SuperCrew

Do you other '02 SCrew owners notice this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2002, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do you other '02 SCrew owners notice this?

I noticed my blower motor making what appeared to be an abnormal noise and wanted to know if other '02 owners had noticed the same in their vehicles. The noise, which sounds almost exactly like a CD player set on "pause", emanates from the blower underneath the dash on the pax side and it is a very faint repetitive "ticking" noise (no, not piston slap, I am positive it's the blower because it does this with the engine off). I can only hear it when the panel/AC/MAX AC switch is on and the blower speed is set at the lowest notch. Again, it is somewhat faint so it is only noticeable when cab noise it at a minimum. If you want to try to duplicate it, turn the key to run, turn the radio off, and turn the blower to the lowest setting...that is when I can hear mine faintly ticking. Again, it isn't necessarily annoying and the only reason I am asking here is because I don't really want to take it in just for this one thing, especially if it is supposed to make that noise. If it is abnormal, I guess I will just get it looked at at a regular service interval. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Mike

Last edited by DD-976; 09-01-2002 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-01-2002, 09:59 PM
Talking

Double D,

Are you aware of anyone being around your truck lately, and have you any reason to beleive your under survalance? Sounds like the F.B.I. planted a listening device in your truck behind the dash........Don't talk about anything in your truck.....remember the famous words of that old boston mobster.....never write when you can talk, never talk when you can nod and never nod if you can wink.

Old 09-01-2002, 10:06 PM
Smile Uh...yeah

Shhhhhhhhh! "They" will hear you. They scorned me and called me paranoid, but I know better...HA! I'm onto them!

Seriously, it sounds like a nitpicky little thing to notice, but my '97 never made this noise. It is just loud enough for you to think, "d@*n, what is that?" Yes, it is noticeable when driving...I only gave the parked duplication scenario for best effect.

-Mike

Old 09-01-2002, 10:22 PM
Nitpicky? its 10:20 here, do you know where I just was? outside in the driveway listening to my heater...I have a 2001 SuperCrew......sorry, no noise.....

Old 09-01-2002, 11:27 PM
My '01 Screw started making abnormal fan noises after the engine is shut off too. It's not a ticking sound, more like sick groaning noise. It happens after running the AC for awhile and shutting off the engine. The sick groaning lasts for about 20-30 seconds after the engine is shut off. I get the impression it is letting pressure out from somewhere, but am baffled by the cause.

This started after the truck was about a year old and had about 12K miles on it. I live in south Louisiana and run the AC constantly. It has become a fairly common occurence now. I still have almost 2 years to go on my warrany so I am just keeping an eye (or ear I should say) on the problem for now.

Old 09-02-2002, 02:01 PM
I noticed what sounded like a fan when I test drove my '02 SCrew. I asked the dealer about it and he said it was the fuel pump?? I didn't believe him but figured there was no point in continuing the conversation with him. It sounds like there is a fan behind the radio. I am very curious about this. I only notice it when the truck is not running, but the key is turned for the accessories to run. I also have the 20 second "fan" when I turn off my truck. I plan to change out the stereo and when I get the dash apart, I'm going to see if I can figure out where the noise is coming from......

Old 09-02-2002, 02:18 PM
my '01 s-crew had the in dash cd player replaced twice by ford because it would literally fry my cds and stop working. both of the replacement units had built in fans that would start up as soon as the ignition was turned on...is this what you guys are hearing?

interestingly enough...my '02 doesn't appear to have the fan...but it is also an in dash cassette with remote cd changer so maybe that is why...

Trending Topics

Old 09-02-2002, 02:22 PM
Yeah, my explorer has a fan in the radio (AM/FM/CD/Cass) that keeps it from overheating..that could be what your hearing.. the radio never burns out, but the display has twice.

Cya,
Matt

Last edited by matthew_l_smith; 09-02-2002 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-02-2002, 02:28 PM
I have the in-dash CD player and believe it is the radio fan that I have been hearing. Glad to hear it exists.....now I can wait a little longer before taking the dash apart.

Old 09-02-2002, 03:56 PM
DD976

I have an '01 SCrew and I believe I have the same noise. It's bugged me since I bought the truck almost a year ago.

The noise does sound like a CD skipping (ticking sound) and emanates somewhere near the dash, but I don't have an in-dash CD player (mine came with the 6 disc changer behind the rear seat), so I have no idea what is causing it.

In any case, I haven't been able to locate the source but it's also not enough to make me take it to the dealer. I'm sure I couldn't duplicate it once I got down there anyway.

Long story short, I'm living with it by just turning up the volume!!

Old 09-02-2002, 04:28 PM
guys,

the reason my '01 took a third cd unit was because the first replacement's fan started chirping and making untoward noises. the second replacement unit was fine...

troy

Old 09-02-2002, 04:32 PM
Account Suspended For 30 Days For Using Multiple Screen Names
My King Ranch made a ticking noise, Took it to the dealer they pulled it apart it was a piece if paper in the squirrell cage of the fan. Very minor and under warranty too.

Old 09-02-2002, 10:07 PM
Lightbulb Eureka!

Originally posted by Montinore
I have an '01 SCrew and I believe I have the same noise. It's bugged me since I bought the truck almost a year ago.

The noise does sound like a CD skipping (ticking sound) and emanates somewhere near the dash, but I don't have an in-dash CD player (mine came with the 6 disc changer behind the rear seat), so I have no idea what is causing it.

In any case, I haven't been able to locate the source but it's also not enough to make me take it to the dealer. I'm sure I couldn't duplicate it once I got down there anyway.

Long story short, I'm living with it by just turning up the volume!!
Well, at least someone has the same noise. I agree, it isn't the worst noise in the world (and it doesn't even do it all the time), but it is there nonetheless. I put my ear close to the blower motor on the passenger side (under the dash) and it is definitely the culprit (I have the 6-disc, too, but that is fine). I reached up into the dash and found a plastic intake grating (not mesh). After verifying that there wasn't anything stuck there, I wiggled the motor and the sound started and stopped. Soooo, I am thinking it is either a piece of debris stuck near the fan (like Bluelightning had) or a burr/defect near a rotating part. Either way, at least it's isolated now. I'll just have the dealership check it out sometime down the road. I appreciate the inputs from everyone.

-Mike

Old 09-03-2002, 07:29 AM
When I park mine (02 XLT) in the garage, shut off the ignition, remove the keys, and wait to turn off the headlights; I can hear the fan noise. Turn off the lights, and within a few seconds the noise stops, therefore I believe it is normal. I have verified this occurrence by repeating the sequence, and turning the lights back on & off & on & off & on & off & ... I wonder if those with autolamp experience the same fan noise.

Old 09-03-2002, 11:23 AM
DD-976,

Deja Vu....I had the same ticking annoying noise on my 01 SCrew and thought that there was something in the blower cage. I only heard the sound when the fan was on the low position...engine on or off. I started to take the blower assembly covers apart in the truck and then found that the noise was coming from the vent louver on the dash. There are 2 vents on the center of the dash...the one that was "rattling" was on the left of these 2. I pryed out the louver and installed a small rubber washer under the bottom hinge pin and eliminated the noise.

For the life of me...I really thought the noise was eminating from the blower.

Quick Reply: Do you other '02 SCrew owners notice this?