SuperCrew

When you were buying, did they ask about color first?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you were buying, did they ask about color first?

I am curious about this one since I bought my Screw in May. Whenever I called or visited a dealership, the first question they asked was what color did I want. Now is that a thing they do with women or do they do that with the guys as well?

BTW, my answer to the color question was I wanted a 5.4 litre 4 X 2 with captains chairs. Usually that answer got their attention.

Old 07-26-2002, 06:46 PM
Must be a girl thing

First thing they always ask me is how much I can afford.

Old 07-26-2002, 08:36 PM
Smile Guy didn't know what hit him

I pretty much told them they had what I wanted, went in did a test drive and signed that night. Screws are a little thin by me so you found your options and prayed for the best

Old 07-26-2002, 08:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Walked in and told them to order it

I went in, the sales rep said can I help you ? I told him I wanted a Silver SCrew, 5.4...yadda yadda yadda, no financing.

He looked at me and said lets get to the computer, put it together, and that was it. I showed him the Ford direct price, and the "invoice" pricing, he walked away came back within 30 sec, and said yes we can order it for "inovice" cost, just got the ok from the truck sale mgr, he also looked up the incentives and gave me the 500.00 off of the invoice number that they had going at the time, and said if he could find something better by time the truck got on the lot he'd adjust it at that point. Nothing else was better at the time, this was FEB-01, unlike now-a-days.

Put down 500.00 and waited what seemed like forever, but it was only 6 or 8 weeks.

He called and left me VM when he got the vin number, and once every 2 weeks with status on it ( it is on the engine line, etc.. ).

I will say this was at the second dealer, the first one, I told him I wanted to order a SCrew ( rattled off the list ) and he started in with the "What are you trying to acomplish" routine. I told him I was trying to buy a truck, why else would I be at a dealer asking to order a truck, is this the short cut to getting a Nobel Peace prize ?

He looked at me like I just $h!t on his shoes, I told him he just blew a sale, I'm going to the other dealer and order it tonight. He chased me across the lot, I got in my truck while he was still talking, I waved bye ( yes with all 5 fingers, not just one ) and left. I guess it would have been a real kicker had I gone back the next day witht he paper work in my hand, but I was not about to spend the 50 cents in gas to show him.

I guess if I went in trying to find something in inventory, it might have been different, I have not done that in the past 11 years, and I am very happy with it. The can I help you question is as of late answer with this is what I want to order, and it changes the tone maybe.

Old 07-27-2002, 04:23 PM
I walked in to the dealer told them I was just looking around (aka drooling) and once I test drove one I though for a while. Came back about a week or 2 later and said ok I want white, 5.4 XLT, power everything, sliding rear window, 4x4, and so on a so forth.

Basically if you don't say anything to them on what you want, they will start narrowing it down and I belive color and trim is the first thing, then 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive, engine size, and then down to little things like how much money ya got.

Old 07-27-2002, 04:35 PM
Colour

I would guess that they asked you what color you were looking for because that is the most obvious.. I mean ... A 5.4L scew looks like a 4.6L screw. A 4X2 looks like a lot like a 4x4 except it sits shorter and has different wheels. I guess for me it will be easier to look at the same colors. I cannot look at a white screw equipped exactly the way I want and have a good understanding what it will look like in blue. It would be easier to look at a blue one with 80% of the equipment I want and know what it will look like.

Does this make sense???

Old 07-28-2002, 04:56 PM
Zyg
I configured my truck on the internet, printed it out and faxed it to my local dealer, gave him CC number over phone for a $200 deposit and picked it up 3 weeks later.

Trending Topics

Old 07-28-2002, 05:07 PM
Talking Buying experience

When I bought my truck I first went to look after a half day fishing in the gulf (it rained) ---- so I was in grubby shorts and an old t-shirt.

I told the guy what I wanted (read the description below -- before mods) and he said just a minute... went away and came back in about 2 minutes and told me the following.

Sir .... ahem ......the truck you want costs nearly 30 thousand dollars (which was about 6K more than I paid for the one i bought)

I said...... straight faced..... "WOW..... $30,000.... i stood Up and headed toward the door.....mumbling to myself (loud enough for him to hear) 30,0000 hmmmm......

he followed me out to my 97 Dodge Ram truck as I kept repeating $30,000 when I had the door open. I laid into him.

You know you should never presume who you are dealing with by their appearance. I have in my pocket my money market check book and was ready to buy it......... CASH .........TODAY .......if you were in the right ballpark price wise and showed some repect....

he was still talking as I drove away.....

I chuckle when I think of it....

Old 07-29-2002, 07:57 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs down

Any salesman that makes their first question, "What color...?" is either an idiot or has been poorly trained if advised to use that tactic.

Rule One:
The more truck the customer buys the more commission the salesman makes.

Rule Two:
All paint costs the same, all two-tone schemes cost the same.

Rule Three:
Top of the Line Trucks (most commission) come in limited colors.

Salesman: "Hello Sir, what color you want?"

Customer: :"Yeah, lets get that out of the way, uh ok, Teal it's got to be Teal, don't trick me and don't show me nothing but Teal"

Salesman: ((Well, shoot! This guy ain't gonna get a Lightning, a Harley Davidson, a King Ranch, a Lariat, or a Blackwood. Guess I'l herd him over to the XL row.))

Old 08-01-2002, 06:10 PM
I had a Supercab prior, and was screwing around on the internet one day and built one on line then submitted it to my local dealer. Never thought anything would come of it, but they called me that very night and asked me how quickly I wanted to do this. So I figured I would go down the next day and see what kinda crap they were going to try and feed me, so I told him I would come out after work. Before I came down, they actually called me at work, asked me what color I wanted. They checked the lot, called back and said he had it. So I drove my little 4.2 XL over the dealership, they had a black SScrew sitting out, cleaned and everything. Soon as I saw it, I was in love, then test drove it, we were married soon after. I said bye to my Supercab, love ya but ya been replaced, and away I went. By far the easiest and best experience I have ever had purchasing a vehicle.

Old 08-03-2002, 04:44 PM
Thats odd, what color? The first thing they all ask is, "Do you have a trade in"? Most are more worried about your trade in then the new vehicle. This is where most people get screwed. They offer a lot for your trade, more than it is really worth and then Screw people on the new vehicle price. God, I love the internet makes car buying painless.

Old 08-03-2002, 05:25 PM
Wink

the salesman at dealerships are hungry...i like the web info and use it to find the right dealership...when they ask what color their looking for a quick impulsive buyer...although when they asked what color harley screw...i said it had to be shadow gray...
im with MADD...the internet is very helpful...so is this website..

Old 08-03-2002, 06:37 PM
It was more of a gender than sales question

I understand that the internet has changed the balance of power with regard to vehicle sales.

I guess what I wanted to find out with the question in this thread was whether color is the first question that they ask women because they think we are only interested in or care about appearance. I suspect that sales personnel think women prefer looks over function so color is the biggest concern for us. From these answers, it appears to me that dealers are not asking men about color right off the bat. I guess I will have to ask Jenn, Cowlady and the other ladies to see if their experiences were the same as mine.

Old 08-03-2002, 07:54 PM
When I bought my 02' hd I walked in, the salesman asked "can I help you" I said yep I want a Harley Davidson Super crew. He said "are you serious?" I sad "yep I just came from another dealer and They got three, what can you do" And he asked what color do you want.(I was standing next to the only HD they had on the lot) So I said this will do! We did the numbers and here I am the proud owner of a new HD. The only thing that I noticed was the guy asked if I was serious.(I'm a little young for buying a truck with a sticker of 40g's)

Old 08-04-2002, 12:29 AM
In the hotter climates, white is a valuable asset.

I bought mine from my brother, and I found it at another dealership by browsing through dealer stock. I really think the internet allowed me to get a much nicer truck than I might have without it. In my instance by searching the dealer stock I located one in the color I liked (white), with the motor I wanted. Additionally, by checking the stickers online, I found mine had an option package discount "color & chrome w/moonroof" of $750 which allowed me to get the moonroof for $50.00. Of course, since my brother works at a Blue Oval certified dealer, I also got to buy at A-plan pricing which was quite pleasing.

1st post, I think I like this board.

Quick Reply: When you were buying, did they ask about color first?