SuperCrew

Tailgate cables

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2001, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tailgate cables

My tailgate cables are two slightly different lengths. This may not seem like a big deal. In reality it puts undo stress on the one that's doing all the work and my tailgate extender in a bind.

Not knowing which one was correct, I had my Ford parts guy order both. When they come in we will put the correct combination on and have Ford warranty the old one. Sounds like a plan, doesn't it?

Old 10-18-2001, 06:14 PM
I've noticed the same with the tailgate straps. I also had this issue with my 98 Ranger. I asked the dealer to look into it. Their response was, 'we never noticed it before, but all of them (the trucks) on the lot are like that.'
After three years of heavy tailgate use there were no problems. I hope my new Screw holds up as good as the Ranger.

Old 10-18-2001, 06:37 PM
Speaking of Tailgates...

When I lower mine, you can see a stubby post projecting from the bed about 1/2 over from the right, and on the tailgate is a receptacle that the stub fits in when the gate is down... but nothing touches or even comes close. What is this for?

Old 10-19-2001, 12:32 AM
Question

Kinda wondered that myself. It looks like it would possibly keep the gate from bouncing if a cable was loose or something???? But how would that happen. I have no idea what that is for, anyone know? I'm curious as well.

Old 10-19-2001, 02:08 PM
I believe the stub is for lowering the spare tire. Look at the manual. And my cables are uneven as well. No biggie as far as I'm concerned, there not off by much.

Old 10-19-2001, 02:32 PM
I remember reading somewhere that the little post was to prevent the tailgate from swinging down and hitting the bumper by accident when the side cables were not attached for one reason or another.

Quick Reply: Tailgate cables