SuperCrew

Stupid Seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Stupid Seats

This past weekend, my girlfriend noticed that the passenger seat lumbar support is squeaking horribly. The only way to stop it is to crank the lumbar support until it practically protrudes from the seat. I did a search and found that many people have had this problem, but most had their seats fixed under warranty. My 2001 has almost 49k on it and is well out of warranty. Is there a TSB on this or am I going to have to pay an arm and a leg to have it fixed? Would I be better off going to an upholstry shop instead? About how much am I looking at? Can I fix it myself?

-Craig

Old 10-21-2004, 02:04 PM
No one knows anything about this problem? Any help is appreciated.

-Craig

Old 10-21-2004, 03:09 PM
Seat Problem?

I've never heard of this problem. I've got an '02 S'crew (also out of warranty) with the 60/40 seat. If you're going to pay for it, I would check either dthe upholstery shop or "Salvage Yard" for a replacement. I know there are a lot seats available where the custom shops put in custom seats. Good luck!

Old 10-21-2004, 05:39 PM
When I did a search, I found quite a few people that were having issues with the squeaking lumbar. However, the posts were from almost two years ago so I was curious if anyone had this problem recently. Judging from the amount of replies I'm receiving, I'm guessing no one knows what the heck I'm talking about.

-Craig

Old 10-29-2004, 09:18 PM
I remember someone replied with a remedy that worked for them. They cranked it all the way in one direction and then cranked it all the way back the other direction, and then set it where they wanted it and left it.

It's worth a try before you shell out the cash to replace. I don't have that problem (knock on wood), so I don't know firsthand.

Good luck.

Mike

Old 11-02-2004, 03:01 AM
I did have this problem on my 01 F150 SuperCrew w/ 60/40. I did get mine replaced under warranty in 03 I believe. Its been at least 30k miles later and no problems.

When I had it done, they had to take the seat appart to find the issue.. so, at that time, there was no bulletin on it.

Good Luck.

Old 11-02-2004, 09:10 AM
You might want to check to see if the lumbar mechanism is broken. Have someone sit in the seat and then look at the back of it and see if you have anything poking into the cloth/ leather. I had this happen twice on the same seat.

First time Ford covered it under the extended warranty, second time they said it was covered under the extended warranty

(They fixed it anyways)

I would recommend taking it to an upholstery shop and let them fix it.

Trending Topics

Old 11-03-2004, 05:53 PM
Well gentlemen, my seat problem is fixed. I took my seat into an upholstry shop and had the guy rip my seat apart. I didn't realize how poorly these seats are made. He removed the leather cover and the padding and found that the bolster mechanism was making metal-to-metal contact with the mounting brackets. He sprayed some WD-40 on them, dabbed some grease on, and all seems to be well. Cost me $20 and was way cheaper than the $106 Ford wanted to charge me for a new bolster thing.

-Craig

Old 11-05-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by theantiriced
Well gentlemen, my seat problem is fixed. I took my seat into an upholstry shop and had the guy rip my seat apart. I didn't realize how poorly these seats are made. He removed the leather cover and the padding and found that the bolster mechanism was making metal-to-metal contact with the mounting brackets. He sprayed some WD-40 on them, dabbed some grease on, and all seems to be well. Cost me $20 and was way cheaper than the $106 Ford wanted to charge me for a new bolster thing.

-Craig

uh-huh. But 4 more times to his shop for more lube and you broke even on cost but the part is still broken/no correct.

BTW, WD40 is not a lubricant. It will thin out and displace whatever lube is in there now. Long term, WD40 does more harm than good. You will still need to lube this thing up in future.

Old 11-05-2004, 02:24 PM
Next time I plan on doing it myself. These seats are not nearly as hard to take apart as they look. They guy also put some blue goopy grease on the bolster mountung brackets too, so it should stay quiet for quite some time. I don't think replacing the part would do any good since mine wasn't broken. I don't know how Ford keeps them quiet from the factory, but it obviously only works for so long.

-Craig

Quick Reply: Stupid Seats