SuperCrew

Bike Rack?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2001, 08:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bike Rack?

Has anyone installed a bike rack in the bed of the truck? Yakima has several options, but the cheapest, simplest requires drilling holes in the bed.

Has anyone done this?

Also, are the sides of the bed really fiberglass or am I just seeing things?

Old 10-08-2001, 12:36 PM
yes the bed is fiberglass I have a ladder rack and the fiberglass made it difficult to mount.Not much help just answering one of your ?

Old 10-08-2001, 07:27 PM
Cool home made bike rack

I went to the local cycle shop found a few different style of bike racks. Price range $75.00 to $ 125.00. one attaches to the rear tail gate seem to be a hasel putting it on and off. another attached to the lip of bed shoulder seem better but expensive.
I made mine that attached to the front tie down and it doen't look too bad, i had 2 bike holder around $12.00 each. went to home depot and bought and aluminum extension rod for scraping it around 6 feet or more cut it to size bought few nuts,bolts,and washers $20 bucks. total $ 46.00. went home and installed took me a half hour to install.

Last edited by hmiz; 10-08-2001 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-08-2001, 11:34 PM
Why not just get a reveiver hitch type bike rack?

Old 10-08-2001, 11:41 PM
Well, that makes sense, but what if I want to pull my boat or have the tailgate down?

Old 10-09-2001, 08:09 AM
The bodyside outer panels (fenders) are fiberglass (fiberglass reinforced plastic...composite) but the bed inside walls and floor and headboard are steel. The ladder rack was probably mainly a problem because there are no stake pockets.

A floor mounted bike rack should be no problem.

Old 10-09-2001, 11:51 AM
Take a look at the link below. It is a load bar that I have--works well for 3 bikes for me and I use it to stabilize small items. What I like about it is that it's easily removable...

http://www.saveaload.com/silverbaracces.htm

Trending Topics

Old 10-09-2001, 01:07 PM
Question

Hyacinth,
Do you have any pictures of your install? The web page looks like a pretty good application to hold the bikes. Does it hold tight?

Old 10-09-2001, 03:25 PM
Thumbs up bike rack

It is the best thing that I've found...very secure...looks sharp also. Saris sells the same bar with two bike holders...just adds their sticker...I'll post a pic soon

Old 10-09-2001, 04:41 PM
The bar tightens hydraulically and I have never had a problem with it. I suppose that there is a small chance that it could accidentally loosen, but whenever I go on long trips with our bikes, I check it every so often. I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

Old 10-10-2001, 07:50 AM
Cool BIKE RACK

I have a tool box n the back (see Signature) and on the top of the toolbox I mounted 4 mounts to hold my bikes.

These are the quick release mounts that securely hold your front fork. This puts the fork on the box and the rear wheel down in the bed. You can still close the tailgate and actually there is room for other things in the bed between the rear wheels.

We camp alot and take 4 bikes, firewood up under the box, several lawn chairs,etc...............work great!!!

Cost about $20 per mount available at performancebike.com or most local bike shops.

I would highly recomend the Gull Wing style of box so as to avoid the breaking of rear window by the mounts as the box is opened.

Installation:
1. layout on the box top with the bikes attached so as to get a good idea about proper positioning. (put all bike up the at once to make sure all handlebars fit.

2. drill and then put fender washers on the inside sealed with some kind of silicone seal. (use stainless bolts so no rust)

whole job less than an hour.

Works great.......... good luck

Mike

Old 10-11-2001, 01:12 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My shortbed has a lumber slot in the sidewall, I bolted a $25 BikeTite to a 2x6 and a bike (minus front tire) fits between the board and cab. I know the SuperCrew has a slot but don't if there is enough room from slot to cab. You might want to check it out.
Cheapest way and no drilling.

Old 10-11-2001, 03:11 PM
Question

What is a lumber slot and what does it look like?

sorry for the ignorance

Old 10-11-2001, 03:39 PM
www.deltacycle.com

look at the StableLoader plus the add-ons to receive the wheel sp you don't have to take the front wheel off.

Old 10-11-2001, 03:47 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Look at the sidewall between the wheelwell and tailgate. You will see a 'slot' built into the sheet metal on each side. It is to hold a 2x?". I used two 2x6"s stacked one on the other. Since they are actually 5.5" I have an 11 inch 'wall' across the bed. I attached the BikeTite to the lower of the two. The second 2x6 adds weight so the lower dosn't bounce and using two boards makes putting in and taking out easier than 'tilting/wedging' in a 2x8. I don't think it's possible to insert a 2x10 because of the rail overhang.

Quick Reply: Bike Rack?