SuperCrew

Slow Voltage Discharge, Gauge Sweep, Slow Starting - I Think We Have a Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having a starting / ignition up problem with my 2001 SuperCrew Lariat. In short, after a very short period of time between ignitions, the vehicle is very sluggish to start. When I turn the key, all of the gauges sweep to the right. Then I have to engage the starter for several seconds before it finally fires up. I have a new Deka battery (8 months) which has been tested under load, and is OK. After it starts, the gauges all return to normal. The alternator is charging at 14.4 volts,so no problem there. I don't think it is a starter problem, because the starter will engage quickly if it is fed the correct voltage.

The battery is discharging about 1 volt when I check it, but I have no way of knowing if it is a continuous discharge. I have checked all the grounds, all the dome lights, hood lights, etc. that could be drawing power. My aftermarket sound system is fully fused, and everything seems to be fine.

Any ideas? What could create a trickle discharge that I am missing? A friend suggested a gen module problem, but that was just a guess. Bad fuse contact somewhere? I need some clues before I am forced to go to the dealer for the diagnostic tests.

Crewser

"Sometimes nothin' is a real cool hand."
-Cool Hand Luke

Old 08-12-2004, 08:33 PM
I had that happen to me as well... but luckily, I found that I kept getting a recurring problem of not shutting all my doors well (and that darn exterior/cargo light would stay on)... be sure and check all the interior lights.

I wish my truck had more idiot proof features like my car did (95' olds cutlass).. all kinds of bells & whistles when you would leave a light on, and the lights would turn off instead of running down your battery.

Good luck
Later
Dan

Old 08-13-2004, 04:35 PM
Are you sure it's a problem with the electrial system? It could be something with the fuel system as well such low fuel pressure or signs of an aging fuel pump.

Tony

Old 08-14-2004, 01:55 PM
It's probably your new battery.

Slow discharge of about 1 volt per hour usually indicates battery problems. It will show good on a load test immediately after a charge.

Try this, drive the truck to charge the battery. Get out , disconnect the battery and take a voltage reading. Leave the battery disconnected and let it sit overnight. Read the battery voltage in the morning. If it has dropped over a couple tenths of a volt, which is still a lot, then it's your battery.

Another thing you may want to check, while the truck is running, turn on your lights, the airconditioner to full blast and crank your sound system up high. Then check the alternator voltage. Your altenator may be underpowered for your sound system. This will cause the extra required power being taken from the battery.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Slow Voltage Discharge, Gauge Sweep, Slow Starting - I Think We Have a Problem