SuperCrew

Buff or Repaint?-Body Shop in DFW?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 01:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Buff or Repaint?-Body Shop in DFW?

My screw was hit in the left front fender by a board. There was no dent left but it is scratched very badly (atleast i think its bad). I went to Service King today and they said that they think it can be buffed. It is a black truck in case it matters. I was wondering if i should insist on them repainting it, insurance is paying, or should i just let them buff it out assuming that it meets my satisfaction. The door does have a few light scratches and I have no problem with those being buffed out. I am just worried about the fender. Any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciatted.

Also, anyone in the DFW are have suggestions on collision places? Service King has a good reputation from what i can tell but i wanted some first hand experience. Once again, any help is appreciatted.

Justin

Old 09-12-2002, 10:24 AM
Hey jrudd, how deep did the scratch go? A body shop told me that the clear coat on most cars is not real deep. If the scratch isn't through it, it can be rubbed out. I had a '97 Dakota that a big dog had jumped up on both doors and scratched the hell out of them. I thought they were pretty deep, but in less than a hour the shop had wet sanded both doors and they still looked like new when I sold it last year.
Your Service King sounds like our King of Dings. They do touch up, minor painting, interior repair and other related things. Their paint touch up is good, I can't say how the other work runs. We have quite a few of these small specialty shops in the area and the quality depends on the experience of the man doing the work, of course.
I know you hate having that scratch , it will draw the eye to it until it's repaired. But, it could be worse. Last week I was in the rear side on my less than 8000 mile s'crew. $9900 damage. I'm taking it to the dealership this morning for repairs. I'll see it in about three weeks if everything goes fine. Ought to take it to a shop like Service King and ask them to fix it, just for laughs.

Old 09-12-2002, 10:31 AM
Since the clearcoat is very thin, you have to be very careful buffing. If they have to buff too much, then they will be forced to repaint, as the clearcoat will be worn through. If it is a significant scratch, it should be repainted. I just had to have my bed panel repainted due to a nasty scratch.

Old 09-12-2002, 12:17 PM
JRUDD,

I have a place for you:

Texas Body Works
(972) 250-6722

They are on Midway north of Keller Springs. A couple of years I dented the top of my wife's Celica badly (didn't think I weighed that much). They got me a new hood and repainted the hood and fenders to match. They did a great job and were very helpful.

Will (Willderness)

Old 09-13-2002, 10:39 AM
BTW,

Here is a picture of the hood 1 month after the paint job. Yes, we did both live.

Will

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...0816&anum=2506

Old 09-15-2002, 09:21 AM
Not only is the clearcoat very thin, so is the paint itself. The body shop should know if it can be buffed out or not1

Old 09-15-2002, 06:07 PM
Thank You!!

All of your input has given me the knowledge i wanted.

Justin

Quick Reply: Buff or Repaint?-Body Shop in DFW?