SuperCrew

Clarion Sub Install.. How to with pics..

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found out that if you turn the gain at all it distorts. I kept mine all the way down and now use the bass selector on my HU. I love it, wife hates it. Same old story.

-W

Old 09-12-2002, 05:52 PM
Talking I'm convinced..

After reading the great directions and seeing the pics.. I went and ordered the Clarion from Crutchfield too...

Thanks for helping me spend more money on my truck

I too was looking for something that sounded good inside the cab, but didnt wake the neighborhood...

Mosa

Old 09-12-2002, 09:44 PM
Wow, sombody is a little touchy about people doing things differently than they did. And for the record, if you ask me, it is assinine to cut the woofer. If you make a mistake, you can thorw it away. And if ya want to sell it, most likley, it would be a 2000 or prior year truck looking to buy it, and that is what I was talking about. But anyway, it is alot easier fella's, to cut 1/8" off the asstray, trust me. I can take the woofer out, and you still do not see the cut ashtra. The second picture shows a rough idea of what you have to cut out on the ashtray. It takes all of about 30 seconds to cut. You could just file it down if you wanted to.

Now for the rest of you guys, what are you talking about with the tan color? Mine matched almost perfectly, I'll attach a picture. What interior's do you guys have that it is not, matching? I have the tan leather (Lariot).

Old 09-12-2002, 10:00 PM

Last edited by MikeF150; 01-07-2005 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-12-2002, 10:14 PM
2002 (see signature)

Oh common, it's a TRUCK for gods sake. Thats' the same color. Now your sounding like my wife picking out lipstick!!

Old 09-12-2002, 11:04 PM
Well...

Look, All that matters is that you are happy with the install whatever method you chose to do and you're right, it is a truck. However, when I pay $30k+ for a truck, I am going to treat it a little better than a K-car and do the job right. You obviously take more stock in the subwoofer than you do the truck...

Y'all be good!
Chris (ReelWork)

CCarrara - I have a request... I, for one, would absolutely love to see more of your refreshing handywork and mods... How about installing an autodimming rear view mirror for us all. I'd love to see how you would screw that puppy to the windshield and mount some cables to the mirror so that it will never fall off and get damaged.. Or how about putting on one of those bug deflectors, you had better epoxy that dude down so you don't have to drill holes and screw it into the hood.. ROTF

Last edited by ReelWork; 09-12-2002 at 11:47 PM.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:24 PM
Never Mind...

Never mind, I see some more of your handy work in the background... I noticed that you installed speakers, white ones which you can clearly see through the door grilles.. After I installed those same basic speakers, I realized how it looked and I went to a sporting goods store and bought some matching gray lycra, cut it to shape and covered the entire opening from the backside using hot glue although, you might want to nail it down.. Here's a pic... Give it a try...

Old 09-13-2002, 09:09 AM
Ok, play nice. I too think your definition of "matches perfectly" is a little off. The sub was the darkest piece of plastic in my truck, and was even a darker tan than the carpet. Since I painted it, it matches perfectly with the console and is only a little lighter than the dash. Looks more stock to me. When I scan the pictures I will show you the difference.

Old 09-13-2002, 09:25 AM
Picky Picky,

Settle down ladies. Some people do things differently. I myself cut the sub because I didn't want to damage my baby at all. All of my mods (minus the extender mod) can be easily reversed when I sell my truck with no additional money spent. They are both great ideas to a common problem. Some say Tomato some say Chevy. Thanks to everyone on this forum for all of the help. I am loving my sub more each day now that I have found out how to fine-tune it with the HU. I still wish there was an on/off switch on the front of the unit at the bottom or something. Just some wishful thinking.

Will (Willderness)

P.S. If you are a lady I apologize in advance.

Old 09-13-2002, 09:33 AM
Ok.. I'm sorry...

Alright, alright... I probably owe an apology...

Just having a little fun last night and still couldn't believe my eyes when reading "Almost perfect" - which it certainly is not and that is quite obvious among other things. I think we are just about all in agreement there..

It's almost like making fun of an Aggie down here in Texas (sorry to you Aggies). It's darn near irresistible..

No hard feelings CCarrara, I was just playin with ya! Seriously though, I hope you find that speaker grille helpful..

Chris (ReelWork)

Some say tomato, some say chevy... Now that is funny!

That was exactly my point, that everything I do can be reversed without having to run to the dealer to replace a piece...

Old 09-13-2002, 10:06 AM
Hard feelings? Are you kidding, I enjoyed it!! No problem.... but that is what these forums is for, arguing out different points of view.

But I have to say this, I understand what you guys are talking about with the different shade of the woofer. But, if you look closely at your trucks interior, there is about 4 or 5 different shades already!! The seats leather, the dash, the interior of the dash (there are two shades), the carpet, the interior door panels. So, I personally think the sub matches the rest PERFECT. It fits right in. I've had mine in my truck for 8 months now, and I have NEVER had anyone even notice the subwoofer peice. They think it is just part of the truck. Not only that, they don't even realize that it is a subwoofer, they think it is just part of the console. I have to actually point it out and explain to them that I added it.

So that is why I am saying, it matches PERFECT. I think you are doing other folks here who have never seen the thing a great disservice bye saying "..it doesn't match and needs to be painted....". That is just non-sense and is crazy. The problem with that is this: There are probably guys out there that will read it and say, "forget it then, if I have to paint the thing to make it look ok, then I'm not going to buy one". And then they will miss out in the incredible difference in sound it makes by just spending $200 and an hour or two to install. I think you can understand my point.

One last thing. What kind of paint are you guys using anyway? The sub is pvc plastic, probably the most difficult material on the planet to make paint stick properly. How nice is it going to look when it starts chipping and flaking?

Oh.. my speakers are not white, they are metalic (kevlar) and actually look very cool. And from the outside (from an angle), you can not see them at all.

Old 09-13-2002, 10:09 AM
Forgot one thing..... Already have the auto-dimming mirror, came with the truck, sorry!!

Come to think of it, maybe this is part of the problem. Do you guys have the Lariot? Is it possible the Lariot's color scheme is a little different than the regular trucks, and that is why I think mine matches better than you folks? ?

Anywho!!

Old 09-13-2002, 10:25 AM

Last edited by MikeF150; 01-07-2005 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:31 AM
OK,

Now I am in the mix. Some say tomato some say Chevy. I just made that up earlier. LOL. Maybe I should patent it and sell bumper stickers.

Watch out for those aggie jokes. That's hitting below the belt. OSU undergrad, TAMU MBA. I am an aggie twice removed.

BTW.

Some say tomato some say Chevy©

Copyright 2002 Wmartin, Inc.©

Watch for the bumper sticker in late 2002. ROFL!

Old 09-13-2002, 10:37 AM
Will

No worries there on the A&M Aggies... I went to UT and I married into an Aggie family... So, I don't have anything against them. I think all the Texas Universities are great. My sis is going to Baylor right now...

You know what I mean about Aggie jokes though.. They don't get too much better! LOL

Chris (ReelWork)

You know, funny thing about A&M is that it was built as a sister school to UT.. I wish they acted a little more like it though!\

Where in the Big D are you? My Bro-in-law live in Corinth.. North Dallas on the way to Denton by lake Lewisville..

Last edited by ReelWork; 09-13-2002 at 10:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Clarion Sub Install.. How to with pics..