SuperCrew

Truck Toppers...what'll ya have?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I promise to take some better pics this weekend (after the rainstorms)...I had JUST got her home when I took that picture. I plan on cleaing her up, and tending to the bed before I take some more pics...soon!

Last edited by Zamboni68; 03-21-2005 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:05 AM
for easterisland

That's good info on the z series. I have a few questions about it.
I have a 2003 supercrew-

I live in California and was amazed to find a quote for $1349 + tax. Installation is free. I also wanted the drop out sliding front window for an extra $35. As you said, sliding side windows cost about 100 bucks less. Is this on the up-and-up, or could I be missing something?

Being that you sell them, what would you recommend for the side windows- sliding or pop out? Is one better for looks, leakage, build quality, etc? Either way, they both come with screens, right? The Z series comes with the headliner and 12volt domelight I was told.

Also, for f-150s, if you get the compression boot, how does it mount to the shell? Is it a permanent fixture if you order it? exactly what part of the truck does the boot touch- the paint on the cab or just the windows?

Also, I hear mostly good things about A.R.E. but the other two manufacturers (Leer and Snugtop) I have looked at for comparable caps cost a good chunk more. I don't see any big difference that would warrant the extra price. What is your take on that topic?

Thanks

Old 04-26-2005, 11:42 AM
Each dealer will set up prices differently. Some include the install, a dome light, sliding windows, fold in windows while others do not.
I think $1362 is a pretty good price, but out east stuff is usually less expensive than CA.
The screen-vent windows look much better than the sliders. The draw backs are initial cost, repair cost if you break the window and since the window is heavy sometimes if you drive bumpy roads the window can fall or slide down and rub the paint. Of course this would be covered under the normal 1 year warranty and doesn't happen a lot, but I have seen it happen. The worst thing will be some minor rubbing of the paint on the camper directly under the window.
The boot is permanant. The factory cuts the hole and installs a bulb boot. If you want something less permanent get the slider. the boot will leak and will probably rub the paint on the cab of your truck.
I like the ARE product, but Leer and SnugTop are also good products. I think the SnugTop is actually a better product, but the cost is also higher.

Old 04-27-2005, 01:59 AM
My A.R.E. dealer told me about a plastic temporary boot that inflates between the topper sliding window and the cab rear sliding window. I've used it once to aircondition the dogs in the topper and it worked great! Just another option for you to think about......

Old 04-27-2005, 09:55 AM
I was quoted $850 by a dealer in my area for an A.R.E Z series

Old 04-27-2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by duxnbux
I was quoted $850 by a dealer in my area for an A.R.E Z series
They made a mistake unless it is used, or a second.

Old 05-14-2005, 04:48 AM
I have a Raider Lo Rider Tonneau....

Raider toppers are made here...and are over north america distribution....they are good.

Old 05-14-2005, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by KingRanchlady
My A.R.E. dealer told me about a plastic temporary boot that inflates between the topper sliding window and the cab rear sliding window. I've used it once to aircondition the dogs in the topper and it worked great! Just another option for you to think about......
Sorry I hadn't checked this thread in a while...but this post intrigued me. What manufacturer/model of inflatable boot did you buy? I was thinking of having a portable boot for traveling with the dogs during inclement weather.

Old 05-15-2005, 12:27 AM
Zamboni68:
I still have the box the plastic boot came in. It is called "Truk-boot - the All-Weather Pass-thru" by BMI Autoline Accessories, PO Box 2738, Elkhart, IN 46515. Comes in two sizes: 20"X13" (inside dimensions) model #20000 "for most import & midsize pickups," and 24"X16" model #30000 "for most full size pickups." The box also says "for best fit, choose a truk-boot whose inside dimensions are at least as tall & wide as your sliding window." Also says: "installs between cap & cab, sliding windows can be operated while truk-boot is in place, easy fill tube & repair kit, easy installation, quality engineered, two year warranty."

The color is clear and the plastic is very thick but pliable. The A.R.E. dealer said I needed the bigger size and it is more than enough to cover the sliding windows area. I have used it twice now and it works great! Recently, I drove about three hours one way in 85 degree temps at 70 mph and then on some bumpy gravel roads. The price was about $25.00. The dealer I bought it from is Camper City on Lamar Rd. in Memphis, TN. They are on the internet. If you get one, I have some helpful hints about installation to share.

Old 05-15-2005, 09:43 AM
I am definately interested. Do you have a weblink (URL) for the dealer you bought the boot from? ...and what's the deal with the "helpful hints" ?? ...now you have my curiosoty peaked!

Last edited by Zamboni68; 05-15-2005 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:36 PM
Just had another member mention a "cheap" sollution to the same issue...a bicycle tire! :LOL: Look for more on that discussion here

Old 05-15-2005, 08:02 PM
The address is http://www.campercity.net/about.asp

The helpful hints:
1. Install the boot from the topper side, hopefully you have the fold down front window.

2. Install in the shade because if the truck is hot the boot sticks to the truck and is hard to position in place.

3. When you blow air into the boot, only inflate about 1/4 to 1/3 full. The boot won't fit between the truck and topper otherwise.

4. Make sure you don't have any creases in the plastic and make sure the boot doesn't stick up too high over the cab. (IMO, the sun would then be directly on it and get it too hot, which could cause it to melt.) My truck is a 2003 and I put the boot over the brake light of the truck because it seems to fit snugly there.

5. When you close the front window, you will notice you don't need any more air in the boot; it seems to push the air into all the right areas of the boot. If not, use your hands to push the air more into the boot.

Most of these "hints" were learned the hard way! :o All this sounds complicated, but it really isn't. Enjoy!

Old 05-16-2005, 11:57 AM
Blow it up first then deflate then install between cab and topper and reinflate.
Don't use air compressor unless you know what you are doing as you can bust 1 or more windows.
Don't leave installed for extended periods because it may rub the cab paint or topper paint.
Price should be around $15-$20 for the part.

Old 05-16-2005, 07:00 PM
I couldn't locate the part on-line, even with the "Search" feature...

Old 05-16-2005, 11:13 PM
Well.....then contact Camper City the old fashioned way.....by telephone and have them mail you a boot.

Quick Reply: Truck Toppers...what'll ya have?