SuperCrew

2001 SCrew headliner removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 08:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 SCrew headliner removal

Posted this on the interior section, but didn't get any response. Thought I'd try it here....

Just recently had the moonroof in my 01 SCrew stick open. Dealer got it shut, but wants $650 to replace the motor in it. I can get a used motor out of the yards for $50, so I think I'll try it myself. Couple questions.

The yard has a moonroof motor out of a '00, is it the same as my '01?

Headliner removal. Obviously you have to remove all the items that screw thru the headliner (visors, hooks, handles, etc). And remove the plastic covers on the A, B and C pillars. What about the rubber window trim that laps onto the headliner? And after that, does the headliner just drop down? Or do you have to slide it forward?

Any tips would be appreciated! I can monkey with it a long time for the $600 difference.

Old 07-22-2005, 11:03 AM
The moonroofs, especially on the 2001's are notorious for getting stuck open. If the problem is the motor then I would be very hesitant to go through all the hassle of putting in a secondhand one because the problem is likely to repeat with the secondhand motor.

Have you tried fordpartsonline.com? I, and many other forum members, have shopped there. They sell at or near wholesale. I would give them a try first.

Good luck.

Old 07-22-2005, 11:08 AM
Whoops, forgot about your headliner question. I'll bet the Ford service/repair CD shows the way. I do not have mine handy now. If I were you I would go to ebay and get one. The cost is only about $10 or so shipped. Should pay for itself in spades on your first repair job.

Old 07-22-2005, 11:44 AM
Thanks wildcatter for the tip, already ordered the CD off ebay! We'll see what it says. And fordparsonline shows $139 for the moonroof motor, probably worth the extra over a used one.

Thanks again.

Old 07-23-2005, 11:40 PM
Glad I could help (of course you have to do all the HARD work).

Hey, get back to us later on how this all turns out for you. You might even "write the book" on how to do a moonroof repair (with pics!).

Quick Reply: 2001 SCrew headliner removal