SuperCrew

How to Determine Exact Radiator installed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2001, 01:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to Determine Exact Radiator installed?

To all,
I've read about people who've found either a 1.02" or 1.42" radiator for their Class III Trailer Towing Group SuperCrews.

A couple of weeks from now, I'm planning on buying a new SuperCrew with a 5.4l engine and a Class III Trailer Towing Group, so I ask:

1) When I pop the hood open, where specifically do I look for the radiator part number? Pics? Please use layman's terms and no acronyms, THANKS!
2) I assume I'm looking for a YL3H-8005-GA or the YL3Z-8005-GA radiator, and NOT the XL3H------AB or XL3H------DA radiators?
3) If I have to resort to measuring the core, where is a good place to do it?

I ask this so when I find a vehicle that is what I want, but doesn't have the radiator I want, I can definitively show the dealer that so they can't squirm or lie their way through it.

Thanks very much in advance,
John

Old 04-06-2001, 08:34 PM
Smile

jkb;
Try a search on "radiator" - - there must be 300-400 posts on the subject. There are several with the info you want .... I'm not sure what all the fuss is about .... NO ONE - - not a single post --- has had ANY problems with overheating while towing. Much adoo about nothing (imho) ... and YES ... I ordered the towing mod.

------------------
<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1023393&a=8790857&p=28542295&Sequence=1" TARGET=_blank> </A> <A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1023393&a=8790857&p=28542675&Sequence=2" TARGET=_blank> </A>

2001 F-150 Super Crew Lariat 4x4
5.4 engine; Chestnut w/ gold trim; Captain's Chairs; Ford/ Duraliner bed insert; Access Roll-up bed cover; Six disc CD changer in '98/'99 Expedition center console; Fosgate FNP1614 component speakers (front); Pioneer TS-A6855 speakers (rear); 8 inch MTX subwoofer in custom built, center console, sealed enclosure; Zapco AG150 amplifier; DRL daytime running lights with Fog Lights (Mod)available at all times;
Bel 980 Radar detector; Moon roof; Bed extender; Class 3 trailer hitch

[This message has been edited by FedExPilot (edited 04-06-2001).]

Old 04-06-2001, 10:45 PM
Question

You've heard of someone who got the 1.42" radiator with the tow package jbk? I sure haven't. I've heard from folks with the heavy payload package receiving the correct radiator, but no one with the towing package. I even posted an inquiry last week asking for those w/ towing packages who received the 1.42" to speak up.... and there were no affirmative responses.

As for FedEx's opinion, well... perhaps the smaller radiators might just do the job, but the towing package boasts a "radiator upgrade." They're charging more for the tow group and the radiator upgrade is part of that increased cost. Personally, I like the feeling of getting a bit more with each and every option I receive for which I foot the bill (which is the game they all play us for when buying a new vehicle).... and I don't enjoy feeling like a schmuck when all is said and done and I'm not given something I've been promised. It's obvious Ford has been playing this radiator game for at least two years now. And you know what? It makes me mad..... very mad. I for one intend to do something about it should my new vehicle come in with the 1.02" radiator. Not just for the warm and fuzzy feeling I'll get knowing I've got improved hardware under the hood.... but the feeling I'll have for knowing I'm not a schmuck.

Old 04-07-2001, 12:01 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FedExPilot:
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about .... NO ONE - - not a single post --- has had ANY problems with overheating while towing. Much adoo about nothing (imho)
</font>
Analogy time.

Let's say I went to XYZ Express to ship a package. I ordered and paid for the overnight service. At the bottom of the paperwork in small print there was
*XYZ Express reserves the right to change shipping timetables at any time.

My package arrived at it's destination 3 days later. I called XYZ Express to complain about the service and was told that overnight service was now 3 day service per the small print language on the paperwork.

I find a web site that has a message board where people are talking about how they are not getting overnight service on their packages. I learn that overnight service has not been available for more than a year but is still being advertized. Not one person is having problems with their packages _not_ being delivered.

Would complaining about this be much ado about nothing?

Old 04-07-2001, 02:30 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 01sport:
Analogy time.

Let's say I went to XYZ Express to ship a package. I ordered and paid for the overnight service. At the bottom of the paperwork in small print there was
*XYZ Express reserves the right to change shipping timetables at any time.

My package arrived at it's destination 3 days later. I called XYZ Express to complain about the service and was told that overnight service was now 3 day service per the small print language on the paperwork.

I find a web site that has a message board where people are talking about how they are not getting overnight service on their packages. I learn that overnight service has not been available for more than a year but is still being advertized. Not one person is having problems with their packages _not_ being delivered.

Would complaining about this be much ado about nothing?
</font>
---------------------------------------

01...I'm with you. Fact is I'm not going to wait and find out if I have an overheating problem because I'm getting my "little" radiator replaced with the "bigger" one I paid for.

Perhaps those who don't understand what the "fuss" is all about, would mind sending the rest of us a check to pay for the radiators we didn't get. I will bet there are no takers...huh, FedX?

Old 04-07-2001, 10:38 AM
Cool

FedExPilot--------I have read many intelligent and helpful posts by you and appreciate them all, but the above post is not one of them. I hope you rethink what you are saying. Those of us that want the correct radiator are no different than you. Ever went to a restaurant and ordered a filet mignon and got shoe leather. Both will fill you up but you paid for the best. We just want what we paid for.

------------------
2000 F-150, XLT, SC, 5.4, 4X4, 355 LS, ORP, Black/Silver, class III, single CD, sliding glass, med. gray, keyless, elect. shift, engine date 8-18-99, Superchip. 2.02" corrected radiator-F75Z-8005-GA --- '93 Harley Fatboy Black & tons of chrome

Old 04-07-2001, 11:29 AM
Cool

Bubbadewsky, Grumps, Tray, 01Sport;
Looks like I stirred up a little hornet's nest.

Wanting, or expecting, the "correct" radiator is one thing - - folks "walking away" from taking delivery (several other threads)seems to be quite an extension.
I'm actually grateful we have a couple of zealots ( ), with the time to get energized over radiator size ... and more power to them. But I don't see any evil (Ford), industrial conspiracy at work here... as some other threads would suggest.
Since the Clinton's left the oval office, I haven't gone into any rages ... I don't think the "radiator" issue will (could ever) replace Bill and/or Hillary.

I, too, want what I "paid" for. I suspect, when it's all said and done, there has been a disconnect (at Ford) between engineering and marketing with regards to the radiator size. Thanks to several www.F150online.com members (the "zealots" above ) we'll probably get a check/ rebate/ credit in the future. BUT, I really believe I got what I paid for .... a package designed to tow a trailer within weight limits.

I'll now go out and dig holes in the yard for my wife's new plants/ transplants... those sort of projects seem to take up most of my free time lately. I'm not looking forward to the inevitable flames - - but that's what I get for opening my big mouth. Best regards to all.....

------------------
<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1023393&a=8790857&p=28542295&Sequence=1" TARGET=_blank> </A> <A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1023393&a=8790857&p=28542675&Sequence=2" TARGET=_blank> </A>

5.4 engine; Chestnut w/ gold trim; Captain's Chairs; Ford/ Duraliner bed insert; Access Roll-up bed cover; Six disc CD changer in '98/'99 Expedition center console; Fosgate FNP1614 component speakers (front); Pioneer TS-A6855 speakers (rear); 8 inch MTX subwoofer in custom built, center console, sealed enclosure; Zapco AG150 amplifier; DRL daytime running lights with Fog Lights (Mod)available at all times;

[This message has been edited by FedExPilot (edited 04-07-2001).]

Old 04-07-2001, 01:24 PM
Cool

&gt;&gt; Much adoo about nothing (imho)

Um, I actually need the enhanced radiator. Beyond of "getting what you've thought you paid for" argument, I'm planning on towing a trailer in the future over a few thousand feet of elevation (I5 Grapevine) / desert (Death Valley) / a long distance from a Ford dealer (Sierras) (or combination thereof), so the last thing I need to worry about is having a smaller than required radiator. I personally thank everyone who posted on this subject for this information, so when I buy a SuperCrew, I don't have to find this out after the purchase! I'm not on a "mission", I just want the info before purchase.

With respect to another post, I haven't seen a post where someone got the radiator that was supposed to come with the towing package. If there was such a post, I missed it. My mistake...

In the meantime, I did wind up reading the tons of posts on this subject anyways. I've accumulated a summary of info, if anyone is interested (yeah I'm answering my own question, but others won't have to pour over all those posts...):

WHAT SUPERCREW RADIATOR AND WHERE TO LOOK FOR IT?
(my summary) 2000 SCrews use the 1.02 for standard and 2.20 for supercool, while 2001 use the 1.02 for standard and 1.42 for supercool (based on the source book http://fordtraining.com/).

(other posts)
My dealer order all three radiators and I got to check them out. Here's the real specs and part #.
XL3Z-8005-DA this is the 1.02" one row
YL3Z-8005-GA this is the 1.42" one row
F75Z-8005-GB this is the 2.20" two row

These are listed for the 2001 5.4L.
The XL3H------AB, XL3H-8005-DA and the XL3Z-8005-DA are the same 1.02".
The YL3H-8005-GA and the YL3Z-8005-GA are the same 1.42".
The F75H-8005-GA is the super cooling rad for the 2001 Lightning the F75Z-8005-FA is the same rad used in the 98-99 super cooled F150's and is the same as in the 97 super cooled F150's. The 2.02" 2 row rads are all the same from 97-2001 just a part # change. The dealer and I compared and measured all of the above radiators.
The 1.42" has much more mass that the 1.02" and the 1.42" has a little bigger tank on the one side. But the 2.02" rad is huge next to both and the tank on the one side is bigger than both of the others. I had the 2.02" on my other F150's and the fan never kick on and the AC was always nice and cool. Not like on my 2001 SCrew fan kick on AC get warm and I know it's because of this 1.02" rad we'll see next week.

The part number is on the pax side of the rad and a little white sticker. Look in ENGINE section of this website for part numbers. If it says XL---AB it's wrong. You want YL----GA which is the 1.42".

1. Where is the part number located on these radiators?
2. Do you just measure the silver part of the radiator at the top to get the thickness?
3. Where should I look to see an auxiliary tranny cooler if I have one?

1. Drivers side rad tank.
2.The core is the section that runs between the tanks, directly in front of the fan. fin and tube assy.
3. pass side lower in front of rad, with lines running to trans, the unit on the drivers side is a power steering cooler.

USALLY LOCATED ON DRIVERS SIDE TANK A LITTLE STICKER( oops cap lock) with a prefix like XL3Z or YL3H than a letter code like DA or GA, the rad part will have a 8005 between the letters, see posts above for part/prduction numbers.

Hope this helps,
John

Old 04-07-2001, 05:29 PM
Tomcat;
Now what is a (former?) F-14 guy doing in AZ ??
That's one thing I really miss since retiring from Naval Aviation - - flew the Tomcat from '76 to '96 - - it was quite an airplane in its day !!!!

</font>

I used to work for Grumman Aerospace. They paid for my college, Mech Engr.(University of Arizona). I was in the Naval reserves (AVROC program) during school. I was supposed to report to Pensacola my junior summer (1982) for OCS but it was booked up and was postponed until my senior summer. So instead of enjoying a wonderful Florida summer and getting yelled at, I got my private pilots license that summer instead. After that I started having seconds thoughts about the program. I have bad eyes so I would have been an EO/RIO/BN. Decided against it and opted out of the program. Went on to work from Hughes Missile Systems on the Phoenix and AMRAAM missile design programs. Along the way I built an experimental aircraft, an RV-4 and sold it due to my growing family needs. Haven't flown in 15 years.

Maybe someday I will pick up the hobby again. I bought my last truck in 1983 to haul airplane parts around. Now I have a SCrew. I might just start thinking about hauling airplane parts around again.

Old 04-08-2001, 12:15 AM
jkb;
Try a search on "radiator" - - there must be 300-400 posts on the subject. There are several with the info you want .... I'm not sure what all the fuss is about .... NO ONE - - not a single post --- has had ANY problems with overheating while towing. Much adoo about nothing (imho) ... and YES ... I ordered the towing mod.

</font>
I live in Arizona and I purchased the towing package for the additional cooling capacity. I too have heard from my local dealarship that Ford has changed the spec's on their radiators for the Towing package. However, it doesn't explain (nor could the dealership) why the Expeditions with towing packages have the upgraded radiators. Ford can say all they want about changing spec's, but until they explain why they have two different radiators for the Expeditions, I won't be convinced we are waisting our time.

I will have my radiator replaced (at Ford's expense) by my dealarship in the next few weeks. I was told by the dealership they have some "good will" descretion even though Ford has not sent out a official replacement notice. So I have won my battle.

[This message has been edited by F14Tomcat (edited 04-07-2001).]

Old 04-08-2001, 12:32 AM
Cool

Tomcat;
Now what is a (former?) F-14 guy doing in AZ ??
That's one thing I really miss since retiring from Naval Aviation - - flew the Tomcat from '76 to '96 - - it was quite an airplane in its day !!!!

------------------

Old 04-08-2001, 05:33 PM
Thumbs up

jkb081759,

GREAT JOB JOHN !!! That's what this sight is all about. I haven't had the time to go back and try to figure this whole radiator thing out. Thanks for the summery. I'm going out to my truck now and check it out.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/skyjet1/SuperCrew.html" TARGET=_blank>

http://www.geocities.com/skyjet1/SuperCrew.html</A>

First Edition 2001 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew, Bright Red / Silver Frost, Medium Graphite Leather, 2X4, 5.4, Moonroof, 6 CD Changer, 3.55 Limited Slip, Tow package, Bright Red Lund Nose Shield, Line-X bedliner, Bed Extender, Daytime Running Lights, Magellen M330 GPS.

Quick Reply: How to Determine Exact Radiator installed?