SuperCrew

aiming headlight for Fx-4 03'

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aiming headlight for Fx-4 03'

It looks like my left head light is a little higher than my right. does anyone know the proper placement for these. Most have guides to tell you to park so far from a wall and have them aim so many inches up. Help please... also the 9006 I used to replace the fog lamps don't fit. Is there a better fit for Slyvania-Stars?

Old 12-15-2004, 02:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
in the hanes or chiltons it will tell you eggzactly how to aim, i dont have the manual on me at this moment but i could post tomarow with the info

Old 12-15-2004, 06:39 PM
tsc
If I remember correctly. (Make sure your truck is on level ground) Measure the height from the centre of the light to the ground at the bumper. That height should be the same at 25 feet from the vehicle.

Old 12-15-2004, 06:41 PM
Thank you, I tried to find it, but have been unable to.

Old 12-18-2004, 03:25 AM
I have that same exact problem. When it was in the shop for routine maintence I had the dealer check the alignment and they said it was right on.

Old 12-18-2004, 07:26 AM
Don't know about the aiming, but as far as the fog lights go, everyone's using the 9005's and modifying it slightly. I don't have them, but if you do a search you should find your answser.

Old 12-20-2004, 09:54 AM
Aiming....

OK, here it goes

Make sure your truck is parked on level ground w/half tank of gas and no extreme loading in bed or cab. It's usually easier to do in the dark or evening. Measure distance from center of headlamp (usually marked w/ a crosshair or small circle on lense) to the ground (we'll call this distance H). Also measure distance between lamps (using center point on lamp lense as reference again). We'll call this measurement W. Park your vehicle 25 feet from a white wall. Be sure that truck is perpendicular to wall. On the wall, draw a line or place a peice of masking tape so that it is at height H. Find where the cenerline of your truck is and mark the centerpoint on the wall (this can be pretty tricky). Then also draw to markings that reflect the center points for each of your headlights. (This can probbably be done easiest by parking your truck up next to the wall, transferring all points to the wall, then backing straight up to the 25 foot mark). Turn your headlights on and cover up one of the lenses (left or right). Use a dark towel or a coat. Adjust the vertical of the uncovered light so that the "hotspot" is just below your vertical line. Swap headlights and repeat.

As for adjusting in/out or left/right, I've read different measurements here ranging from 7 - 10" so use at your descression, but generally, you want to adjust your left/right so that the left edge of the hotspot is 7-10" from the headlight center reference point for each headlight.

Hope this helps,
Tony

P.S. For those that are wondering, FORD intentionally aims the driver's side lamp lower than the passenger side to prevent your headlights from unintentionally blinding oncoming traffic. They come from the factory "outta whack".

Trending Topics

Old 12-28-2004, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the help. Worked great!

Quick Reply: aiming headlight for Fx-4 03'