SuperCrew

Gas mileage killin' me... save my Crew !

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas mileage killin' me... save my Crew !

Hi guys,

I know I probably don't have too much to complain about here. Typical 20 mile RT commute... 4 days a week, son to school every morning, trips to the hardware store, grocery, Walmart, etc...

Lately, it seems like my good intentions of buying a truck that the family could use have turned into a $135.00 a month "me only" driving fest! And I hear gas prices might get worse here in California! I average 11 to 13 mpg (no highway driving). I mistakenly got the 4.6L V8 because I thought it would save gas! Little did I know how heavy my foot would become given the size of this vehicle . I've got a new house, new mortgage, and higher energy bills. I like the truck but it just seems like I'm wasting money driving it.

Got any suggestions? I looked at Jeep Wranglers today online but their gas mileage isn't much better than the Crew. At least mine's paid for!

Thanks for listening

Old 07-10-2005, 11:22 PM
Holy cow I looked at Wranglers today too... I think we're stuck with poor gas mileage. I have the 5.4L and I just got 13 on my last tank. Here in CO gas is only $2.40 a gallon, but it still hurts every time I go to the pump, basically once a week.

The smaller motor compared to the bigger I don't think is any different in mileage unless you drive it like a granny going to church on Sunday. I can get 22 MPG in town (YES IN TOWN!!) if I baby my truck but what fun is that?

--Justin

Last edited by KingJR; 07-10-2005 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:28 PM
Suspended
oh, $135.00 a month??? I'm running $400.00 CDN a month for my 04 f-150, truck is on the road 8 hrs of the day as I use it for work/personnel. Monday it's in to see the ford doctor for a flue issue, gonna be fun working out of a focus or taurus for the day....enjoy the truck when your driving it, the loss you would take on your truck if you sold it, or if you bought some thing else can still buy a lot, a lot, a lot of gas...

Old 07-11-2005, 08:43 AM
you think you have high priced gas, try buying gas here in Ontario , Canada. were paying almost $1 more per your US gallon for regular. there isn't much you can do about your mileage unfortunately. i'm looking at buying a good used motorcylce to commute to work. i figure after i purchase the bike, pay insurance/fuel i'll be money ahead at the end of each month. well until winter hits then i'll go back to using the truck for those 3 months.

Old 07-11-2005, 01:20 PM
SM
IMHO, keepin' your foot out of it is the only real answer. You didn't say what year your truck was, though. The '04s and '05s gained some 900 pounds over comparably equipped '01s-'03s. That being said, if you're driving one of the older ones, you should be able to get a minimum of 17mpg if you really wanted to.

My '01 Screw, 4.6, 4x2 has averaged over 18 mpg for 100,000 miles. The short-term average can dip as low as 17-18 around town, and rise as high as 20-22 on the highway.

SM

Old 07-11-2005, 02:24 PM
SM,

We have the exact same trucks. Do you have any mods installed or use anything other than 87 octane?

Jon

Old 07-11-2005, 07:20 PM
You can get good gas mileage out of your 4.6L, you just have to lose your heavy foot. I could normally get 15-17 MPG city from the stock 4.6L keeping the RPM's below 2K while accelerating. You might be able to squeeze another MPG by using some (hard) highway/street tires like the Goodyear Wrangler AP. My 3V 5.4L SC delivers better fuel economy than you're getting.

The Jeep 4L I6 and 3.7L V6 engines get nothing better than 15-16 MPG city. You have other options such as the diesel powered Jeep Liberty. The Sport Trac is kind of a "chick" truck, but my wife does get 18 MPG city out of hers.

Trending Topics

Old 07-11-2005, 07:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the truck is paid for then, what's the problem????????? I am bout a year and a half from that. Go by a cheap used ricer for to and fro driving. Gas prices hurt but that's just what we gotta deal with. I'm gonna just gut it out on my end.

Old 07-11-2005, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by worland
You can get good gas mileage out of your 4.6L, you just have to lose your heavy foot. I could normally get 15-17 MPG city from the stock 4.6L keeping the RPM's below 2K while accelerating. You might be able to squeeze another MPG by using some (hard) highway/street tires like the Goodyear Wrangler AP
Ok then... I'll make a conscious effort to keep the RPMs down and see if it improves... thanks for the tip . My tires are still original.. General Grabber AWs. They're approaching 30k. Very difficult to keep inflated to 40psi (44 max). Maybe there's a problem there too?

Thanks
Jon

Old 07-11-2005, 09:21 PM
My 02 Lariat 4x4 w/ 5.4 just got 10 mpg on the last tank! To fill up the other day was $ 56.00. We here in Northern California have it pretty bad as far as prices go!

I was considering a Hybrid, but I recently heard that the additional 10% cost would not pay for itself over the life of the vehicle in energy savings.

Most of my driving is in-town. I am pretty heavy on the gas because I am always running late. Probably the reason for the excessive brake wear! (but I'de rather blame Midas for that) I have checked out the Toyota's...their mileage ins't much better. Even thought about a diesel...see hyrid revelation above!

Kind of think we are screwed!

Regards to All!
Kevin

Old 07-11-2005, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by kcward
I was considering a Hybrid, but I recently heard that the additional 10% cost would not pay for itself over the life of the vehicle in energy savings.
Yeah you make a good point, as did Cyclone earlier in the thread. If I were to sell it now that new payment + gas would eat me alive! I guess it could be worse... I could be driving a full-sized Hummer!

Old 07-12-2005, 09:05 AM
SM
Crewd,

I am bone-stock except for a Snugtop hard tonneau cover on the bed. In my case, I think it is due to the fact that , at 40-something years old, the lead-foot symptom is long-gone for me. Oh, it was there 25 years ago or so, believe me. Like many other things many of us did in our younger days, I just don't see the point in it now.

For instance, I don't know how many times I've pulled up beside a lead-foot at a traffic signal, and he hammers it pulling away...to the next signal, where he hammers the brakes. I ease up beside him to the red light, and when it changes he hammers it again. This goes on for several blocks, and in the end I'm still beside him, getting 17-18 mpg to his 10-15mpg. Now, this example is probably an over-simplification, I know. However, it illustrates the basic point. I think that is also why my original General Grabbers, crappy as they were, still lasted 86,000 miles, and I'm still on my original brakes at 100,000 miles.

Just lighten up on the pedals a little. Hammerin' it every time won't get you there as quick as some people will have you think.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now.

SM

Old 07-12-2005, 09:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Feather footing is the only surefire way to improve gas mileage. Use good gas too, because the higher the BTU content of the fuel the better the mpg’s. I average approximately 16mpg local driving, but the terrain is flat and traffic is nil.

Old 07-12-2005, 10:35 AM
I don't want to be rude but - Why did you buy a truck in the first place if you were worried about the mileage? Trucks don't get great mileage! Mine gets as good as possible (just below 20 on the road), that is because I go the speed limit and don't race from one light to another. I have a 2001 EB Explorer 6 cylinder that I drive in the city. It gets about 18 in town. Tells you a lot about my driving.
Just a thought, Nissan has a new much bigger Frontier with plenty of horsepower and a six speed transmission which transulates into mileage. That might be an option for you if you need or have to have a truck!
Will always have a big F-150 or 250 4X4 because hunting, fishing, and camping are a big part of my pasttime in Colorado. Good luck in making your decision on whether to keep your fantastic F-150 or trading it for mileage. Semper Fi

Old 07-12-2005, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by Merton Leeper
I don't want to be rude but - Why did you buy a truck in the first place if you were worried about the mileage?
How rude!

Seriously when I bought the truck gas was around $1.40 a gallon. These were pre-Iraq war prices (aah, remember the good 'ole days ). I think the combination of my heavy foot plus the jump these past two years have made it difficult. We just got into a new house too so bills are a lot higher overall. And my own pet peeve... I really get irritated when the gas companies raise the price substantially before a big driving holiday... happens a lot here in CA.

I'm filling up with Chevron today, settin' the odometer, and am going to make an effort to keep my RPMs below 2k while accelerating. It's not that difficult, as I've learned the past couple of days. I really like the truck... no doubt there. A "trade in + gas" would be stupid. The depreciation alone probably makes it worth about $10,000.... if that? Not a great starting point on a new vehicle these days.

BTW, saw a Mini Cooper today. Just for fun went to their website.. base is $18,000! Can you believe that?

for my Crew.. ONLY cost $26,000 back then!

Quick Reply: Gas mileage killin' me... save my Crew !