MagnaCharger vs. Ken Bell vs. Powerdyne

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crash!,

You stated in a previous post, that you were working on some testing of the 9psi pulley for the Magnacharger and related mods. to make it compete with the ATI? How is that going? Is it possible for the Magnacharger to compete with the ATI?

Old 04-29-2002, 01:25 AM
Crash!

Thanks for the info. I will contact you soon about additional mods. for my magnacharger (I don't have it yet, but when I install it, I think I will need either the 7 or 9psi pulley at least?) .

Last edited by iron horse; 05-04-2002 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-04-2002, 12:30 AM
I was reading the online magnacharger install instructions. One of the first things I noticed was the requirement to use 92 octane fuel. In my area, 91 is the highest octane, unless I drive another 30 miles away to get 93 octane.

What will happen if I use 91 octane instead of the required 92?

Is it okay to use 91? Or will I get pinging/knocking and eventually tear up my engine?

Old 05-04-2002, 10:18 PM
Just made final payment on my new MagnaCharger kit!
Should have it in several weeks.

Still do not know about the online instructions saying that you have to use at least 92 octane? I thought you ony had to have at a minimum, 91 octane?

Old 05-06-2002, 03:22 AM
iron horse

Use the highest octane unleaded gas available to prevent detonation, pinging, etc..

Old 05-06-2002, 01:51 PM
News Flash!!!!!!

In the latest edition of Sport Truck mag., they show the install of a MagnaCharger in a Chevy 4.8. In the article, they say this Magnacharger kit is designed to run on 87 octane!!!!!!!!!!!!
again, this magnacharger kit is designed to run on 87 octane!!!!!!

Is that a misprint? I just got the mag. and will read and reread and post more later.

If this is true, it will change the performance modification industry!

Does anybody know anything about this? Will I be able to have my 4.6 magnacharger modified to run on 87 octane as well?

Old 05-06-2002, 05:39 PM
I just looked in my Magnacharger instructions and it does say 92 or better. If you can only get 91 I would think this would be ok. You will want a flip chip with a side for the "not so good" gas.
Perhaps it is possible to use 87 on some of the Magnachargers. In my research I learned that detonation is you engines worst enemy, especially blown. If it is an economic thing, it may be possible to allow yourself certian times to get on it and other times to take it easy to conserve. To me it is worth the money to ensure that I don't fry a piston or something. The more power we get out of these engines the smaller the margin of error. I think it's a good idea to use every thing we can to keep things running smooth.

Old 05-06-2002, 11:30 PM
My concern about 91 octane as opposed to 92 is that I would have to drive 30 to 40 miles in any direction from my home to get 93 octane (we have 87, 89, 91, or 93).

I think the new 87 octane Magna kit uses some type of bypass valve that enables it to operate properly on 87 octane? My concern is that from the article, it appears to produce the same level of gains as a Magna on higher octane.

Old 05-30-2002, 08:16 PM
Update:

I was finally able to get final payment to the guy. My MagnaCharger kit is on its way right now. I should have it by this weekend!

Old 05-30-2002, 08:56 PM
When you get it in, see if you have the parts list. If you don't I, or probably some one else here could get it to you. I think it's a good idea to make sure everything is there before you start the install. The parts list contains all the parts, even thoes already assembled. It confused the he!! out of me at first.
There are a bunch here who can help you out if you need it. I'll do what I can. I think you will find it pretty easy. I didn't have a whole lot of experiance (just valve cover gaskets, water pumps, alternators, and things like that) and I thought it was pretty easy.
Your almost there! (did you put away some money for new tires? )

Old 05-30-2002, 10:02 PM
Wittom,

Thank you very, very much. I had hoped that I could access your expertise, when the time comes to install it. It was insane trying to get the seller his money. But I did, he confirmed it and emailed me last night that he is sending it out today.

The seller did say that he was shipping me the intake and the supercharger unit and that, the rest of the kit will come directly from Allen Engine Development. He said that they put the kits together for the MagnaCharger?

He also had to know if I had a 99' or newer, which I do. He said that those models must have upgraded fuel rails as well as other parts. He is sending those as well.

He also talked about many other parts that I will be receiving including a "heat exhanger". Is that another term for the intercooler? He also mentioned something about a waterpump? Do I have to change the water pump as well? He said that I was getting the "full upgrade kit" but, I did not think I had to change the water pump?

Old 05-30-2002, 10:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... IRON HORSE : The "HEAT EXCHANGER" is a small radiator that helps to cool the coolant that runs through the intercooler. The intercooler it'self is actually inside the upper intake manifold. The compressor (supercharger) blows it's compressed air through the intercooler into the intake, which in turn delivers that air to each intake port in the cylinder heads. Well since we all know that air gets HOT when compressed, the intercooler helps cut down on this super heated air entering your engine. The intercooler runs off of it's own coolant system. Some what like your engine use's a rad to cool it down. Think of a intercooler as a "RAD" for your supercharger. Now the "HEAT EXCHANGER" is a "RAD" for your intercooler. Because your intercooler is located inside your intake manifold, there is no way to cool it down with air. So the heat exchanger mounts to the front of your truck, usually in front of your radiator or A/C condensor. The cool air while driving cools down the heat exchanger which has coolant flowing through it from the intercooler, there for cooling the intercooler it'self down. Now thw "WATER PUMP" that was told to you was most likely meant to be a "INTERCOOLER PUMP", which is basically a electric pump (looks like a electric fuel pump) that is designed to circulate the coolant though the closed loop of the intercooler and heat exchanger. Hope this clears things up a bit for you. Once you get your kit you will see exactly what I'm talking about.

Last edited by Neal; 05-30-2002 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-30-2002, 10:47 PM
Neal,

Thanks for taking the time and effort to explain in detail. Details are good, very good. iron horse like details. Details are friend.

Old 06-02-2002, 10:05 AM
ground shipping can be slow!, but at least my supercharger will finally be here next week. I really want to use this thread to show the trials and tribulations of what happens when an idiot (me) goes down the pathway of supercharging a truck. May help someone eles......yeah right. But I had to mention the following...

I was in the Lightning section, trying to find out how much lower a stock Lightning is as compared to a stock F-150 (still don't know), when I came across a thread by a guy named chat aka "38 top gun".

This guy has taken a Lightning and has two (2) superchargers installed! that flow 1200 cfms, with 50 lb. injectors. Somehow, this guy has (he says a 20 year old engineer employed by him, did it) developed a way to use the a/c compressor to aid in cooling down the air?

He says he has over 500 hp/tq at the rearwheel! He also said that he has approx. 700 hp/tq at the flywheel! What the he**!

Then the other day, I was flipping through the Nov. 2001, issue of SportTruck. I was reading about the SportTruck Challenge 2001. 9 trucks competed through the slalom, 1/4, etc. Of course I was interested in the 1/4 miles times (did not have 0-60 times) and what made them go that fast. A 92' Chevy came in first with a 1/4 time of 14.62 @ 100.31 mph. It had a Vortech supercharger (centrifugel) 96' LT4 Corvette engine. Second place went to a Ford...yaaah! But, it was a F-250!?! It ran a 14.972 @ 90.41 mph in the 1/4. It had a Vortech sueprcharger as well. Felt pretty good because there are guys on this site getting better times than that.

So, I am flipping through the mag, when I stumble upon a story about the Dakota R/T Club's National Meet. They have blown Dakota's with 5.9 engines in the little trucks that can run in the 11 and 12 second range!!! I 'm just hoping to get into the 14 second range. Are there any street driven late model F-150s out there capable of 11 or 12 seconds in the 1/4 mile?

Old 06-02-2002, 07:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... "11's or 12's in a regular F-15O"??????? Not yet , you'll have to wait till I get my supercharger on!LOL!

Quick Reply: MagnaCharger vs. Ken Bell vs. Powerdyne