SuperCrew

SuperCrew resale WAY DOWN

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SuperCrew resale WAY DOWN

I've been trying to trade in my SuperCrew to move up to an F250 to pull bigger TT.

Just to warn you, there is no market out there right now. I'm getting trade offers $15K-18K on a 2001 with 30k miles that had an MSRP of $31000. Internet resources would have you beleive $20000 is the right number.

Since the 2002 SD's are nearly gone I've about decided to wait unitl spring when my wife's Sport Trac comes off lease. I'll put here in the S'creww until its lease is up.

Old 09-04-2002, 07:55 PM
It's true...there is a huge surplus in the used car market right now... Since good deals on new cars have come out, people have been trading in. The new car market hasn't been hit hard by the economy (yet!!!). As a result, everyone traded in and got new cars (I did). Wait a while, it will even out.

Old 09-04-2002, 08:00 PM
I thought I had read on this site where people were paying $26,000.00 for a loaded 2001 SCrew, 4x4. I had thought at the time it was a little high, as I have been driving mine more than 2 years now and $26000.00, converted to Canadian would be close to what I paid new. I thought I should go to Minneapolis and sell it. The dealer may not be doing you any favors. What do they sell for privately? $18000.00 sounds low. Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-04-2002, 08:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clma75,

Ahhh... I know some people in the car business that wish your statement was true. The new car market has been hit hard and thus the deals (0% financing), which has not only created a huge inventory of used vehicles, but also depressed used car values. I would imagine the trade-in is down for these reasons as well as some others... one being that the dealers have to cut better deals to sell vehicles due to the economy, so they offer less on trades... the dealership is run like any other business, they try to turn profit on sales, service, and parts as well as wholesale side of trades... just the nature of business.

Old 09-04-2002, 10:18 PM
all of that may be true but if it is shouldn't the NADA, KBB and Edmunds website reflect it.

They are all regionalized by zip code and NADA says $18500, Edmunds says $21000, KBB $19000 so I go looking for somewhere around $20000 and they offer me $15575.

I'll wait until Ford gets it back for nothing before I'll throw $3000 of my money into it.

Old 09-05-2002, 01:14 AM
Yea, until those deals on new cars/trucks are not as nice, anyone thinking of selling a used car/truck will get screwed.

On the other hand anyone looking for a used car/truck, now is the time...

PS I have a friend who is looking for a Superduty crewcab with the disel around 2-4 years old. Anyone who knows about one of these in the San Diego area, let me know.

Old 09-05-2002, 04:29 AM
Well I must be the "Lucky One" I sold my 2001 SCrew XLT 4X4 with 17,000 miles on it for $26,500 to a private buyer. Nothing special other than it was in mint condition with low miles. Had it on the market three days and made the sale!!

Bought the 01 SCrew for invoice (approx $28,800 factory order) in August of 2000. Owed $19,400 on it when I sold it August 2 of this year. ! Just bought a 2003 at invoice and made a pretty good down payment as a result of that sale.

Trending Topics

Old 09-05-2002, 09:05 AM
Jeez - I only paid $26,500 for my 02 XLT brand new ($34,500 sticker).

Mike sold his on his own - you're trying to trade in. The only way you are going to get 20k is to sell it on your own. If it's leased, just wait it out and turn it in, hopefully you won't have to pay any "extra".

Old 09-05-2002, 10:36 AM
Cool New or Used...

Well, I can tell you that I for one bought new because it was more cost effective for me. The day I actually bought my truck, I was on the way to look at a used Lariat SCrew 4X4 with 40k miles and they wanted $21K for it. I ended up driving it and then went and drove the one I ended up buying. I did the math and it was cheaper for me in the long run and resale wise to buy brand new than it was for a used one! so for $10k more, I got a brand spanking new one with 34 miles, 2 model years newer, warranty, and all the updates since then...

Plus, if you buy new you know the history... That's a big deal to a lot of people and worth the extra to people - like me!

I am sure a lot people think just like I do on the subject and that's what is fueling the sagging used car market... Actually, I wouldn't say it is "sagging" per se, just the new car market is much more robust...

Chris (ReelWork)

And did I read that correctly, a 2002 FX4 4x4 SCrew for $26.5k ??? Man, that is a good deal... I got mine at $30k with all the add-ons (steps, bed extender etc..) plus TTL..

Last edited by ReelWork; 09-05-2002 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-05-2002, 02:09 PM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
new and used pricing

Last month I sold a '97 ext. cab 4x4 lariat styleside for 15,000 with 80,000 miles on it, and two month before bought my '02 Screw, Lariat FX 4x4 for 29,500. I'd say 15,000 for an '01 Screw was very low.

Old 09-05-2002, 02:29 PM
Trade in value and resale two different things

>>>>Sounds pretty low to me. When I recently traded my 99 Supercap XLT 4x4 the dealer came up to $17,300 on it. The truck had 40,000 miles which was below average mileage and was in excellent condition. The problem with trading in your vehicle on a new one is they're either gonna hit you on the sticker price or the the trade in price as apposed to going in and buying without a trade. Usually if you get them down very far off the new vehicles MSRP with a trade in they attempt to give you low end on the trades value. With what I got out of the trade the $17,300 was about $3,000 higher than what I researched the standard trade in value to be for my old truck, combine that with what I got them down from MSRP I basically got my new truck for invoice.

>>>>Your always better off trying to sell your current truck privately than trading. That's what I usually do but this time I wanted to pick up my SCrew before I went on vacation so I bit the bullet and traded. Turned out decent for me anyway. One thing to remember is that the trade in value is usually always $3,000 to $5,000 dollars different than the resale value is gonna be. So the $15k to $18k isn't truly indicative of your trucks resale value, more so the trade in value and thats always much lower to give the dealer a margin of profit of what your buying and also when they attempt to sale your trade.

Last edited by JPF1715; 09-05-2002 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-05-2002, 02:44 PM
NEVER trade-in a vehicle unless it is a total POS which you cannot sell. Work the best cash price on the new one (you should have no problem getting close to inventory or at inventory). Then sell your other vehicle on your own. This is the best way to maximize your purchase to your advantage. YOU WILL ALWAYS GET SCREWED ON A TRADE_IN!! It's the nature of the business. They don't want your truck and are looking at auction wholesale. They will never take a loss on a trade-in. They are in the business to make money like any other business.

Old 09-05-2002, 06:36 PM
MtnMike hit the nail on the head with that one. My father owns a used car lot, and he and I used to work for a new dealership. The dealer can't give you a "good" deal on your trade-in, because we always have to look at wholesale value, because as soon as you buy the car, your trade-in goes to the auction to be sold. Especially in used cars, because most trade-ins are POS. Privately selling your car and then taking cash to the dealer is always the best way to get the best deal, because we can handle making a lot less money without worrying about a crap trade-in.

Cya,
Matt

Old 09-06-2002, 06:17 PM
I usually try to sell or wait until lease is up.

I'm trying to make two points. First dealers are offering way below published trade numbers and even though there is little or no incentives on new S'crews, used ones don't seem to be holding.

Mine is still for sale but not for much longer becasue the left over SD's are getting slim.

Old 09-06-2002, 07:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the reasons dealers are not offering as much as the publicize prices is that they work from a different book, not the bluebook. They use the black book, but aside from that, during times like these when 0% financing is running rampant, the values are so volatile that even the monthly books are out of date quickly. And remember, the used car sales manager goes to auctions quite often to fill the lot with used inventory, so he has a pretty good idea what vehicles go for at the auction and can work those numbers......

Quick Reply: SuperCrew resale WAY DOWN