SuperCrew

Canadianization of a S'Crew

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Canadianization of a S'Crew

I just moved from Dallas Texas to Calgary Alberta; In order to register my S'Crew in Canada, it has to undergo some minor mods (Daytime Running Lights, french labels). One thing that is NOT required, but would save me a great number of speeding tickets would be to change out the speedo to a metric one. My dealer here tells me that they would change out the whole assembly ($500 + labo(u)r)!!! As nice as it would be to go metric, that's a bit more than I'm willing to pay.

1) Are there any aftermarket speedo faces that are Metric primary with or without MPH secondary? If so, how much work is it to install one?

2) Does anyone know how to flip the Odometer from miles to km? It'd be nice to have it all on the same, especially when the time comes to sell... It would appear that it shouldn't be a big deal as the OD is digital..

Thanks!

Old 08-22-2002, 08:24 PM

Last edited by MikeF150; 01-07-2005 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-22-2002, 10:01 PM
There where some Harley Davidson F150 Speedometers for sale on www.ebay.ca awhile ago. I considered it but wasn't wanting to pay too much so I thew in a few test bids but did not meet the reserve bid. If you really wanted to find out more i may be able to find the fellow that had them forsale. They where Canadian and in Km's as well as giving you white face guages.

Old 08-22-2002, 11:40 PM
French Labels ?

I don't have any on my S/D when did the Feds start this cause I've never heard of it before

There is a way to use the ododmeter I'll see if I can find it

Old 08-22-2002, 11:49 PM
A little bit long of a post but here's the layout of the Digital Odometer.

To enter the HEC Dealer test mode (AKA: Odometer Diagnostics), depress and hold the instrument cluster SELECT/RESET button, turn the ignition switch to the RUN position (and/or start the engine) and then continue pressing the SELECT/RESET button (about 5 seconds) until tESt is displayed in the odometer. The SELECT/RESET button must be released within 3 seconds of the odometer tESt display to begin the dealer test mode.
Depress the SELECT/RESET button to advance through the following steps until dtc is displayed. Depressing the SELECT/RESET button will display any stored continuous DTCs before proceeding to the next step.

Odometer Display Description
GAGE Activates gauge sweep of all gauges, then displays present gauge values. Also carries out the checksum tests on ROM and EE. If the gauge sweep is inoperative, INSTALL a new instrument cluster.
All segments illuminated Illuminates all odometer segments. If any odometer segment is inoperative INSTALL a new instrument cluster.

bulb Illuminates all micro-controlled indicators and LEDs. Install a new indicator or LED as necessary.

r Returns to normal operation of all micro-controlled indicators and LEDs and displays hexadecimal value for ROM level. If alternating flashes for FAIL and ROM level are displayed, INSTALL a new instrument cluster.

EE Displays the hexadecimal value for EE level If alternating flashes of FAIL and EE level are displayed replace instrument cluster.

dt Displays hexadecimal coding of final manufacturing test date

dtc Displays continuous DTC's in hexadecimal format. Pressing the SELECT/RESET button will display any DTCs stored before proceeding to the next step.

enG Displays the English speed in MPH. Speedometer will indicate present speed within tolerances. Display will show 0 if input in not received. If input is invalid for one second or more, or if speed is 0.

m Displays the metric speed data in kph. Speedometer will indicate present speed within tolerances. Display will show 0 if input in not received. If input is invalid for one second or more, or if speed is 0.

tAc Displays the tachometer data received from the PCM via the SCP network within tolerances. Tachometer will indicate present RPM. Display will show 0 if input is no received, if input received is invalid for one second or more, or if engine RPM is 0.

FUEL Displays the code (0-255) for the fuel sender input to the HEC. The fuel gauge will display a filtered fuel level value. This filter will keep the pointer from moving suddenly or erratically.
255 open send +/- 0
232 full stop +/- 0
215 Full mark +/- 10
178 3/4 mark +/- 8
138 1/2 mark +/- 7
93 1/4 mark +/- 5
41 E mark +/- 4
54 Low Fuel (0-59)
0-18 short (0-20 max)

OIL Displays the code (0-250) for the oil pressure switch input to the HEC. Oil pressure gauge will indicate present oil pressure. Normal oil pressure (greater than 6psi) will display a value between 000 and 176. A low oil pressure or an inoperative engine oil pressure switch (less than 6 psi.) will display a value greater than 176.

dEGC Display of engine temperature in Degrees C input from cylinder head temperature sensor.
49 C "C" mark
60 C Normal band start
120 C Normal band end
-40 C No SCP message for 5 seconds

bAtt Displays the code (0-255) for the battery voltage input to the HEC. Battery voltage gauge will indicate present battery voltage.
93-102 6.2-9.1 volts, low voltage
115-124 8.5-10.7 volts, Normal band start
215-225 15.8-18 volts, Norm band end
230-241 16.9-19.1 volts, high voltage

rhEo Displays the present decimal rheostat dimming input, 0-255

rhirhSrho ??????

Cr Displays the current RUN/START sense input. Display will show -h for high input with the ignition switch in the START position and -L for low input with the ignition switch in the RUN position.

PA-PE7 ???????

GAGE Repeats the display cycle

Old 08-29-2002, 09:00 AM
Here is an instrument cluster for sale in Kilometers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1854450669

Old 08-29-2002, 10:23 AM
Any junkyards in the vicinity...?

Trending Topics

Old 08-29-2002, 01:18 PM
Re: Canadianization of a S'Crew

Originally posted by bwestcott
I just moved from Dallas Texas to Calgary Alberta
I thought Canadian work and immigration laws do not allow non-Canadians to work in Canada. How'd you score that job?

Old 09-01-2002, 12:17 AM
Re: Re: Canadianization of a S'Crew

I really have no idea how Canadian immigration laws work.... Truth be known, I'm a Canadian returning back from the US... now ask me how the US laws work, and I could bore you to death with it.....

Originally posted by Lawgrrl

I thought Canadian work and immigration laws do not allow non-Canadians to work in Canada. How'd you score that job?

Old 09-01-2002, 12:23 AM
Damn... he wants 200 US for an opening bid! I'm not in the mood to go that high on this... I just want a new face plate I guess...

Originally posted by CanadianSCrew
Here is an instrument cluster for sale in Kilometers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1854450669

Old 09-03-2002, 03:26 PM
bwestcott....let me welcome you back to Calgary!

Great place to live for sure, Maybe give a company called "MR SPEEDOMETER" located in Calgary, they specialize in this kinda work and should be able to help out.

Give them a call @ 258-2909

Cheers.....I am Canadian!

2001 (But now own a 2002 FX4 Supercrew)

Old 09-03-2002, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the advice.... I'll give them a call this week and see what they can do for me.

Originally posted by 2001
bwestcott....let me welcome you back to Calgary!

Great place to live for sure, Maybe give a company called "MR SPEEDOMETER" located in Calgary, they specialize in this kinda work and should be able to help out.

Give them a call @ 258-2909

Cheers.....I am Canadian!

2001 (But now own a 2002 FX4 Supercrew)

Old 08-24-2005, 08:20 PM
What's the procedure to convert to mph on the odometer?

when you step thru the settings, can you set it to show the miles on the odometer in miles instead of kilometers, for good once you are out of the test mode?

I can get a face plate that replaces the kph one cheap, and apparently, the speedo needle doesn't change (so 80 kph is almost dead top center 12 oclock which is about 50 mph and the face plate has 50 mph on top)

Cheers

Dave

Originally Posted by kcsd250
A little bit long of a post but here's the layout of the Digital Odometer.

To enter the HEC Dealer test mode (AKA: Odometer Diagnostics), depress and hold the instrument cluster SELECT/RESET button, turn the ignition switch to the RUN position (and/or start the engine) and then continue pressing the SELECT/RESET button (about 5 seconds) until tESt is displayed in the odometer. The SELECT/RESET button must be released within 3 seconds of the odometer tESt display to begin the dealer test mode.
Depress the SELECT/RESET button to advance through the following steps until dtc is displayed. Depressing the SELECT/RESET button will display any stored continuous DTCs before proceeding to the next step.

Odometer Display Description
GAGE Activates gauge sweep of all gauges, then displays present gauge values. Also carries out the checksum tests on ROM and EE. If the gauge sweep is inoperative, INSTALL a new instrument cluster.
All segments illuminated Illuminates all odometer segments. If any odometer segment is inoperative INSTALL a new instrument cluster.

bulb Illuminates all micro-controlled indicators and LEDs. Install a new indicator or LED as necessary.

r Returns to normal operation of all micro-controlled indicators and LEDs and displays hexadecimal value for ROM level. If alternating flashes for FAIL and ROM level are displayed, INSTALL a new instrument cluster.

EE Displays the hexadecimal value for EE level If alternating flashes of FAIL and EE level are displayed replace instrument cluster.

dt Displays hexadecimal coding of final manufacturing test date

dtc Displays continuous DTC's in hexadecimal format. Pressing the SELECT/RESET button will display any DTCs stored before proceeding to the next step.

enG Displays the English speed in MPH. Speedometer will indicate present speed within tolerances. Display will show 0 if input in not received. If input is invalid for one second or more, or if speed is 0.

m Displays the metric speed data in kph. Speedometer will indicate present speed within tolerances. Display will show 0 if input in not received. If input is invalid for one second or more, or if speed is 0.

tAc Displays the tachometer data received from the PCM via the SCP network within tolerances. Tachometer will indicate present RPM. Display will show 0 if input is no received, if input received is invalid for one second or more, or if engine RPM is 0.

FUEL Displays the code (0-255) for the fuel sender input to the HEC. The fuel gauge will display a filtered fuel level value. This filter will keep the pointer from moving suddenly or erratically.
255 open send +/- 0
232 full stop +/- 0
215 Full mark +/- 10
178 3/4 mark +/- 8
138 1/2 mark +/- 7
93 1/4 mark +/- 5
41 E mark +/- 4
54 Low Fuel (0-59)
0-18 short (0-20 max)

OIL Displays the code (0-250) for the oil pressure switch input to the HEC. Oil pressure gauge will indicate present oil pressure. Normal oil pressure (greater than 6psi) will display a value between 000 and 176. A low oil pressure or an inoperative engine oil pressure switch (less than 6 psi.) will display a value greater than 176.

dEGC Display of engine temperature in Degrees C input from cylinder head temperature sensor.
49 C "C" mark
60 C Normal band start
120 C Normal band end
-40 C No SCP message for 5 seconds

bAtt Displays the code (0-255) for the battery voltage input to the HEC. Battery voltage gauge will indicate present battery voltage.
93-102 6.2-9.1 volts, low voltage
115-124 8.5-10.7 volts, Normal band start
215-225 15.8-18 volts, Norm band end
230-241 16.9-19.1 volts, high voltage

rhEo Displays the present decimal rheostat dimming input, 0-255

rhirhSrho ??????

Cr Displays the current RUN/START sense input. Display will show -h for high input with the ignition switch in the START position and -L for low input with the ignition switch in the RUN position.

PA-PE7 ???????

GAGE Repeats the display cycle

Old 09-19-2005, 04:31 PM
Got a face plate for 7$ on Ebay

I got a face plate on ebay, it came in the mail, its white face guages and everything lines up perfect, the speedo is accurate etc. My original cluster is in KPH, and this new one is in MPH, however, it doesn't do anything for the odometer, which if I installed the new face plate would imply I have 150,000 or so MILES on the truck when it really has 150,000 KM.

In dealer test mode, you can see it calculate the miles or kilometers, so the computer knows both values, it just defaults to displaying the KM. Anyone have a technical service manual that might tell me what I could do to force it to show Miles instead of KM? I'm hoping its a dip switch, or jumper, or something simple. A dealership told me they could replace the POD for about 300$ total, but I can't bring myself to do it for that much, has to be a way to tell the pod to behave like an american one, since the only difference is the electronic display on the odometer since the actual guage needles don't need to change any (80km/50mph is at the top on both displays etc.)

Anyone?

Dave

Originally Posted by cloaker
when you step thru the settings, can you set it to show the miles on the odometer in miles instead of kilometers, for good once you are out of the test mode?

I can get a face plate that replaces the kph one cheap, and apparently, the speedo needle doesn't change (so 80 kph is almost dead top center 12 oclock which is about 50 mph and the face plate has 50 mph on top)

Cheers

Dave

Old 09-19-2005, 04:38 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
You need to change the gas tank too, it only holds gallons.

Quick Reply: Canadianization of a S'Crew