SuperCrew

Power sliding window? comments SCREW ToBeOwner

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Power sliding window? comments SCREW ToBeOwner

anybody have the powersliding rear window?

Does the window slide side to side or up and down like a regular side window?

good experiences?

bad experiences?

thanks

Rolf

Old 08-19-2002, 02:34 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't have it (I wish I did) but know a few that do...

It slides just as the regular sliding window does (left to right)... not up and down (like everyone wishes it would).

I haven't heard anything but 'good' about it. I know, speaking from owning a SCREW experience, I can't reach my back window while sitting in the front seat (and I'm a pretty big guy-- about 6'2". I have to get out, go around to the back door, get partially in, and open the back window.

In short, I don't enjoy my back glass nearly as much as I'd like to be able to. The power rear glass should've been standard on ALL of the SCREWS in my opinion, if for no other reason than safety because, as I think anyone here will tell you, it's damn near impossible and definately not safe trying to unlatch and open that thing while you're driving.

Just my two cents but, I'd **DEFINATELY** get it if I had to do over... in fact, it's on my list of 'mods to do' if I ever get around to it.

RP

Old 08-19-2002, 03:25 PM
I put one in myself as the 2001's didn't have it as an option. I love mine. It makes it much easier to open the window.

Old 08-19-2002, 05:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I opted for the overhead power window... no need for even a slider in the back. The latch on the manual slider can easily be broken.......

Old 08-20-2002, 01:19 AM
Thumbs up

Had an auto glass shop put one in for me after I bought my '01. (In retrospect I could have done it myself and saved some $$$) It's one of the best mods I've done...use it all the time. If you're ordering a new Screw, get it! For those who want to get one installed, you can get 'em from C.R. Laurence.

Old 08-20-2002, 01:26 AM
FyrDawg2 (or anyone else)

How hard was it to install the power window? Is there a site that walks you through it like the fog light modification?(even I could do that) How much of the cost was the installation?

Thanks in advance

Old 08-20-2002, 08:01 AM
I have been test driving both the KR and Lariat editions of the SCrew. The KR has is, most Lariats do not. My suggestion: GET IT. Even if you have to have it installed at the time of purchase as an add on, have it done. You won't regret it. I haven't made a purchase yet, but I will pay extra to have this feature. I own a Sport Trac and love the feature on it. On the SPort Trac, the window goes up/down, on the SCrew, it goes side to side.

Marc

Trending Topics

Old 08-20-2002, 10:03 AM
If I had to do it over again, I'd get it done at the factory. It will be a cleaner install than the dealer does. However, it is very easy to install. The included instructions are very nice. Some of the nicest Ford instructions I have seen. It took me about an hour to do.

Old 08-20-2002, 10:37 AM
The power rear slider is a great compliment to the power moonroof, with both open you get a great breeze and not a whole lot of wind noise. I guess you could just pull over release your belt, get out of the front seat, jump in the back seat, open the manual slider, get out of the back seat, get back in the front seat fasten your belt, drive away....I opted for the power slider, had a glass company install the glass did the electrical myself...its way easier and I get places on time now...

Old 08-20-2002, 11:22 AM
Mom ordered her truck with it and absolutely loves it....so do I and I am jealous I don't have one....yet.

Old 08-20-2002, 11:41 AM
If you have the option, order it with the truck. It will have a much nicer factory look to it and cost wise should be about the same as aftermarket. The problem with the SCREW is that it is impossible for the driver to open the back window from the driver seat without removing the seatbelt. Not realy a good idea when driving. Now if you have kids or your wife (in the doghouse now) in the backseat then just order them to open and close it for you.

Old 08-20-2002, 11:50 AM
Thumbs up

I have the power slider installed from the factory in conjunction with the moonroof and I really like it (and everything else about my truck). As previously stated, with both open it creates a nice pathway for the air and prevents it from being intrusive. The button to open/close are the same as the pedal adjustment, and located just to the left. My truck is neither a lariat or a king ranch, just a plain'ol xlt.

The only problem I have experienced related to it thus far, is if I adjust the seat too far foward, I can inadvertantly depress the button with my left knee while shifting around in my seat (guess I'm not a shiftless as everbody keeps telling me). I am around 6'04'' so this may not be a problem for you.

I had read a post on another board wherein an owner was complaining about leaks with both the roof and the slider, but I have not experienced either (possibly a 2001/2002 issue).

Old 08-20-2002, 02:30 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's the link to the aftermarket item...

I believe that the same company makes the Ford Original Equipment as well...

--www.crlaurence.com/ProductPages/E/EPC990S_3136.html?CRL's+Newest+Products&Path=142;; New+Automotive+Products&Path=142::143;;CRL+Sliders +for+Late+Model+Trucks&Path=142::143::272;;CRL+199 7++Ford+F-150/F-250&Path=142::143::272::4926

I can't get the link to work using the vBcode thus, just copy and paste that link into your browser...

RP

Last edited by Rockpick; 08-20-2002 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-22-2002, 01:18 AM
I have the slider in my king ranch. I haven't had the truck but a couple of weeks, so the verdict is still out. I'm sure I'll like it better than a manual slider, but wonder why ford doesn't put a bigger sliding window in the truck. My wife has the 01 sport trac, and the power window covers 80% of the rear window, and slides all the way up/down.

Old 08-22-2002, 08:44 AM
It would take a major redesign and quite a bit of lost space back there to get one like the ST. My fiance has an ST as well, and I have to agree that it is much better, but I can't complain because I am already lacking on space in the cab. I don't think I could take anymore loss back behind the back wall. I get enough airflow with all four windows, the rear slider, and the moonroof open.

Quick Reply: Power sliding window? comments SCREW ToBeOwner