and pull up and work towards front)

Fold carpet forward from rear as far as you can (1/2 way to front just behind B pillar.. Pull out from under B pillar by lifting carpet in middle. Grab holes for front seats and pull carpet back and out from under dash. Remove carpet. Good opportunity to vacume the heck our of the carpet and get it really clean.

Remove rear seat duct (2 plastic rivits just pull out with pilers)

Vacume or blow out interior. Note how dog hair has gotten UNDER carpet! Also note how the floor of the cab sounds like a tympanny drum when you hit it.

Installing Dynamat is pretty straightforward. No one will ever see it so just remember that. This stuff is REALLY sticky so when it goes down it is VERY hard to get it back up. 36x24 or smaller is a good working size. As you get better your can try larger pieces.

I started on the rear cab wall. It works best to go from top down. Under the rear glass I started just under the studs for the threaded plastic caps. I went up the sides about ½ up the seatbelt adjustment track.

Best to remove a small amount of backing paper and position one edge. Then reach under and peel paper back and work into all contours and curves. Make sure you go down into valleys and dips and not over them. Don’t try and use great big pieces. Use 36x24 and overlap seams at least 1 inch. Double up in front floorboards.

Make sure you cutout holes for all seatbelts and seat mounting bolts. Remove ritets for wire harnesses and lay mat then puch holes and reinstall rivits.

Reinstall interior. Reinstall rear seat heat vents. Put clean carpet back in. Work carpet back underneath dash and heat vents. Goes back in easilly.

Then move onto interior parts. Order is important here: Rear lower seatbelt covers first, then uppers, then black liner, then jack box then back wall. Install rear seat belts before seats. Then rear seats and kick panel covers. Then center console and front seats and kick panels.

Think that is about it. Enjoy your quiet truck.

Quick Reply: Noise Dampning the floor, doors and rear cab wall