What oil Weight in my 4x4 Screw?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 01:46 PM
Wes
Account Suspended For Cross-Posting Unrelated Classified Ad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What oil Weight in my 4x4 Screw?

Hi guys,

What oil weight should I use in my SuperCrew 4x4 with the 5.4? It has 21,000 miles on it, and I want to use the best oil for gas mileage? Any ideas on weight or brands? I use my 4x4 about once a week, mud....hills....sand.... but I guess I also need an oil that is good for the south texas humidity too...

any thoughts?

Wes

Old 09-23-2002, 01:58 PM
Wes...

When I got my first oil change at 3k miles (last week) I asked the same thing and believe it or not the "recomended" oil weight is 5w30. I researched a little and that is accurate!

So, there ya go!

Chris (ReelWork)

Read more about oil in your library...

Old 09-23-2002, 02:14 PM
If you read the manual, all Fords are now SAE 5w20. The reason for this is better mileage (not much but a little) and the oil will lube the parts faster when the engin has been sitting for a while. Now you can use a higher weight with no problems but this is the recomended and what I use. There is no extra cost and if there is it's minimal. The problem has been that 5w20 has been hard to find but thats not much of an issue any more.

When in doubt, read the manual...

Old 09-23-2002, 02:23 PM
Yep...

You are correct with 5w20.. I hit "3" instead of "2"... My mistake...

Old 09-23-2002, 04:33 PM
Wes
Account Suspended For Cross-Posting Unrelated Classified Ad
Thanks for the info...

Reelwork, I`m in San Antonio too! I`m on the west side right near sea world.....

talk to you later

Old 09-24-2002, 10:51 AM
KGM
Texas climate is probably close to Southern Nevadas. I've been running 4.6/5.4's since '97 including a Lightning for 2yrs. Mobil 1 10/30 in all 4 trucks and no problems. I don't think you will see any mileage increase by oil weights. Nail the gas one time and it's a mute point. Now cold climates is another thing.

Old 09-25-2002, 12:02 PM
Thumbs up Best oil to use

The best oil to use would be AMSOIL Series 2000, 0W-30. this is a 35000 mile oil ( filter change @ 12000 miles ). And yes, you may notice some improvement in mpg, due to the improved lubrication/less friction. While most of us have been led to believe ( after all these years !) that synthetics are costly, the real benefits have been proven time and again. Check out last months Hot Rod magazine for a test on the dyno with a street rod and reg off the shelf GOOD oil and then same test with full synthetics in motor,trans, rearend, etc. They are the real thing, just outside of our learned culture so to speak. I run them in 2 boats, 2 trucks ( '02 SCrew & a GMC ), a Honda car and am currently ordering for my friends after they saw the difference and the benefits.
Just my opinion after years of studying the differences and results. I'm sold on them.

Last edited by flscrew; 09-25-2002 at 12:04 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 09-25-2002, 12:15 PM
I would need a lot of convencing to get me to use any oil for 35,000 miles!

The amount of oil is the same and if you get contaminates in the oil, it will only hold so much. That just seems like too much. I can see 4000, 5000, and even 6000 miles but 35,000?

Old 09-25-2002, 09:38 PM
KGM
I'm with you dcovell, I only go 3K with M1. I'm sure it could stay in a couple thousand miles longer but why. Amsoil maybe good, but come on lets be real here. flscrew what do you run in your boat? I run M1 15/50 in mine [502/415] changed every 10hrs and it's starting to look pretty dirty.

Old 09-27-2002, 09:56 AM
OK, not wanting to start a debate, but the TBN of a lubricating oil is one of the keys here. FULL synthetics are much different than the standard "dino oil " and blends. Anyway, yes 35000 seems outrageous until one understands the molecular structure/TBN of these oils. I'll stop there. It has taken me years to be convinced and I understand everyone's apprehension. Understand too, oil filters are changed during this mileage. And, one could also do oil analysis to even prolong oil changes *IF* the base and wear particle counts are satisfactory. Our predictive maintenance group uses oil analysis on all of our large and small motors and gearboxes to determine wear issues and lubrication changeouts. We have gone from the old school of wholesale oil and lube changes on an annual basis to testing on dedicated frequencies. These folks are the ones who finally convinced me of the benefits of FULL synthetics. And I have seen the difference in our equipment, from mile long conveyors with multiple gearboxes and motors to 800 HP electric motors for our boiler fans.
ANYWAY, enough of that. Just look into these with an open mind and study the differences.

As for my boats, I run the AMSOIL Two-Cycle Injector oil in both the 130HP Yamaha and the 25HP Mariner. This is a highly concentrated product and one quart will pre-mix 25 gallons of fuel at 100:1 ratio. Understand also that the engine manufacturers recommend other ratios ( 30,40,50:1 ) for average quality petroleum oil (storebought) which is the normal purchase for the majority of folks.

Again, I'm not trying to sell ya, just food for thought. Someday, check out an area engine builder or a large fleet garage, and ask about their experiences with lubrications, both FULL synthetics and off the shelf oil. And, ask some *serious* racers what they use. 90% will be FULL synthetics in the motor,rear-end,tranny, pwr steering, etc.

Ok, I'm done. Thanks folks. And I understand your skeptism. Been there...

Quick Reply: What oil Weight in my 4x4 Screw?