SuperCrew

2003 vs. 2002

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 11:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 vs. 2002

Hello all!

I'm still shopping and finally got to see the 2003 SC Lariat today. As a matter of fact, I have an FX4 sitting in the driveway! I finally found a salesman who knows how to sell a truck..... let you keep it overnight!

Anyway, after exhaustive research on this board, I've seen where the 2002 Lariat Leather is of poor quality, the seats are uncomfortable, and many of you like and prefer the 3.73 rear axle to the 3.55. I've also read where the 2003 is supposed to be quieter.

Well, here's my summary. The '03 is definitely quiet. The salesman noticed the leather and made the comment that Ford had changed leather suppliers and that the '03 Lariat leather was now like leather found in an Eddie Bauer. (?? accuracy??) I immediately noticed the lumbar in the '03 is not as pronounced as the '02. The '02 is less desireable in my book.

Wife wants to compare to a '02 KR 4x4. Of course, we are looking at different leather, different lumbar support, and different gear ratios.... all for a $275 difference (peanuts on a truck this expensive).

For those of you who have had a chance to compare, please sound off and give your feedback on the '02 vs. the '03.

Thanks!

Oh, in case you were wondering, this truck is dark shadow gray w/ silver accent, 3.73 LS axle, 17" rims w/ LT265/70 OWL tires, Power moonroof, power sliding rear window, skid plates, heated seats, Rancho shocks, FX4 package, 6 disc in dash changer, trailer towing pkg, and chrome tube running boards. A SWEET TRUCK!!!

Last edited by Marc STewart; 09-11-2002 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-11-2002, 06:38 AM
Marc,

You're a better man than I if you can turn that baby in and walk away with nothing. Once I drive something home that's sweet like what you've described, I'd have a hard time parting with it.

The only way I could part with it was if I hated the color, had to have a KR or just couldn't afford it. Sorry, no advice on your questions though.

See Ya,

~DM~

Old 09-11-2002, 08:18 AM
Daveman,

No comparrison between year models??

Yes, This truck is THE BOMB!! Will be hard to turn it in later today, but you know how indecisive I can be! Last night, I decided I would trade and felt good about it. Today, I started thinking about that payment. Ugghh.

To everyone else.... hasn't anyone had a chance to compare the new to the old?? Someone out there has some feedback for comparrison. Where are you hiding?

Old 09-11-2002, 09:20 AM
I am holding out for the 2004 (should be out mid 2003). New styling, better 5.4 engine, expecting a much improved truck. As much as I like the current F-150 models, I am definitely looking forward to the more aggressive and fresh styling. I would be hesitant to pull the trigger with 6 to 8 months left in a "old" model. Anyone else waiting for the new one?

Old 09-11-2002, 10:15 AM
The seats and leather in the 03 are really nice and an 03 will always be worth more than an 02. But in all honesty, I would get the 03 JUST FOR THE 3.73 GEARS!

Old 09-11-2002, 11:42 AM
Marc,

I can't compare the 02 with the 03; but I can compare the 01 1st generation with the 03. I owned a 01 SCrew for two years and absolutely loved it!! I never had any problems with it including the elusive "THUNK" referred to in this forum. The truck drove as nice and strong as the day I bought it. Any way the 01 was an XLT 4X4 with 17" tires and wheels and a 3.55 rear end.

I am now the proud owner of a 03 SCrew. I equipped it almost identically to my 01 SCrew! I have had it for two weeks. The 03 SCrew is just as fanastic a set of wheels as my 01!!! What I really have noticed as improvements is the ride is quiter, the seats seems wider and much more comfortable, and of course the 3.73 rear end. That's sayin allot since I thought the ride, seats, and rear end set-up were great in my 01!! Goos luck and you'll love your new truck!!

Mike V

Old 09-12-2002, 09:10 PM
Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah "Buy a truck already" any truck just get a truck. I am offended that you are trashing 2002 Supercrews. I think you might want to clean up your discrimination type talk others might be offended as well......Give me a break

Trending Topics

Old 09-12-2002, 09:16 PM
Madd,

See my post "Who's Da Man" then get off my back.

Marc

Old 09-13-2002, 01:48 AM
Madd,

He did buy a truck, a 03, and for all the right reasons! Man you need to relax! Go drive your Screw around the block or take a Valium.

Old 09-13-2002, 07:49 AM
Mtnmike,

Thanks for the post! Just ignore Madd! He's been riding my back for a while because I have been so indecisive. As I said in a post a while back, that's how I shop (tendency to be indecisive) but I always get a good deal when I do make the purchase. I saved $4,735 thru x-plan off MSRP and got the exact number I needed for my trade.

I wasn't "trashing" the '02. We all know every year the car manufacturers make quality improvements. The '03 is much more quiet, the seat is more comfortable, and the 3.73 rear end speaks for itself! If you don't believe me, go take one out for a test drive. Maybe your salesman will even let you take it home. Then, he probably won't get it back the next day (will he Daveman?).

Anyway, in deep debt but my truck ROCKS!!

Old 09-13-2002, 09:40 AM
Marc,

Good for you! I spent the time in effort needed to get the best possible deal when I bought my 2001. Found a great dealer and got my first SCRew for "True Invoice". When it came to my 03 purchase I just rang him up, told him what I wanted, and got the same great price. Hard to beat that. Anyway congratulations!!

Old 09-16-2002, 02:23 AM
X-Plan - What is it?

Hey Marc STewart,

You said "I saved $4,735 thru x-plan off MSRP and got the exact number I needed for my trade." This really caught my eye because I'm shoppng right now myself. Can you expand on this X-plan thing or give me a URL to information on it?

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited by THall; 09-16-2002 at 02:27 AM.
Old 09-16-2002, 08:30 AM
THall,

That's right, my MSRP was $38,740. X plan was $34,005. A savings of $4735.

Look for my post titled, "Who's Da Man?" You will find part or all of your answer here. I addressed a response to Screwfun toward the bottom of the first page. Actually, read the entire post as I think you will find a link posted by someone else.

And, don't shoot me for saying this, but you can always do a search on this site. (I hate getting that response).

f you can find a dealership or salesman who will sell AT invoice, then don't worry about x-plan. X plan may only save you another $100 or so. I found two salesmen who sold nearly ALL their deals at invoice. One was a fleet sales manager (you didn't have to have a fleet to work with him) and the other was an internet sales manager.

As for the trade in value, they gave me the kbb trade in value, which I was looking for. Another dealership offered me more for the trade about 6 weeks earlier but he also thought he was going to sell me the truck at retail. I wasn't going to sit there and ****er over another $500.

Best of Luck with your search. There are some great deals out there right now on the '02s.

Old 09-16-2002, 01:17 PM
THall,

I'll give you a tip I learned a few years ago. These days most dealers have an internet sales team. They are a seperate section in the dealership and are commonly the same people who do Fleet Sales. Generally you can purchase through them at or close to invoice. The only requirement I know of (and this does not always hold true) is that your initial and follow-up communications be done via Email.

Do a Web Search for dealers in your area. If you are in a town with only one dealership expand your search to a larger metropolitan area which would include any major city nearby. Check the Kelly BlueBook site ( www.kbb.com ) and use the "Build Your Vehicle" feature to get both the MSRP and True Invoice price.

Check each dealer's website for "Internet Sales" or Email contact information. Email each dealer stating specifically what you are interested in. Ask for their best price on an "Ordered Unit" or an "In-stock Unit". You stand the best chance of getting the best price ordering a new vehicle. Let them know you have Emailed other dealers in the area for similar offers. YOU WILL GET OFFERS BACK!!

Once you have decided on the dealer you are going to use then call the contact person and make an appointment to meet face to face.

This method has worked well for me. I have bought two SCrews this way and my wife's car over the last three years. Although we had to factory order the vehicles and wait a few weeks for delivery, we never paid more than True Invoice for any of them! You will save four to five thousand dollars off MSRP depending on the invoice spread vs MSRP.

If you are planning a trade-in or a used car purchase then forget about it! Although there are exceptions to everything, generally you won't get anywhere near the deal as you will with a straight up purchase via ordering!!!

Last edited by Mtnmike; 09-16-2002 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:25 PM

Last edited by MikeF150; 01-07-2005 at 05:46 PM.

Quick Reply: 2003 vs. 2002