SuperCrew

My 2006 5.4L Screw sparkplug experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2006 5.4L Screw sparkplug experience

I know this topic has been beat to death so I am just sharing my experience.

Problem..problem with my truck was the engine was breaking up under medium to heavy acceleration.Meaning if you floored the accelerator pedal it would climb to about 4000 rpm and then start to miss, break-up etc.
Even when up to highway speeds if you would try to pass a car and had to give it medium throttle it would break up. My truck has been doing this for about 2 years now.I gathered a few opinions w/o hinting that I thought it might be sparkplugs and the concensus was pretty much sparkplugs.

About I got a quote from a local shop that I trust for sparkplus install of $180 or 2.5 hours shop labor. I even covered the broken plug possibilty and the shop owner was not worried
Here are the specifics.....
  • 2006 F-150
  • 84,000 miles
  • 5.4L with original sparkplugs
The Project..I began the project by gathering the needed sparkplugs, blowing out the area surrounding the coils, and spraying some PB blaster down the hole for plug 1 & 2........and thats where I stopped,lol

I did not have the correct sparkplug socket, I thought I had the anti-sieze at home which I did not, and the Lisle remove tool was not available locally until Thurs which is when I have to go back to work. I estimated it would prob take me ~ 6 hours or less.

So I said to myself......
-the shop is 4 miles away
-$180 and its over with?
-If the shop can take me this morning I'll do it.
-if I need to buy the tool+buying the $25 requisite anti-sieze+what my time is worth on my day off+ if I break one so bad that noone wants to deal with it = the $180 is worth it!!

I called and sure enough he had the time and 5 minutes later I was there.

I discussed the plug senario again this time with pics. With the engine hot they began...

ALL plugs came out WITHOUT breaking!!!

They made some hideous noises on the way out and I watched the tech remove them and I'll have to say that is a rediculous amount of effort to physically turn the ratchet to get them out.

Last edited by struckby; 10-19-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:38 PM
so in summarization I received an excellent customer service experience from a local place here in Central Florida called R&O Auto Repair on east HWY 50 Orlando,Florida.

He even checked my truck for trouble codes such as bad coil packs.

In celebration of my truck now running better than ever I decided to have the shop turn my rotors which had some slight worping and replace the pads with some Wagner Thermoquiets.

The final phase of my celebration will be to replace my worn POS Terra Grapplers with some new 285/65/15 BFG KO's.

A complete interior and exterior detail will follow

Old 10-19-2010, 02:50 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Just curious, did they soak them with anything? Glad it turned out so well. That was a bargain.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Just curious, did they soak them with anything? Glad it turned out so well. That was a bargain.
Yes they sprayed them but they did not wait. They did not let the truck cool or let the penetrant soak. They just went right to work and they were done in about 1.75 hours.....FTMFW!!

Old 10-20-2010, 04:45 PM
....just picked up the truck today. I did several WOT blasts up to 75 mph with no signs of breaking up.

The brake rotors ended up not having enough material to turn them again so I got 4 new Wagner rotors and Wagner TQ's all the way around.

Man what a difference on both the engine performance and the braking!!

Quick Reply: My 2006 5.4L Screw sparkplug experience