SuperCrew

Removing side steps?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing side steps?

Not sure exactly what the pieces are called, but I want to remove the horizontal steps on either side of the truck.

Anyone know what's involved in taking them off? Is it just a few bolts or should I take it to a body shop?

Also, once it's removed, is the body piece that the steps were mounted to going to be visible?

Here's a picture in case my description made absolutely no sense.

Old 08-28-2004, 11:14 AM
Pretty easy - there's about 10-12 bolts for each one, just unbolt them. Might be easier to have someone help you hold them up as you're taking the last few off. I was able to lay under them and support them with my leg/foot. The nuts are actually clipped on the frame; some will probably fall off when you unbolt, so make sure you save them.

BTW - I took mine off for 2 weeks and found how much I really used them so I put them back on.

Old 08-28-2004, 11:51 AM
My main reason for removing them is I want to check out some trails here in CO, and I'm pretty sure those are going to cause me some pains if I run across any rocks.

I'm only 5'7, so I have to use the steps and the handles on the inside of the truck when I get in.

Sounds pretty simple though, so I'll probably take em off and see how things go.

Thanks for the response.

Old 08-30-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by AggieSarah
My main reason for removing them is I want to check out some trails here in CO, and I'm pretty sure those are going to cause me some pains if I run across any rocks.
Those steps may also be the salvation to keeping your rocker panels from getting all bent up if you get courageous with your rock endevors. I'd worry more about clearance under the pumpkin (and approach/departure angles) than anything else.

TonyPTX

Old 09-06-2004, 05:11 PM
All the ideas here are valid , however I have had the opportunity to tear off 2 side steps on 2 different vehicles. It caused scratches and dings that would not have normally happened if they were not there in the first place.

I have since bought an '01 Screw without the side steps and I have gone thru the same places with no problems, it's close still but if I had the sidesteps, I don't think I would have made it unscathed.

To each is own but you will reveal the frame when you remove them.

Later

Quick Reply: Removing side steps?