SuperCrew

Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2002, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Filter

I've got a 2001 Supercrew 5.4 - it cut out on me some today (Yikes) - briefly. I suspect the Fuel Filter - where is it located? Anyone know?

How often should this be changed?

Old 09-21-2002, 11:33 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, I believe the answer can be found in your owners manual. Surely I can't be dreaming that I read it was underneath the truck, on the frame, driver's side, special tool required for removal.

Old 09-22-2002, 10:22 AM
Rexwl;
The fuel filter is underneath the vehicle on the left side between the front/ rear passenger positions. See this link for removal info - - you'll need a special tool (from NAPA/ Autozone/ etc).
http://www.fordf150.net/howto/fuelfilter.htm

Old 09-22-2002, 06:14 PM
It's not that hard to change out... it's best to let the truck sit overnight to bleed off fuel pressure from the pump. Pick up the small plastic AC/fuel line kit from most any parts store - don't get the larger metal tool with the long arms - it won't fit down in the frame rail where the filter is. Be prepared to have gas running all down your arm. Yum. Also, getting the fuel filter out of the clips is tricky - it's in there very tight. After a few of them, I can now change it in about 10 minutes with no more than 5 multi-syllable profanities.

Good luck,
jC.

Old 09-23-2002, 08:28 AM
Thanks Guys

Thanks everyone..

I went to O-Reily's and got the tool - and asked for a fuel filter for a F-150. The one they listed was about twice as big around as the one on my truck so we had to cross reference the part number for a Wick's filter that would match it.

They had one and with the tool - it took about 2 minutes to replace it.

Thanks for your help. Hopefully this will fix the occasional cutting out my truck began last week.

One note - for the huge quantity of fuel my truck consumes - this seems like an awfully small fuel filter. If this was the problem - I'm going to start changing this every 15k or so.

If this isn't the problem - I'm going to have to go get this thing analyzed - Or basically, grab the ankles and hope the dodo at the dealership knows how to run his analyzer. That would be about a 50/50 proposition in my experience.

Old 09-30-2002, 09:44 PM
snj
I had a situation where my truck would "cut out" or felt like maybe a long miss. it ended up being the selenoid was shot. The terminals were actually loose in the device. The occasional cut-out was followed by a couple times when it wouldn't start and finally quit on the road. This is when the dealer finally replaced it. I haven't had the problem since. Good luck.

Old 10-02-2002, 07:51 AM
Update

Well I changed the Fuel filter and there was no immediate change.

I made sure that I used High quality gas the next tank full - and put in some Techron.

It still cut out occasionally on that tank - but 2 tanks in everything seems to be running fine now. Guess I got a bad tank of Gas.

I'm going to make sure I run name brand gas from new gas stations from now on.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter