SuperCrew

Finally: Pics of my sub box and back bench

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 01:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The mounting depth has no impact on cubic volume of your enclosure. It is only there to let you know how deep you can insert the speaker. I built my own box for behind the seat of my 1988 XLT Lariat. The size is too much for the JBL 12" but I plan on replacing with 2- 10" Kicker or JL audio subs. I used caulk for my box because of the fact that I am going to replace the fron piece eventually. Liquid Nails is going to do awesome to keep your enclosure together.

Old 02-28-2006, 10:54 AM
I wish I could get away with getting rid of the 60/40 in the back, but I occasionally carry that 5th person (3rd wheel, get it...). So, I'm stuck trying to figure out what to do to get a little thump back there on the cheap.

Yours is going to be SAHWEET, Pat!!!

Old 02-28-2006, 04:43 PM
That is some really nice custom work! man I wish I was more handy like that.

Old 03-05-2006, 01:35 AM
Great Idea

That's a very cool idea. Not sure if I'm into taking up that much space though. I was lucky enough to be able to hit a local speaker shop and find a box for 2 10's. Problem was that it was too small for the JL's that I had.
The box was, however, made with a bunch of empty space in between the speakers, but a nice facade so it looks solid all the way around the underneath of the rear seat.
Anyway, I decided to cut away the inside edge of one of the boxes with a jig saw. It doesn't look too purty, but I added an additional load of lumber underneath, using liquid nails, to extend the airspace of one side of the box.
You can't see it as it's hidden behind the facade, so nobody knows that the box is ugly underneath.

I cut the other speaker box out completely underneath and mounted my amp in there 'cuz it was convenient.
I'm now running a Kicker C10, face up, firing into the seat.
The one thing that's great about the C10 is that it has a rigid lip around it, that the cone can't extend beyond, so...ta da...no blown speakers.

I found that out after overdoing it with some 'Lil Jon and hearing the Fosgate blow.

Either way, hope you post a pic of your venture when you're done.

Old 04-03-2006, 03:10 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
No i havent forgoten about this thread

hey everyone, ive been really busy with work and school and what not.

I ordered my HU two weeks ago, just got my truck tinted, and ive ordered an amp, subs, sound deadening, amp wiring kit, speaker terminals.....
hopefully i should be up and thumping by this weekend. Im so excited. Ill be looking for suggestions on some good component speakers in the next couple weeks.

So check back sometime this weekend for lots of pics

-Patrick

Last edited by Patman; 04-03-2006 at 03:12 AM.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:44 PM
Global Moderator &

Hey yall, i built an amp rack last night, and ran my power wire, and today i cut out the back wall to make room for the amp and rack. Here is where im at right now:

CONTINUED

Old 04-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Global Moderator &

I just used one screw on each side to hold it up in the front, the back just rests on the carpet, and i only used two of the mounting holes on the amp, i used the ones up front because they are easier to get to.

My weapons of choice that i had at the house, to cut that panel out, was two hack saws, one the blade can be tilted, and i used a file to smooth it out.

Monday ill be boreing out the holes for the subs, and the speaker terminals.

Wed, i will be stripping out my interior and sound deadening it all with some neuprene sound deadener i found through this site.
-Patrick

Old 04-11-2006, 01:01 PM
Global Moderator &

I stripped out my interior sunday night, my sound deadener arrived yesterday, I just about finished boring out the speaker terminal holes, and sub holes yesterday.

This evening i hope to have the box finished, and the truck sound deadened, and everything put back together.

I raced one of my friends last night after work, and i pulled him alot harder then the last time i raced him Im really enjoying the weight reduction side effect of having no carpet, and all but one seat gone

I guess ill post the rest of my pictures once everything is back together.

Last edited by Patman; 04-11-2006 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Global Moderator &

well needless to say, my mom was a little upset when she saw i completly gutted my interior. And it was sitting all over half of the garage...

Ok im done.
-Patrick

Old 04-12-2006, 02:29 AM
Global Moderator &

And after close to 10 straight hours working on my truck, im all done, well with the stereo install, for now

Heres where im at, No seats, I installed all of the soundeadener i wanted to, finished box, put subs in, speaker terminals in, wired it all up, including adding an input wire in the back of the headunit, for MP3 players etc (its a headphone jack on one end, and two RCA jacks on the other)

Carpet is back in, and the amp is just laying on the floor, i need to get longer wires that go from amp, to speaker box... then i will finish installing amp rack, amp, and tucking all the wires and all.

But any who. we did a little test run, at 1am through the neiborhood, with me sitting on a cooler as a seat, and it hits pretty damn hard. The amp was somewhat tuned since i bought it from a friend, but im still going to try to get it tuned properly tomorrow.

So tomorrow, im going to hopefully get everything back together, and finish the install, and then take some pics. I still need to wrap the box with carpet.
-Patrick

Old 04-13-2006, 01:17 AM
Global Moderator &

well its all done, interior is finally all back together, well mostly, and i have maybe a dozen little rattles to locate and exterminate. i am going to have to figure something out on my overhead console, it vibrates like crasy, especially the garage door one, that is designed to be able to pushed up on without opening....

Any who, these Infinty subs, in this box, with this 1200w JBL amp absolutely pounds. Way past my expectations. I was showing it off to people at work and they were all standing out stide say oh thats nice, blah blah, well im like get inside, and then you will have a better appreciation for its power. With the sound-deadening i did, it hits 2x harder inside then it does outside.

THANKS to everyone for suggesting little things along the way, my next conquest is to try and find a center console armrest, identical to whats in my truck now, so i can have some storage, cupholders, and an armrest for the rear. So if anyone knows where i can find one letme know, i honestly wouldnt care if it was tan, i would prefer grey but w.e

-Patrick

Old 04-13-2006, 01:18 AM
Global Moderator &

Oh you wanted pics????

Old 04-13-2006, 01:20 AM
Global Moderator &

Pics Continued

:P okay im done. How do yall think it turned out???
-Patrick

Old 04-13-2006, 01:51 AM
Wow not at all my cup of tea, but damn you did a very nice job! Clean and looks great. You get my kudos for that sir.

John

btw: Should have put a cup holder or two in it and watched 20oz bottles of coke get so shaken up they explode. lol

Old 04-14-2006, 12:40 AM
damn man looks awesome very nice and clean install

Quick Reply: Finally: Pics of my sub box and back bench