Finally got pics of my new 2002 Fx4

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2001, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally got pics of my new 2002 Fx4

Just one of the manyy

Old 10-11-2001, 06:46 PM
Wow that FX4 sticker or whatever it is really sticks out!

Old 10-11-2001, 06:53 PM
how come the rear of the truck looks like it has a lift

Old 10-11-2001, 07:06 PM
It does say Fx4.
It is totally stock. The Fx4 package comes with upgraded shocks and more skid plates underneath. The shocks are Rancho.
Here is another picture.

Old 10-11-2001, 07:24 PM
Hey lookin4ascrew,

Great looking truck! I had my mind made up to the point that if I were to order an '02, it would be either an FX4 or a KR. Guess you know now what I did, "A".

BTW, that hole in the ground right next to your truck looks like it could just about ruin your truck if you didn't watch yourself real close at night.

If you are interested in lifting the front end and don't know how to do it then I wrote a procedure. I posted it on the King Ranch Forum under The King Ranch Trip thread and I think it's on page one. There was another procedure with it to hook up a trailer brake controll unit to the factory wiring harness.

DaveMan

Old 10-11-2001, 07:56 PM
DaveMan,

I usually don't park there, just when I am stopping in to get something, but thanks for the heads up.

What does adjusting the torsion bars do to the truck other than raise it up a little? Does it effect handling or anything else? Is anything going to wear out faster?

And what do the bars look like anyway?

Old 10-11-2001, 09:06 PM
Hey Lookin',

The torsion bars are your front springs. They are long bars that run from the front lower control arms to a fixed bracket under the drivers seat area. Instead of using coil springs, these springs are round bars that are in torsion and the ends have large hexagonal protrutions to enable something to grab the bars. The torsion comes from the lower control arm rotating about it's pivot and the bars work in the opposite direction to counter the wheel movemnet. This form of front spring is not new and Chrysler used it on many many cars in the early days. IMO, most of the better 4x4s use them 'cause they allow for additional ground clearance vs coil spring setups plus they are easy to adjust. The bars are adjustable to enable you to make up for all sorts of manufacturing out of tolerances as well as adjust the height to get it level.

There will definitely be an increase in front suspension stiffness if you crank them puppies up. However, the rewards to me far outway the effects that are a result to leveling. Shocks shouldn't be affected as there is still the same amount of overall travel no matter what you do with the torsion bars.

I cranked mine up three turns on the drivers side and 5 on the other. Read my sig, look at the photo in my sig and go and read the procedure in the location where I pointed you in my previous post.

Good Luck

DaveMan

Trending Topics

Old 10-11-2001, 10:29 PM
Hey Lookin,
That look's great . I like the new rim's . I would'nt mind finding a set for my 2001. Have fun doing all the mod's .
Good luck...Your gonna love it!!!
Mike

Old 10-11-2001, 11:01 PM
Shocks shouldn't be affected as there is still the same amount of overall travel no matter what you do with the torsion bars.
This statement isn't true.
If you crank up your torsion bars you are affecting travel.
You will limit the 'droop' of the front suspension and change the overall handling and ride of your truck.
Although it is a common practice I would advise against it.

Last edited by Mark_911; 10-11-2001 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-12-2001, 01:23 AM
Hey Mark,

Look at it this way, if I remove the shocks and push down on the truck with an unlimited weight, how far will the lower control arms rotate in their bushings? Now right the number of degrees down after testing. Put the shocks back on and do the same test. Did the SHOCKS get affected; do the SHOCKS themselves get changed in anyway because of the cranked torsion bars? If cranking up the torsion bars in fact changes the shocks, then yes you may be right. How can cranking the torsion bars tighter change the shocks? If before the change I push on the bumper with 100# force at a specific location and record the amount of movement. Next I crank the torsion bar adjustment screws one turn on each side and record the measurement, I had better get a smaller amount of deflection as I have changed the preload on the front suspension. However, none of the measurements just mentioned before and after torsion bar adjustment should be different with or without shocks installed, assuming no gas pressure effects from the shocks is accounted for.

What I was saying is if the bars are cranked, then if a device could be attached to the wheel that could deliver whatever force is needed then the wheel could still travel the full amount from upper limits to the lower one. I did not say it would move the exact same amount for the exact same force applied to the front end. I think you are twisting my words around.

Damn right cranking the torsion bars affects travel for a given force input. But you were reading something into my statements that I never actually said.

Besides, you never did state what are the reasons to not crank the bars; you just said you don't advise it. Sounds to me like you are just guessing. He//, you'd probably say don't change anything on your truck just to be safe and not alter a truck in any way and anyone could say that with no justification.

If you are going to tell someone that something is a bad practice, then IMO, you need to give him or her some sort of explanation as to why, otherwise you are just being negative and are guessing. I've actually done this mod and have driven my truck and have no problems, what do you have to back up your statements? According to your profile, you are an accountant, IMO you don’t have the background to make statements or to imply that I was giving bad advice or incorrect information.

If you can set me straight then I will stand corrected, otherwise my statements will remain.

DaveMan

Old 10-12-2001, 12:37 PM
I like the truck, just one thing I would do for appearance. I don't like that grey stripe that runds on the side of the doors and front quarter panels. I belive this is a Lariat thing but it looks ugly to me.

Just my opinion. Hey did your truck have the option for the power slider?

Old 10-12-2001, 03:42 PM
The stripes are growing on me, but I wish they had put them on straight.

When I purchased, I didn't look for the option of the sliding rear window.

Old 10-12-2001, 03:53 PM
Wink

Daveman,
I decided to test your theory this afternoon. I put on my coveralls, got my socket set out, and my tape measure. I then pushed down on the front of my truck with unlimited weight, dented the he// out of the hood and quit.
Dave
sorry, I couldn't resist.

Last edited by BroncoDave; 10-12-2001 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-12-2001, 04:56 PM
Talking did you use metric or english measurements...

of that unlimited weight? you would have to adjust your measurements... ( big ol grin) sorry Daveman, couldnt resist either... )

Mosa

Old 10-12-2001, 04:59 PM
Sorry Daveman, I guess I should have elaborated for you.
I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

First of all I am not an accountant. Account Manager. Also known as outside sales rep. but that has nothing to do with suspension or this post.

You are right. Adjusting the torsion bars has nothing or very little to do with the shocks. That is not what I was commenting on. And if you had read my post you would see I didn't say anything about shocks.
I should have done this
there is still the same amount of overall travel no matter what you do with the torsion bars
Shocks have nothing to do with travel except in possible extreme situations where the suspension is so articulated that the shock cannot extend any further.
Many people crank up their torsion bars to get an extra couple of inches of clearance out of their vehicles.
The more you crank the torsion bars, the higher the effective spring rate on your front end, thus taking more weight to get the same amount of compression.
Which results in
-harsher ride
-less travel especially in the downward direction (droop) of the suspension.
On rough roads (gravel) this could cause a dangerous control problem for the driver and that is why I suggested not to start cranking them up.

And if you want to get really picky increase wear on axel shafts and axel boots due to the increase in angle is another result.

Last time I checked this was a message board to exchange ideas and experiences. I have been involved in off-roading for years and don't see why I should have to justify my comments to you a Self proclaimed Do-It-Yourselfer.
Feel free to ignore my comments in the future.

Quick Reply: Finally got pics of my new 2002 Fx4