SuperCrew

rear end locked up!!! wheels won't move

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear end locked up!!! wheels won't move

what gives?

hey last knight when I was leaving my friends house , went to back out his drriveway and a loud CLuncKK ! sounded like u-joint or drive line or differential or something. . . it wouldn't even roll in neaural , I called the roadside assistance and man they were there like in 15 minutes on a SATURDAY night! anyway he had a tilt bed and had to drag! my truck up onto the recker! uuuugh! has anyone else had anything like this happen?

Oh sorry it is an f150 s-crew 2001 lariat 5.4 4x4 automatic 3.55 rearend. oh yea it was in 2wd when this happend and the front wheels did roll and did not appear to be effected?

as always any input is welcomed thanks . bummer

Old 08-25-2002, 10:53 PM
I assume a limited slip rearend but you didn't say...

Sound to me like somethings broken, luck with that one.

Do let use know

Old 08-26-2002, 04:11 PM
yea it is Limited slip 3.55 , now it is absolutly wont budge!
should here back from dealer today late I guess the transmission guy is gone! uuuugh

Old 08-26-2002, 06:26 PM
I threw the rear end out of my dad's old 83 F-150. When it went it did something like *clunk* *BANG* , the tires chirped and then it jsut kinda free wheeled. put it in 4 wheel drive and got it home. In 2wd it just reved. When they pulled the rear end apart the inside was all busted up. Damn teenager, I was spinning it out on ice. I think that's what caused it.

Yours could be the tranny too, but it doesn't sound too good. Hopefully it's not too major. As far as the front wheels still turning, they would unless you put it in 4x4. Then they might lock up. I too would like to hear what the verdict is.

Old 08-26-2002, 08:17 PM
Unhappy ford replaaacing my transmission

well Ford dealer just called me and they say transmission is shot !!! sending a new factory fresh transmission to be installed by the dealer with a new 36 month 36,000 mile warranty from date of install , I asked the service advisor what he knew and he said I can't say at this point but we are not going to speculate and hold things up. they will just replace with new. in a way I thought what great service! and another part of me said why in the hell did my tranny crap out so early only 24,000 miles on truck. oh well

when I asked about ford giving me a loaner , he said do to cut backs can't do that any more! but when I come in ask for the corprate rate and will get a steeply discounted rate on a rental car. not to bad all in all...

Old 08-26-2002, 10:44 PM
Skully: If you feel like fighting - the dealer is full of crap! If your truck is in the shop overnight, Ford will pay for a loaner. I suspect that your truck will be in for a week. Don't let your dealer short you by making YOU pay for the loaner.

Good luck!

Old 08-26-2002, 10:48 PM
T21
Question

Hey Skully,

Sorry to read of your troubles. Hopefully your new transmission will be error free.

I have to ask..... Did you have the tranny thunk (Clunk) syndrome before this happened??

Just wondering for the rest of us that haven't gotten very far with this issue.

Thanks and Good Luck

Tom

Trending Topics

Old 08-26-2002, 10:53 PM
I want to know if you noticed anything unusuall at all with your transmission before this happened. If my transmission was to die like that when I was out offroading, I would be *******ed!

So let us know, I am coming up on 22,000 and have had no problems with mine, as a matter of fact I rarely have the clunk noise, but I do get it from time to time.

Old 08-26-2002, 11:47 PM
Angry not much warning!

thanks kkirt1 ,viper grendal ,t21 and dcovell ,for the replies , not much warning on this at all !, I did just start to become aware of a light thunk or thud sound from somewhere under the truck I would assume gear lash ???, almost sounded like u-joint sound but mine are tight. My wife said the od off light was flashing so that may have been some kind of warning I am not sure? when I was driving I hadn't noticed the light flashing. and when I puled out of the driveway in revers there was a sound like loud klunk , metal sound and that was it! truck wouldn't move I guess the transmission must have something stuck in it prety bad to lock up the rear wheels? I guess that just means it is not actually going into neautral any more so transmission was problem not rear gears. I will try to give an update at the end of the week. thanks for the support

Old 08-27-2002, 12:28 AM
Actually the flashing overdrive light is reallllllly bad, the second you see that you should get to your dealer/mechanic and have it checked. I have heard of others on this board getting that light and serveral have had there transmission fail shortly after. So I guess if I ever see that flashing light, my next drive will be to the dealer.

Thanks for the info, hope you get your truck back soon, and look on the bright side of things, you get a new transmission with a new warrenty.

Old 08-29-2002, 11:18 PM
back on the road!

Well I got my truck back drive nice I was sure to try 4 hi and run through the gears and try th OD off and Overdrive and all seams very smooth , the paper work that for submitted read something like cust reports wheels wont move droped drive shaft and wheels spin freely , checked fluid level all fluids at proper level. ran computer code no abnormalities, droped transmission pan and found 9 OZ OF METAL IN PAN. To repair transmission would far excede replacement cost , recommended remodee is to exchange bad transmission for ford factory replacement. that is about it.

I got thinking one of the reasons the computer may not have had any information could be because I removed super chip before taking truck to the dealer as per instructions and disconnected battery to do so , so pehaps the code was lost when I did that? don't know just glad to have my baby back! I still love that truck!

Quick Reply: rear end locked up!!! wheels won't move