SuperCrew

Is a K&N Air Filter Worth Buying

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2002, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is a K&N Air Filter Worth Buying

i have been reading about the kand n air filters...are they worth the money and has anyone seen changes with using them...or has anyone devleoped problems using it...my truck is brand new and i have heard of warning codes and check engine lights coming on after installing the new filter...any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 08-10-2002, 11:06 AM
Bama,

I have one and didn't really notice any improvement..but maybe I didn't pay close enough attention......A quick search using K&N* OIL* turned up this page....check out some of these posts...good luck..

Ed

https://www.f150online.com/forums/se...der=descending

Last edited by S'CrewLoose; 08-10-2002 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-10-2002, 01:25 PM
I feel that they are worth it, in my opinion and they opinion of many others the best performance gain for the money. Now if you will see an increase in gas mileage, maybe not. I have not seen much in that field. As far as an increase in performance, in my old truck I definatly saw it, in my new truck, I put the air filter and a catback on at the same time. Yes I noticed the diffrence!!!

You will mainly see the increased performance gain at WOT (wide open throttle) this is where another air filter becomes restrictive. So when you step on it, the engin can breath easier. Just putsin around town you may not notice that much of a diffrence. But still its worth the money. I have the FIPK but if your on a budget then just get the drop in filter replacement.

Old 08-10-2002, 02:58 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would suggest getting a FIPK of one type or another.
Right now I have a K&N brand FIPK, but as always do your homework, if it is in budget.

If 200.00 is not in your budget, if you get the drop in be careful, there have been several people that say to watch out with the fit of the K&N drop in filter, as it is slightly smaller then stock.

You can also look at the other brands, but I have not seen much here on them, nor have I, myself, ran into a person using another brand of reusable high flow filter for a drop in. But that is jsut me, and I did not do a whole lot of research on the drop in replacements.

I think the ones that reported the smaller then stock fit used a foam strip around the housing, or grease of some type ?

As suggested above, take a look over the listings, and see what people say about them, that have done the full research on them.

If the FIPk can be in your budget, you would be better of looking at them, but that is your call.

Good luck.

Old 08-10-2002, 10:05 PM
I have had them all and the best value FIPK without a doubt is the MAF. Here are some pics. I purchased mine for $135 directly from the factory. You can not beat this FIPK.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=1494

Old 08-10-2002, 10:59 PM
You'll feel a little seatothepants HP at wide open throttle with just the filter. You may lose a little mpg because the computer will adjust the fuel rate to the increase in air flow.
The engine light may go on because of over-oiling and subsequent contamination of the two wire filaments in the MAF. I've cleaned and oiled my filter a couple of times, but I applied the oil very sparingly. I have not had any occurrences of the engine light coming on.

Old 08-11-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by F150aGoGo
I have had them all and the best value FIPK without a doubt is the MAF. Here are some pics. I purchased mine for $135 directly from the factory. You can not beat this FIPK.

Webiste, telephone #?????? thats pretty and the price is great.

Thanks

Trending Topics

Old 08-11-2002, 09:44 PM
yes -

then cut off the end of the can to expose the whole filter to the air stream

Old 08-12-2002, 10:43 AM
Guys,

I have the MAC FIPK/CAI and it looks exactly like F150agogo's. I am not sure why he is calling it a MAF (Mass Air Flow?). It is called a FIPK or a CAI (Cold Air Induction) I think. So ask for the MAC CAI if you call.

1-877-poorboys is where you can get one.
You can also go directly to MAC at 1-800-367-4486 I got mine from here foe 139.50 including shipping. It took about 2 weeks to get. I think poor boys may have them in stock.

and no..I don't work for either.

Will

Just my opinion

Old 08-12-2002, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by willderness
[BI am not sure why he is calling it a MAF (Mass Air Flow?). It is called a FIPK or a CAI (Cold Air Induction) I think. So ask for the MAC CAI if you call.[/B]
I took it to be a MAC ( notice how close the F key is to the C key ? ).

I read between the typos, as my typing can be just as bad at times, or worse

Old 08-12-2002, 06:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reports I read indicated that there was little HP gain and the K&N let considerably more dirt/dust into the engine...

Old 08-12-2002, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by jryager
Reports I read indicated that there was little HP gain and the K&N let considerably more dirt/dust into the engine...
Do you have a link to those reports. I have never seen a report where it lets in more dirt.

Thanks

Old 08-13-2002, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by jryager
I'd be real interested in seeing those reports too.

Thanks !!!

Old 08-13-2002, 08:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I searched the web with Google, just looking for information.... I was surprised to find that more than one report said the stock filter was much better at filter and the K&N let a significantly greater amount of dirt/dust through. Can't remember if the same or a different report indicated that there was not necessarily a horsepower increase and you will not the advertisements and packaging do not "guarantee" any increase in HP. I'll look later for the reports...

Old 08-13-2002, 10:36 AM

jryager,

Thanks.

If you can recall the key words that you used in google, I can do the sifting myself. I did not know if you had the URL straight away.

As for no guarantee of HP increase, I don't know of any aftermarket equipment that will do that.

Gibson, K&N AF1, MAC none of them will guarantee a increase in HP. I don't think ( would have to look again, to be 100% sure ) that SuperChip has a guarantee of an increase in HP.
That is why they all use the wording of "upto" in the HP increase claims. Upto includes 0 to what ever the number is. Like the way they keep themselves out of court ?

You could make a aftermarket part that costs $69.99 for a import car, make it look cool, and make claims of upto what ever and sell the crap out of it on eBay. Ever seen some of the stuff that sells over there. Electric 1PSI superchargers...what a joke it is a small leaf blower that is made to kill your battery But I digress....

Last edited by SSCULLY; 08-13-2002 at 10:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Is a K&N Air Filter Worth Buying