SuperCrew

I hate the seats, love the truck, what can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate the seats, love the truck, what can I do?

I really love the SuperCrew, it's perfect for my camping family. So, with the factory incentives back I decided to go for it. I took three test drives, I also drove my brother-in-law's F-150 SuperCab... I can say that I HATE the seats. Those side bolsters on the seat bottom wedge me in like a sardine. What's the use of a big interior if the seat makes you feel like you're driving a go cart (yeah, I'm exaggerating)? But truthfully, it feels smaller than the bucket in my Tacoma.

Obviously I'm in a minority. But, what can I do? New seats? we're talking somewhere around $700. Anyone out there done that? Reupholster? Has anyone out there ever done that?

Give me some hope.

Old 07-25-2002, 05:45 PM
Seats

Are you tallking about the front bench seats? I notice what you described when i test drove a bench seat Lariat Screw. But it was mainly on the left leg ... if I remember correctly. But I found that the bucket seats (captain chairs) do not have the problem as you described. In fact i have seen some posts that it does not have enough support.

I believe Ford made the change to the bench seat bottoms because of problems with the earlier models wearing out on the side closest to the door. Could be wrong.

Last edited by screwfun; 07-25-2002 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-25-2002, 07:48 PM
Talking

I must have a skinny a$$ 'cause my seat feels pretty comfortable! I actually like the way it wraps around me.

However, I could see if I were more "stout" (I'm definitely a skinny fella), the seats would be a little confining.

Old 07-25-2002, 11:04 PM
I'm a big guy (6'4" 270 lbs) and I have the front bench seat GEN III with the big bolsters on the driver seat. When I first got the truck my back hurt for like 3 weeks. Also my legs would go numb sometimes. But now that I have broke the seat in and adjusted it properly (6 way power seat) it work fine for me and I have no complaints.

I will say it is not the most comfortable seat by a long shot. Next time I will get the captian chairs and maybe even the king ranch version.

The one thing I though would get worn out would be the boster on the left side of the driver seat from getting in and out. But it's been almost a year and I drive the truck everyday and there are no signs of wear anywhere on the seat.

Old 07-26-2002, 10:19 AM
Yes, this was the "bench" seat. I put bench in quotes because to me it is a narrow bucket snugged up against a big cushion, not a bench. I'll go try the captain's chairs this weekend. And dcovell, I know what you mean about the legs going numb. I drove my brother-in-law's for about an hour and my legs did go numb from them sitting on top of that bolster's top ridge. The only way I could avoid it was by putting my legs together so they were touching and keeping them that way, not a way I prefer to drive.

I say I'm obviously in the minority about this for two reasons. One, the F-150 is so popular and two, I'm not a big guy, 5' 9" and 190 lbs.

Old 07-26-2002, 01:22 PM
I had the "leg's going to sleep" problem too (I've got some long ones) but found that if I set the seat hieght lower and sat a little closer to the front it quit happening. I'm quite comfortable on long rides now. I have a 2001 with bench seats and I'm 6'4" 210#s.

Cheleri

Old 07-26-2002, 01:35 PM
Production dates march 2002 and later have a new design seat that looks the same at first glance, but the sides are much much lower.

Trending Topics

Old 07-30-2002, 10:17 AM
Thanks to Jefflaws I just bought one...

Jefflaws, thanks for the tip about the seats. Went looking one last time last night. Checked the date on the door pillar and the seat did feel much better. Just to make sure it wasn't my imagination, I sat in a 2001 used SuperCrew on the lot. It had the seats I can't sit in. So, I bought one last night. 5.4L and dark red. Sales guy quoted me MSRP, I came back with invoice based on Edmunds.com info. We settled on invoice + $500. I pick it up this afternoon.

Old 07-30-2002, 11:12 PM
Wes
Account Suspended For Cross-Posting Unrelated Classified Ad
Sounds like you didnt get a very good deal, especially since there is a $1000 rebate, you should have gotten it for about $1500 under invoice, you paid about $2000 too much.

Wes

Old 07-31-2002, 11:04 AM
Wes, that was the price before the rebate, which is $1500 not $1000.

Old 07-31-2002, 11:20 AM
Wes
Then it should have been $1500 under invoice. OR LESS (got my last one at $5500 under invoice) MAXWELL FORD, AUSTIN TEXAS!

Old 08-01-2002, 10:15 AM
Wow Wes, I guess you're the alpha male...

For what it's worth, the dealer sold me a truck at $500 over invoice. Any number of consumer guides to buying new vehicles will tell you that is a reasonable profit for the buyer to bargain for if you're buying a popular model. But since Ford wants to sell more trucks they subsidized my purchase so that I paid $1000 below invoice for a very popular truck. I think that is a great price. I'm happy, the dealer's happy, and your chest beating doesn't mean a thing to me.

Old 08-01-2002, 06:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wes, prices like that are possible only in a few situations, demos, large rebates, purchases a the end of a model year, and other special situations.

I notice you did not give much detail to your purchase. Just so you know, I bought my Screw at $7000+ under invoice... and the Windstar before that at $4000+ under invoice... and neither deal included rebates, or were demos or were end of model year purchases....

KentC, you did fine, better than most buyers... enjoy your ride.

Old 08-01-2002, 10:03 PM
Wes
$5500 under invoice with NO rebates its 2002 a 4x4 (FX4) supercrew lariat. Nice Popular truck

<------CHEST BEATING------->

Old 08-02-2002, 06:57 PM
10-4 on the bad seats Ken. My manuf date was 1/02. For those of you who have this problem, here is what I did...
I got a piece of high quality foam rubber (1.5" thick) and cut it to fit the contour of the seat base. Then picked up some fabric and covered it. The whole deal cost me about 16 bucks (and about 3.5 hrs). You can make a very precise cut (with the angle and all)on the foam rubber using an electric knife. It makes the seat very comfortable. It may create a problem if you're really tall, your head may get alittle close to the top, but it works fine for me. (I'm 6'1"). Wes, are you talking below invoice or below sticker?

Last edited by dale29; 08-02-2002 at 06:59 PM.

Quick Reply: I hate the seats, love the truck, what can I do?