SuperCrew

2001 f150 supercrew alignment problem/torsion bar, need answers

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 11:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 f150 supercrew alignment problem/torsion bar, need answers

I recently purchased this vehicle from dealer. In two months it has been aligned 4 times!!!! It will be okay for a day or so then slowly starts pulling to the right again. Very noticable pull, not just a little. Dealer finds nothing wrong.
In doing my own investigating, I found and contacted the previous owner. He had no problems like this, but I learned that when he traded in the truck he had 285 tires on it and had obviously cranked up the torsion bars to get the lift. (I did not get 285 tires when I bought it, dealer had put new stock size on) Do you think it is possible, no one cranked the torsion bars back down to stock and this is my problem?? What else could cause this problem?? Or any other sugestions would be appreciated. Warranty is almost up!!!!

Old 01-18-2005, 11:26 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Posted within the wrong forum. Moved to SUPERCREW.

RP

Old 01-18-2005, 11:30 PM
I realized it after I did it and reposted. Thanks man.

Old 01-18-2005, 11:45 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by punk600
I realized it after I did it and reposted. Thanks man.
No problemo man. If I had any idea as to an answer to your question, I'd try to help. Fortunately, my old 01 had no such problems.

Best of luck on this one and welcome to f150online.com!

RP

Old 01-19-2005, 07:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would check the tie rod ends, ball joints, etc to see if anything is worn.

Old 01-19-2005, 09:54 AM
Do a search on Tie Rods. I have received 2 letters from Ford over the past year, the first in April 2004, and a 2nd in November 04. I would bet that you have this problem.

You should note that Ford didn't feel it was necessary to issue a recall on this. The letters were a friendly concern on Ford's part to get the owner's attention. Also, the letter stated that it was a Warranty issue -no charge.

I live in Toronto Canada, and we received these letters before owners in the states did.

I would strongly suggest you talk to your dealer about this problem. Ibet it is what you are going through

Good Luck

Old 01-19-2005, 11:42 PM
I have same problem....but my front end was inspected twice in last year....and is okay...

may be a bad tire....

Old 01-20-2005, 09:59 AM
If you suspect a tire and wheel problem, consider getting a Road Force Balance. This would pinpoint if the tires or wheels are to blame.

Old 01-21-2005, 04:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I had this problem. It was more brake related than anything.

Two things to check for. Have the dealer check the idler arm. If it is bad it will affect your alignment, and cause your tires to cup. There were a few bad idler arms in 01, and I had one.

When they replaced the idler arm they put in new lower ball joints too. With all the banging and pulling rust chips got lodged behind the disk where it rests against the hub. The disk was not straght as I drove down the road causing it to pull. It wasn't much, but my hand would tire on long drives from constantly holding it straight, much driving in a constant heavy side wind.

I put new brakes on, and it went straight. It still pulls to the right in the right lane, and to the left in the left lane due to the slant of the road, and is a bit wind sensitive. Cold be more a case of my over analyzing it to perfection.

Old 01-23-2005, 09:23 AM
yes it might be the tires. If the old owner had no problems it could very well be the tires.......try having then rotated and see what that does. Also go to a major tire and alingment place and have them take a look at it. I have no problems with my truck I wish you good luck.

mlaughscrew

Old 01-23-2005, 12:17 PM
? for you...

If you got a wheel alignment.....then the idler arm and such should be all okay correct.

You could not get it done if they are out of wak.

Old 01-23-2005, 08:03 PM
questionable alignment techs....

Originally posted by Rinkrat
? for you...

If you got a wheel alignment.....then the idler arm and such should be all okay correct.

You could not get it done if they are out of wak.
That all depends on who's manning the rack. Good alignment techs would refuse to align until repairs are made. Hacks and thieves don't give a rats *** about anybody elses vehicle, they just want the cash.

SL

Old 01-23-2005, 08:28 PM
ya i figured that....but mine was done by my local dealer...they have before and after specs.....all is okay.

My ?...was more on ....the computer would recognize that the alignment could not be done....correct?

Old 01-24-2005, 09:33 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Not, a front end alignment will not tell you anything about the condition of the idler arm. There is a procedure for testing the idler arm.

Old 01-25-2005, 12:01 AM
I am with greencrew on this problem. Had very similar stuff going on with my 03.

After it was all said and done, the idler arm was the culprit. I now have new tires and a front end alignment, and now no problems at all.

Have your dealer check it out.

Keep us posted.

Jag

Quick Reply: 2001 f150 supercrew alignment problem/torsion bar, need answers