SuperCrew

Buying Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buying Advice

Hi Guys and Gals,

Been a lurker here for several months prepping for a screw purchase and have learned quite a bit.

Here’s the deal, When I finally got settled down on what I wanted, this is what I came up with:

Lariat 4x4
Monotone shadow grey
FX4
limited slip
moonroof
tow package
front captains chairs
bed extender

Thought I found one locally, it had the changer and a slider rear window which I didn’t want but as it turned out the truck is waiting for another dealer to pick it up. (Still parked out front, go figure.)

He searched and found closer to what I wanted, single disk, rear slider and cab steps. Can you belive the only one in the system.

$32.368 Not bad price.

He called tonight and found out the truck is a demo with 6200 miles on it. I told him that I would consider it but thought the price should reflect the use of the truck. He agreed and was going to try to come up with a number.

He also expressed his concern about getting it and then me not buying it because of condition (looking for some commitment)

The truck is within an hours drive and I asked about going to look at it. He wasn’t wild about that. I guess the risk is me buying from the other guy although that’s not my plan.

SOO What do you think.

Or am I better off just waiting for a 2003 or what precautions before proceeding with this one.

D*** I wished this could have been easy

Les Hatton
Beaumont, Tx

Old 07-23-2002, 02:00 AM
Lightbulb

i got my first screw 2001 for 31800.00 it only had 4miles...it had everthing...except rear slider and 6 disc changer...this year you should be getting 1500.00 back...so it should be closer to 30000.00....go for invoice...you can get it from...www.carsdirect.com...or www.autobytel.com..good luck...im going on my second screw...great vehicle

Old 07-23-2002, 10:23 AM
keeper15 is right.... go for invoice. Personally, I like new vehicles. I got my FX4 for invoice, and it wasn't tough. It was just a matter of walking in and telling the dealership what I wanted in the truck and what I wanted to pay - and I backed it up with stuff I printed off the internet. When they saw I researched everything they didn't argue, they just said they could do it or they couldn't. The second place I went to was the place I ended up buying it from. 7 weeks later I had my FX4 for invoice only.

Old 07-23-2002, 10:52 AM
Well I know I'm about 800 over invoice by carsdirects figure.

My bigger concern is what kind of value do i fugure for the demo?

The dealer tryed to but me in a two tone with the crome steps for the same money, making an invoice deal on that one, but I really prefer the monotone and from what he can see this demo is the only one speced like I want in the system.

I've kinda figured 29000 would be ok for the demo????

Order the 2003????

When does the line start and the deliveries begin??

TIA

Les

Old 07-23-2002, 12:57 PM
The problem with demos, in my opinion, is that someone has probably already run the dog **** out of them. (Or maybe not, you just don't know.) If you can afford the new one, go for it. You may have seen threads on this site discussing "generation 2, generation 3," etc. Ford, like most good manufacturers, is constantly altering its product, sometimes very slightly, to better it as little problems present themselves. You can bet that the 2003, which I believe is basically going to be like the '02's, will have some, if not most, of the "bugs" addressed. For example, my '02 Screw came with the following bugs addressed:
- Apparently the stereos were overheating in the earlier model Screws - mine came with an automatic fan inside the dash to cool the stereo.
- Apparently the rear window seals were not tight on earlier models, which led to leaks and the seal looking uneven from the outside - mine came with a new style seal that looks a ton better and does not leak.
- Apparently there was an issue with some part of the drivetrain - my Screw was held up one week while Ford did some kind of retro-fit or something...
I won't bore you again, but why wonder about those 6200 miles?
Youv'e heard the old saying, "If you can't aFord it, Dodge it." Well I would never go that far, but if you can afford the new one, order it the way you want it, wait for it, and enjoy. Screws are AWESOME!

Old 07-23-2002, 01:27 PM
Offer them invoice price for the SCREW minus 15 cents a mile (depreciation) for the 6200 miles currently on it. That is the amount Ford charges on its Red Carpet Leases for each extra mile a customer put on over the lease mileage limit. They claim that is a fair assessment of depreciation. Also insist on a full 3 year 36,000 mile warranty over and above the current 6200 miles.

I have bought two Screws from my Dealer. My 1st one was a 2001 factory order and paid straight invoice. My second is a 2003 Screw which is on order and due to arrive in September. I also paid straight up invoice. Believe me they MAKE MONEY selling at invoice.

In your current situation they are technically selling you a used truck. They should be more than happy to sell you this vehicle for the offer I described. The longer it sits in their lot, it is costing them money!!! Give them a take it or leave it offer. BS them if you want and tell them you found another Dealer who will sell you a 2003 factory order for invoice; but that you are giving them an opportunity to meet your offer because you would rather not wait ten weeks for a new truck.

If you let your desire to have this particular truck for what they want; then you are only SCrewing yourself (so to speak)!!! Remember they are in this business to get the most profit possible for the dealership; but they also don't want to sit on this truck. Its reallly all about turning inventory over and cash flow for them!!!

Good Luck

Mike

Last edited by Mtnmike; 07-23-2002 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-23-2002, 05:17 PM
Depreciation costs/mile

Mtnman,

The 15 cents per mile is for vehicles that LIST under $30K. For vehicles LISTING over $30K, it's 20 cents per mile. I know because the bed extender (which I didn't really want) pushed my 2001 SC leaser over $30K by $168! (Z-plan ended up something like $25.6k I think).

So the mileage depreciation should be $1240 ($6200 x .20). Go ahead and offer $29K and take any rebates.

Trending Topics

Old 07-24-2002, 11:51 PM
Just a follow up guys.

The truck had 3600 miles and I got it at invoice -$300.

I know there are better deals but I'm pleased and have a nice looking screw in the driveway.

Les

Old 07-24-2002, 11:53 PM
Kicked myself for not thanking you for the posts.

Thanks.

Les

Old 07-25-2002, 02:20 AM
Good JOB!!! Enjoy your new truck.

Mike

Old 07-25-2002, 03:21 AM
Smile

great buy ihatton ,you did good....its going to be a great partner...let the mods begin...enjoy...welcome to the forum...lots of good advice and technical stuff...

Old 07-26-2002, 12:42 PM
Smile

Congratulations on the purchase.

You are going to luv the truck, but hate what it does to your wallet with all the aftermarket mods

Keep us posted on your new baby's progress.

Cheleri

Old 07-26-2002, 04:45 PM
Wes
Account Suspended For Cross-Posting Unrelated Classified Ad
I got my new screw for $5500 UNDER invoice... they have 2500 in dealer cash (that they wont tell you about) right now!

MSRP: $38,511
Invoice: $34,922
I paid: $29,422

Wesley

Quick Reply: Buying Advice