SuperCrew

Ordering 2003 SuperCrew please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordering 2003 SuperCrew please help

Hey guys Ive noticed when looking on fords website they have 2 4.6liter motors one that says (SuperCrew) beside it is there a difference between the one that comes in the regular F150s or what. Also would it be worth getting the Lariet instead of the XLT. Do you really get that much more stuff or is it stuff I can live without.

Thanks for any replys.

Shane

Old 08-12-2002, 07:47 PM
All my trucks since 1987 have been Lariats. I have two reasons for that. First reason is that I've noticed that "Fully Loaded" trucks are easier to sell on the used market. You may not get the price difference out of it, but if all things are equal, you'll sell your truck before the guy with the XLT will, even if you're asking more for your's.

The other reason I like the Lariat is because a lot of stuff that I would have ordered with the XLT comes standard with the Lariat and, in my opinion, it just looks better. Little things like color coordination and grill type seems to make the package just a bit more attractive to me.

If you're into adding cosmetic extras to your trucks, then the XLT might be a better buy for you.

Old 08-12-2002, 10:19 PM
i'm keen on luxury and therefore i'd always try to get the lariat or king ranch over the base model. if you do decide to go with the supercrew...definitely get the 5.4l engine. you can never have enough engine when pushing around something that weighs as much as the s-crew. plus the gas mileage penalty of the 5.4l is neglible compared to the 4.6l...imo.

Old 08-13-2002, 01:23 AM
I dont believe there is a difference between the 4.6 in the supercrew and those in other f150's (231hp/293lbft torque -v- 5.4 -260hp/350lbft).

I have an xlt, and the only major item I am beginning to miss is the leather (2 small kids), as the truck is only about a month old now and I can see already that the tan cloth is gonna be hard to keep clean. But I made an educated decision on what I felt was most desireable, and got the 5.4 with moon roof, power sliding rear window, and other misc. niceties for about $1000 less than a 4.6 lariat without any additional options. I have been looking on ebay and there is a constant auction for an aftermarket leather interior for mine at around $425.00 so I can always add the leather later on. Decide what is most important to you, drive both types and both engines and make an informed choice.

And as everyone will agree, no matter what your choice, you will end up with a great vehicle.

Old 08-13-2002, 08:17 AM
I think part of the XLT vs. Lariat decision should be driven by the answer to the question "What are you going to do with the truck?". Personally, I didn't feel like leather was a good choice for me with some of the activities I enjoy (I didn't want to worry about loading four wet, muddy duck hunters and an even wetter, muddier lab onto leather that I paid extra for), not to mention the fact that it will sear your thighs in summer if you are wearing shorts! Also, I felt like the leather would be more susceptible to showing surface scratches (from dog claws, etc) than the cloth would. However, like others have said, all other things being equal (mileage, general condition, etc) the Lariat will bring more when you get rid of it than the XLT will.

Old 08-13-2002, 09:04 AM
The Lariat gives you: Leather,rear view electrochromic mirror,visors lighted,climate control air cond,autolamp standard,power signal side mirrors,pin strip,power seat, and nice wheels.
Get the 5.4L engine, for you are pulling around alot of weight either it being a 4X2 or 4X4. 5.4L one of Wards ten best engine list.
I got the Lariat because of the extra stuff but could of lived without the Leather.

Old 08-13-2002, 02:01 PM
Smile

Thanks for the input. I too was ordering a 2003 SCrew. I decided that since I was just gonna be haulin my car trailer to go ahead and get the Lariat with the 5.4L. Also, I liked the way the FX4 sat up higher and I wanted 4WD so I got that option. I'm good friends with the sales manager so I got a good deal. I didn't see any real need for the $400 captain chairs and power slider (no manual slider for 2003) rear window, or the moonroof, but I figured since I keep my truck pretty clean, that the Lariat would help out resale value. Four weeks and she'll be in.

Matt

Trending Topics

Old 08-13-2002, 05:23 PM
I own a 2002 Supercrew Lariat.

The options can be compared at www.kbb.com . Build the two and print out your own report to compare.

If you are looking for leather seats be aware that on places like Ebay vendors do sell direct fit factory covers to replace the cloth.

I would have loved a heavy knitted vinyl with my kids in mind but it's either cloth or leather. My concern was constant spills staining the cloth. I have had a few and have been able to clean them off the leather seats.

An option on the Lariat I like is the AC/Heater computer control. Set the temp and mode and leave it alone..controls the fan speed to meet the temp requirements.

Old 08-13-2002, 09:30 PM
Thanks

Hey guys thanks for all your replys, I was wondering on how much difference is the gas mileage on the 4.6 to the 5.4. Ive ordered my truck today but have 3 days to change stuff on it if I want.

2003 SuperCrew
Dark Shadow Grey exterior
Dark Graphite interior
4.6 liter
Power Moonroof
Chrome Step bars
bed extender
3.55 Limited slip diff
17" chrome rims

Plus all that comes standard: Total of $29350.00

Seems to me after putting a Superchip and K&N intake kit. It should have plenty of power.

I know 800.00 more for the 5.4 liter ( IS IT REALLY WORTH IT )may not seem like much now after spending that much on a truck, but it is. Because I still have to get my bed cover and all. Thanks again for you replys.

Old 08-14-2002, 01:39 AM
I'd go with the 5.4L engine. The SuperCrew is one of the heaviest trucks around. It makes sense to go with the larger engine. You'll take about a 1 to 2 mpg hit in mileage.

Old 08-14-2002, 06:19 AM
Talking

Go with the 5.4-you'll be happy you did!

Old 08-14-2002, 10:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As others have said on this board before... "I have yet to see someone who got the 5.4L say they were sorry they did".......

Old 08-14-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by jryager
As others have said on this board before... "I have yet to see someone who got the 5.4L say they were sorry they did".......
Not true. I sometimes wish I had a 4 cylinder engine... It's kinda embarrassing when the wheels squeal when you don't want them to, like the driveway in front of the church.

Old 08-16-2002, 08:13 AM
Change your list!

5.4L engine=$680.00 Worth every penny
Skid Plates = $136.00 Can't beat the price
Trailer tow Group= $298.00 Worth every penny
Leave off the Chrome side steps they are cheap and will rust. Get some Westin's CPS instead.
If you leave off the side steps, you can put the money($350) toward the 5.4L engine! Buy some Westin's side steps down the road.

Old 08-16-2002, 01:27 PM
Another thing with the 5.4 vs. 4.6 is the rearend gears . The 4.6 is 8.8 inches and the 5.4 has the heavy duty 9.75 inch gears . Why would you want to spend about the same money on mods when you could just pay it up front get the performance stock ?

Good Luck on your new truck.

Quick Reply: Ordering 2003 SuperCrew please help