What Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 11:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question What Supercharger?

I'm planning on supercharging my 5.4 this summer. I've been looking at the ATI, but I found out that the ATI makes 351 RWHP and 421 pounds of torque. I believe they go for about 4k. But Lightnings make comprable horsepower and more torque and I could probabley get a kit for about half the ATI. Plus the aftermarket is bigger for the charger on the lightning. I researched the Holley Thunder, but its numbers werent too impressive, escpecially for close to 6k. Whipples are good quality, but I don't think the numbers are as high as I want. What are everyones suggestions? I'm sure I could use the extra 2k with the lightnings supercharger to soop it up over the ATI. Or would the ATI be more reliable? Just to help guide suggestions- I'm getting it this summer so I can work two jobs the afford the supercharger.

Old 03-29-2002, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While searchig for information about superchargers for my truck, I concluded that much of the cost for a kit directly relates to reliability. The two kits that Crash! mentioned give you all you need to have a supercharged truck. You don't "need" anything more, although there are a few reccomended upgrades. The parts are designed to work with our trucks. This makes installation that much easier and any alteration is minimal.
I think in the near future there will be a "Lightning" supercharger. There certainly is the demand for it. I think it's important to remember that a Lightning does't have the same 5.4 (as the other F150's) with a suprecharger bolted to it. They have made many of the componants stronger to handle the added power. If and when a "Lightning" kit comes out I think that it would not be identicle to what is on the Lightning. They will have to desigh it for reliability.
I ended up with the Magnacharger. It is an awsome kit. Installation was easier than I expected. My truck RIPS now. I really like it! Can I compete with Lightnings? No. I know there really isn't a simple bolt on kit that will do that for me. In real world driving situations, the supercharger has given me rank on the roadways. This feels good! I expect to drop a full two seconds (hopefully more) in the quarter. That would be nice!
I did a bit of research on the Procharger. It seems like a real good set up. I decided that I wanted to be able to take atvantage of more boost at lower RPM, that is why I choose the Magnacharger. The more I hear about the ATI, the more I would like to try it. It'll have to wait till I can get my hands on another truck.
Unfortunatly there isn't an inexpensive reliable kit out there (that I know of). It might take a bit longer to save but it will be worth it!

Have fun!
Tom

Old 03-29-2002, 11:41 PM
Wittom,

You mean even with the magnacharger set-up you can not accelerate as fast as a late model Lightning? Is this true if you were/are at maximum non-damaging engine psi?

Since we have similar set-ups (except I have auto trans.), I was going to see how the magna performed on your 4.6L. You can "white smoke the tires"?

But, you can not accelerate as fast as a Lightning?

Old 03-30-2002, 02:33 AM
Iron Horse,

You will find a great deal of debate on what is considred max boost you can run without damaging things. In a recent test on a Mustang MM&FF ran boost levels as high as 18 psi, and got 418 HP at the wheels from a two valve 4.6.

As for acceleration vs the Lightning you have to keep several things in mind. The L was built for a blower, with larger injectors, programming for the blower, heavy duty trans, axle, sticky tires, etc. In short the L comes stock with the things that a complete package, such as Crash and Skid are working on, will have. Add to this the fact that the average L owner probably spends more time on average at the track, which will help them get better times due to the higher chance of running under good track and weather conditions.

Old 03-30-2002, 06:25 PM
No, Iron Horse, I cannot accelerate as fast as a Lightning. The 4.6 is a great motor but starting with 220 hp makes it difficult to get enough power to compete with the Lightnings. I don't have that kind of money.
I am preasantly running at stock Magnacharger boost levels. I think its around 5psi (no guage yet). I will upgrade the pully but I also will need to upgrade some other things at the same time. I believe that 5psi is plenty safe on this truck. There are some running 9psi, and they feel it's safe.
Assuming I have a gain of 50%, I would be in the 330hp range (at the flywheel). This is an estimated number, I haven't been to a dyno yet.
Flats Man has a lot of information on the 4.6/Magnacharger set up. He has posted something like 287rwhp, with the 9lb. pully. He has done many of the upgrades necessary to get great power out of the supercharged 4.6. We are both running '98 STX F150's. He has the auto trans. I would venture to guess that I am getting somewhere around 260-270 at the rear wheels. I would like to think that the manual trans gives me a couple more. A stock Lightning is getting better that 320 to the rear. The only way I see being competetive with that is to rebuild the engine. I would also need to address the sloppy shifting transmission.
I wouldn't say I am dissapointed that I can't compete with the Lightnings. I think, with what I paid (am paying) for the truck and the upgrades, I have a 22k truck (I bought the truck used with 15k mi.). I couldn't touch a new Lightning around here for under 32k (something like 28k used). I think I'm doing ok!
White smoke the tires? Well the manual trans makes that pretty easy, even without a supercharger. I have to be careful to not white smoke the tires with the supercharger.
More than trying to be competetive, I have really enjoyed the experiance of upgrading my truck. I don't have too much experiance with vehicles. It has been a blast learning about all this stuff. I would like to take another year or so to tinker with this truck and then hopefully be able to afford a Lightning too.

Tom

Old 03-31-2002, 12:45 PM
Cannot understand the opening thread remark about the Holley "numbers weren't to impressive", unless we were reading different articles. These numbers were what made my decision to go with the Holley, even tho the cost was more ($4995.00). At the time, I was unaware of this site and after reading Crash's comments over several months, I might have gone with the Magnacharger instead, but am completely satisfied with the Holley. My only problem is I would like to have it dynoed, but unable to find anyone in the area.

Old 03-31-2002, 09:22 PM
the numbers were impressive, but for the price they gave (6200) was too much, considering the numbers were lower than the lightnings.

Old 03-31-2002, 11:18 PM
Wittom,

Thanks for the detailed info. I am agonizing right now as how to proceed. Do I continue to save for a used Magna set-up or do I get other mods that lead up to a supercharger?

What the? You could white smoke your tires with a stock 4.6L? Besides the manual trans. what eles did you do? Would you "power brake" rev the engine and then release?

Or did mods. other than the supercharger allow you to do that?

Old 04-01-2002, 07:09 PM
Iron Horse, I cannot say that I have "white smoked the tires, as I think you are picturing it.
This truck has some real good torque. Get the revs up there and dump the clutch and the wheels are spinning. If you keep the revs up the tires won't bite.
Actually the traction bars do a great job of getting the tires to bite, and hard! I have replaced all four tires at 130 a piece. I would like to get decent miles with these tire so I try not to spin them if I can help it.

As far as how to procede with mods. Well, I started with the chip, then exhaust, then the FIPK. I got hooked, bad. When this section started I would read about what was going on with superchargers. I just had to know what it was like to drive a supercharged vehicle. It may not be the wisest move I've ever made, but I'm not turning back now!
It's expensive! I have never done anything like this before. I just keep praying that I didn't make a mistake thats giong to cost me.
The only thing I would say is take it slow.

Don't let the mod bug get you too bad!

Have fun!

Old 04-01-2002, 09:40 PM
I did a lot of research before I chose the Kenne Bell supercharger. I was origiinally going to go with the Holly Thunder, but that setup needed a modified alternator. The KB setup was a simple but long setup. A full weekend project. All pieces of kit was there...the most difficult setup was getting the lighting to work on the gauge pods i put on the post (not included in kit)
I love the instanteous boost after 2000 rpm that the KB gives...and the boost is constant throught the rpm range. With the blower and a tuned perfomance superchip... i do as well, if not better than stock lightnings. My 60ft times were 1.9 or 2 flat with 0-60 in 5.9. Then I went nuts...with NOS, injectors,fuel pumps rails, electric fans, waterpumps, traction bars,etc.. so now my tuner is anticipating low 13s on the blower with high 12's on the juice.... not bad for a 5800 lb longbed excab

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...y.cfm?gnum=824

Old 04-01-2002, 10:00 PM
that is one BAD A** truck BTB
great job

Quick Reply: What Supercharger?